Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any ideas on how to retofit the Bose Sound system in the GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 07:33 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Any ideas on how to retofit the Bose Sound system in the GT3?

The radio in the GT3 is not really good at all.

I tested the radio in a Bose equiped Carrera 2002, and it sounds beautiful.

I was thinking that getting the door panel with the speakers mounts, replacing the front and rear speakers and installing the door speakers from the Bose option, plus the front trunk amplifier will solve the issue.

The 2003 Turbo use the same radio than the GT3. However it has the Bose sound system.

Any idea on cost?

Can I ask the dealer to perform this work?
Old 02-09-2004, 11:24 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It all depends on how flexible the dealer's service department is. I believe you'll find the GT3 wiring harness lacks the wires for the standard sound system so they'd have to run additional wiring. You may be better off going to a company that specializes in car audio systems who'd be used to custom wiring. They may look at you funny if you want them to install the OEM Bose system though.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:52 AM
Claxton
Track Day

I rarely turn on the radio. I enjoy the sound of the engine much more. Why drown it out???

Old 02-10-2004, 01:02 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,762 Likes on 2,361 Posts

if you need radio in a gt3, perhaps you chose the wrong car?
Old 02-10-2004, 01:35 AM
mds
Pro

My solution:

Old 02-10-2004, 02:17 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

In reference to the picture of that A/C delete GT3 above , in the temperate Palo Alto area of SF Bay Area , I probably use the A/C no more than 6 times a year on my Porsche . In fact , from 1975 -1983, none of my cars even had A/C and I never even wished I had it,and that was even driving often through 110 degree heat to the Central Valley on many weekends.
If there were an A/C delete option for US 911s, I'd spec it at order time .
Old 02-10-2004, 02:21 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

LOL!!!

I forgot to prevent hard core racing posts on my topic.

Believe me guys. I considered a Z06, M3, C2 and C4S 911 to replace my Boxster S. All of them have better sound system than a GT3. I didn't consider a 996 Turbo, because they are too heavy, and even on instructors hands, I was able to catch up them in a Boxster S.

I finally ordered a GT3 because I was tired of 911 Turbos, Z06, Cobras, M3s, loosing me in front straights, and them waiting for most of them to pull over on the twisties. In addition, the Boxster S is a too civilized car to drive (boring...)

Mooty: The GT3 already have a radio. It's the right car.

MDS: I like your hard core, no A/C dashboard. However, don't let people to notice that pair of Cup holders.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:42 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,762 Likes on 2,361 Posts

mds, i think you have the purest gt3 out there. if i knew i could delete AC, i would. did you do the gt3 console delete yourself or did loren help out. also, i use the center console to brace my right leg when i corner hard, can you do that with console delete? or are you held in place tight enough wiht harness?
Old 02-10-2004, 09:40 AM
Steve N.
Racer

I believe I once read that Porsche did not install the Bose system in the GT2 because rear suspension mounting differences between the GT2 and the turbo did not allow sufficient space for the "woofer". May be true for the GT3 as well.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:42 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

There is a radio in the GT3? Seriously, the sound system is a true afterthought with very poor sound production. Frankly, I rarely use mine. But to answer your question... if I were to install a proper system, the last thing I would do would be to install the Bose system. You could build your own system cheaper, easier, and it will sound better by going for quality aftermarket parts. First, you are on the right track with the door panels with the speaker pods. Install a proper headunit, a 2 channel amp, and a 3 way component system with a 6.5" behind the door and a 4" and tweeter in the dash. Focal, Quart, and JL have such 3 way systems. Remove some of the weight now by pulling out the rear speakers as they are not heard in any 996. Just make sure it can all be returned to stock...
Old 02-10-2004, 03:18 PM
mds
Pro

John, I did the console delete using rockitman's DIY. Loren helped me with the radio removal as a special tool is needed to defeat the anti-theft mechanism. With the console out there is nothing to brace your leg against. But yes this is not a problem with the ROW seats and harnesses.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:13 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 957 Likes on 583 Posts

After you upgrade the stereo, then you can add soundproofing, a sunroof, more cupholders, rear seats,
Old 02-11-2004, 12:46 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by mds
My solution:

LMFAO!!! That radio must be made by stealth corporation...
Old 02-12-2004, 02:13 AM
Jared W.
Instructor

Dont bother upgrading to the Bose system. The Bose is OK as far as stock stereos go, but for the same price you can get a much better system, and still preserve the stock look. I suggest checking out McIntosh car audio equipment; they will give you the best sound using just the stock GT3 speaker enclosures. Personally, I would keep the Becker head unit to preserve the stock look inside the cab, add a Mcintosh amplifier to power the two front and two rear speakers (and possibly a small sub, if thats your thing), then use Focal Utopia speakers in the stock slots. This is what I did with my '91 C2 cab, and it sounds fantastic. My dad plans on doing the same in his GT2, which takes the same size speakers as my C2, incidentally.
Old 02-12-2004, 03:19 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Focal Utopia or MB Quart Q Series?

Mcintosh or a/d/s ?

I'm planning to replace the Fiber Optic based Becker head unit with a MP3 head unit with internal 10Gb hard drive ( 150 CDs without the weight)

Quick Reply: Any ideas on how to retofit the Bose Sound system in the GT3?