Sponsored by:

Ignition report

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019 | 08:40 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Default Ignition report

Looking at a GT3 with the below ignition report:

anything to be concerned with? I know that no range 2’s is great but how about all these range 1’s? Does this mean that out of the 849 hours the vehicle has operated it was at redline 815 hours? That’s can’t be possible, can it? I assume I’m reading this wrong. Help!!
Old 04-24-2019 | 09:08 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Originally Posted by GBX

anything to be concerned with? I know that no range 2’s is great but how about all these range 1’s? Does this mean that out of the 849 hours the vehicle has operated it was at redline 815 hours? That’s can’t be possible, can it? I assume I’m reading this wrong. Help!!
It has 13,000 ignition counts at the rev limiter over the life of the engine. The last rev limiter count was at 815 hours...so 35 hours of use ago.

Doing quick math, the car has spent 30-35 SECONDS total at the rev limiter over it's life...this time is the total accumulation of all of those counts.

Unless you are looking at at 10k mile garage queen (which you aren't given the hours of operation) I wouldn't worry one bit about that range 1 number.
Old 04-24-2019 | 09:35 AM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GBX

Nothing to worry about. Range 1 is redline, and the last time it was at redline was 35 hours ago. This is a perfectly acceptable over-rev report for a 996 GT3.
Old 04-24-2019 | 10:01 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

As other's said, don't worry about it. Getting to range one is where all the fun happens

FYI, here is the last report I ran. Like 5X the range one.

Originally Posted by GBX

Old 04-24-2019 | 11:57 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Great. Thanks guys! Now just need to sell my 993.....
Old 04-24-2019 | 12:14 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Good luck!! Don’t delay! Sell 993 after!
Old 04-24-2019 | 12:34 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
Good luck!! Don’t delay! Sell 993 after!
great advise! Any particular reason or is the 6GT3 just that good?
Old 04-24-2019 | 01:57 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GBX
great advise! Any particular reason or is the 6GT3 just that good?
Easy. I have owned a lot of cars (and currently have a few of differing vintages/characters (see sig below). The 996 gt3 is my favorite. Hands down. There are lots of faster cars. There are a few cars that handle better out of the box, and there may be a few (I have not driven them) that have a better road feel. But nothing I have experienced, nothing, ticks all the boxes like a 6-3. Nothing (imho of course). The overall package, when you consider price, looks, handling, speed, reliability, rarity, track-worthiness, coolness factor, etc..., bests anything else out there, by a mile. I could go buy a Huracan or 991 gt3rs tomorrow if I wanted but for me its all about value, in other words, cost per enjoyment factor. Sure, there are tons of cars that I would probably enjoy more than a 6-3, but they all come at a cost 2-3x more than a 6-3, so the decision is easy, since I'm sure the enjoyment would not be 2-3x greater. And for me at least, a 6 gt3 is just the sweetspot. And I love that they are so rare. you just don't see them. They are raw (in a good way...my 911 sc is rawer lol!), but still very modern and livable. They are raucous. They demand your attention. The scream and pull above 5.5k to redline is not replicated in any other car (except the new mezger gt3's, but even then I prefer the raw 996 scream to redline more than my old 997 gt3). Also, with a few well-selected mods and weight reduction, they can be made even more visceral, more raucous, more nimble, and more quick (definitely quicker than a 997.1 gt3, based on my personal experience). Plus, I have yet to loose money on one, and I think that someday good cars may in fact be worth quite a bit more than the newer gt3 offerings. Just my two cents. I love these things. Even my ratty high mileage, blemished history car with tons of type 1's and some type 2's! I'm happy every time I sit in that car.
Old 04-24-2019 | 05:48 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Easy. I have owned a lot of cars (and currently have a few of differing vintages/characters (see sig below). The 996 gt3 is my favorite. Hands down. There are lots of faster cars. There are a few cars that handle better out of the box, and there may be a few (I have not driven them) that have a better road feel. But nothing I have experienced, nothing, ticks all the boxes like a 6-3. Nothing (imho of course). The overall package, when you consider price, looks, handling, speed, reliability, rarity, track-worthiness, coolness factor, etc..., bests anything else out there, by a mile. I could go buy a Huracan or 991 gt3rs tomorrow if I wanted but for me its all about value, in other words, cost per enjoyment factor. Sure, there are tons of cars that I would probably enjoy more than a 6-3, but they all come at a cost 2-3x more than a 6-3, so the decision is easy, since I'm sure the enjoyment would not be 2-3x greater. And for me at least, a 6 gt3 is just the sweetspot. And I love that they are so rare. you just don't see them. They are raw (in a good way...my 911 sc is rawer lol!), but still very modern and livable. They are raucous. They demand your attention. The scream and pull above 5.5k to redline is not replicated in any other car (except the new mezger gt3's, but even then I prefer the raw 996 scream to redline more than my old 997 gt3). Also, with a few well-selected mods and weight reduction, they can be made even more visceral, more raucous, more nimble, and more quick (definitely quicker than a 997.1 gt3, based on my personal experience). Plus, I have yet to loose money on one, and I think that someday good cars may in fact be worth quite a bit more than the newer gt3 offerings. Just my two cents. I love these things. Even my ratty high mileage, blemished history car with tons of type 1's and some type 2's! I'm happy every time I sit in that car.
love reading this! Gets me excited! What mods and weight reduction do you recommend?
Old 04-24-2019 | 06:29 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GBX
love reading this! Gets me excited! What mods and weight reduction do you recommend?
The easy stuff is to gut the front trunk of all tools, plastic panels, carpet, etc (about -20 lbs).... Then I deleted my washer bottle tank as I'm in AZ and don't drive in rain anyway (with fluid that is easy 15lb reduction). Just need to disable the washer level sensor then no light. You can also drop like 30 lbs easy with a light weight battery (factory spec is a boat anchor and only down side is need for a tender if you don't drive it frequently). I also have light weight wheels (ccw's, say approx -20lbs for all four corners), then fixed back bucket seats (probably about -30 to 40 lbs from memory). Floating rotors like girodisc are expensive but lose about 10lbs of rolling weight I believe. So right there you have a reduction of about 135lbs right there without going crazy by gutting carpets and deleting radio's or ac's. Then, the other big one is exhaust. I did the 997 gt3 center exit conversion and it saved like 70lbs. So for me I'm at just around 200lbs less than oem weight, and you can definitely feel that in acceleration, turn in, and overall feel. The car is wicked fun.
Old 04-25-2019 | 08:53 AM
RossP
Rennlist Member

And I love that they are so rare. you just don't see them.
This is very true, and I never really realized it until I bought one. I have only seen two others in Atlanta, and I go to Porsche cars and coffee, caffeine and octane, caffeine and exotics (all big car shows). I'm sure there are more out there but apparently they dont get out much!

Quick Reply: Ignition report