Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wing adjustability.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004 | 07:49 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Default Rear wing adjustability.

I read in one of the mags in the UK that our rear wing is adjustable.
I was told by my SA that the wing isn't adjustable, but it looks like it is, as there are a couple of small holes on the inside of the uprights.
Has anyone made any changes to it, and if so what are the consequences of those changes?
Old 02-12-2004 | 08:05 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Yes, you can adjust the rear wing by using these factory shims:

Old 02-13-2004 | 11:43 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Part numbers are:

You need two 996 512 821 90 Adjusting Mechanism Shim= 4 degrees tilt or two 996 512 823 90 Adjusting Mechanism Shim= 8 degrees tilt

They are available at your local Porsche dealer, I paid around $50 for both pairs.

The dealer will have the numbers in their price book, not in their parts illustrations.
Old 02-13-2004 | 11:48 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Damn, too late, I just PayPal'd Gert $125 for the two parts, that's more than double!
I won't be buying from there again at that kind of mark up!!
Old 02-13-2004 | 11:53 AM
mds
Pro

Rear wing tilt will lower the car's top speed and bias high speed cornering balance toward understeer. To compensate, try lowering the front of the car slightly and adjust the anti-roll bar to add grip in the front. Low speed balance will suffer, it is a compromise.
Old 02-13-2004 | 12:02 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by macfly
Damn, too late, I just PayPal'd Gert $125 for the two parts, that's more than double!
I won't be buying from there again at that kind of mark up!!
Andrew, FWIW, Cupcar bought his shims last year before two price increases. Gert's prices are not overly marked-up, but the results of our weak dollar against the Euro. At the very least, you get unparalleled service from a Rennlist sponsor.
Old 02-13-2004 | 01:14 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Rear wing tilt will lower the car's top speed and bias high speed cornering balance toward understeer. To compensate, try lowering the front of the car slightly and adjust the anti-roll bar to add grip in the front. Low speed balance will suffer, it is a compromise.
That is a great help, thanks mds

As the issue I'm having is with the feel of the high speed handling these aero shims I've ordered may not really help. I was looking to make the car more stable, and more planted. The idea of high speed understeer requiring a slight lift at 120 in turn 8 really doesn't appeal, since I've already had this car come around on me at 100+ for doing exactly that!

Maybe my solution is in the rear toe, hopefully when those shims arrive I'll find that my alignment wasn't set up right.
Old 02-13-2004 | 03:08 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Mac - The shims are fun to experiment with. Easier to work with than the hidder adjuster screw on the GT2 wing. MDS gave good advice on what to expect with the wing adjustment. If I were you I would get a good shop to do a track alignment before playing with anything else. Alwyn Springer told me that these cars (GT2/3) are very sensitive to alignment and ride height adjustments. This was confirmed by Johannes Von Overbeeks crew chief at the Rolex Grand Am last fall.
Regards
Old 02-13-2004 | 03:56 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally posted by Viken
Andrew, FWIW, Cupcar bought his shims last year before two price increases. Gert's prices are not overly marked-up, but the results of our weak dollar against the Euro. At the very least, you get unparalleled service from a Rennlist sponsor.
I'll second what Viken said above. Its too bad the exchange rate with the Euro. I have always looked forward to buying 993 items from Gert. His service and fast shipping were always GREAT!

Too bad there wasnt another way to get GERT's stuff into the country and get around the lousy exchange rate...
Old 02-13-2004 | 04:17 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Inadequate initial (static) toe-in will result in the back of the car steering itself - oversteering for no apparent reason and that makes the driver nervous

Indeed that is what I'll be doing, the aerokit shim swap doesn't sound like it will help me in my quest for better high speed mid corner stability.
Old 02-13-2004 | 04:54 PM
mds
Pro

macfly, be extra careful about toe measurements, there are a lot of conventions, millimeters, inches, fractions of degree, minutes, all measured per wheel or total. And for those measuring in millimeters or inches, what is the diameter with respect to that these are measured against: wheel diameter, outer tire tread diameter, whatever? Too confusing. Mistakes are guaranteed. Even if you explain your conventions carefully to your tech, they can get it wrong sometimes no matter how good they are. The factory specs I quoted from the workshop manual are especially confusing because the front is specified total and the rear per wheel. Crazy.
Old 02-13-2004 | 05:11 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

I too have received many wonderful things from Gert at Carnewal and he is THE reliable source for the here unobtainable racing parts and ROW only pieces.

I know Porsche Motorsport is supposed to come across with the goods, but try to get anything. A friend recently tried to get a GT3RS rear wing out of them and they said they never heard of such a thing, and if such a thing existed it would take months to get. Yadayadayada.....they didn't want the business.

The RS wing is on the way from Gert, ordered this week, may be here next week, my friend can hardly wait .

For some reason, the price on the shims is out of whack with Gert's normal pricing and it makes me wonder if someone made an error.

Having said all that, I think we should also support PCNA bringing these parts to us in the USA in the first place. The parts are readily available to Europeans, why not us? Look at the performance parts programs that Nissan, Chrysler, Ford, Chevrolet, hell, I think even Subaru has a performance parts program, why not Porsche? The stuff is all there.

My Nissan 350Z is a good example, I have bought suspension and Aero kits from the Nissan Nismo program. I am also going to buy a limited slip differential, lightweight flywheel, forged alloy wheels and a Brembo brake system form Nismo. These are parts that fit, work, and even come with good illustrated instructions.

PCNA is running scared of our US legal environment and preferrs not to get involved with speed parts, hence we are deprived.

Last edited by Cupcar; 02-13-2004 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-13-2004 | 08:03 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

I have yet to try and buy anything from PMNA but when I ran into Alwin Springer and the Porsche folks doing pre-LeMans testing at Sebring last May I was told there would be no problem buying the GT3 racing parts from them.
Old 02-13-2004 | 08:47 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Real racing parts for a Porsche racing car are no problem from PMNA, particularly if they know you *really* own one such as a GT3 Cup, GT3 RSR etc.

It's the performance European street parts they don't want to deal with like the GT3 RS wing pictured below.

Also for some reason it seems Gert can get the parts quicker sometimes.

Old 02-13-2004 | 09:01 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Wow, now that's a wing!!

From this post what I seem to understand is the wings plant the rear more, and lead to more of an understeer at speed. How would a big wing like this change the car from the regular GT3 wing we have, would it make a noticable difference?

Quick Reply: Rear wing adjustability.