GT-3 first impressions and VS. 73 RS

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 12:50 AM
9caregiver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT-3 first impressions and VS. 73 RS

Greetings,

Finally in the seat of my GT-3 today after a long wait. The car is awsome. These are my personal observations and opinions: Even steady power all the way through the rev range but really turns on after 5,500. Suspension was unexpectedly comfortable but firm on the 100+ mile trip back from the dealer. It just does not like the big bumps or any section of bumpiness which does unsettle the car (Winter roads in New York). I have read alot of complaints from people who feel the car is too stiff so I was worried some that the car would be too extreme. It is not. I would place the firmness somewhere between an RS America and the Cup USA / Carrera RS. I felt the Cup USA was just too stiff for any long ammount of time. I can also see if someone were used to another modern Porsche then driving a GT-3, feeling that it was too stiff. It is no standard Carrera by any stretch. It is an extreme noisy bad *** 911 all the way. Know it going in. I am thankfull to have one.

The negatives which may be just personal is the car feels big and a bit heavy compared to the older 911s I have been driving. I think I will get used to that and the new view over those different fenders. I also feel a bit isolated which is not a big deal on the street but for the track I want to feel the car through my backside. The addition of a plastic seat without the lower cushion should do the trick. Now the biggie. I love this car but dissagree with Excellence that it has knocked the 73 RS off it's pedistal. For as awsome as this car is it still lacks the lightness, agility and driver feedback of my RS. Which to me is a big part of the fun factor. Naturally the GT3 performs better all around than the 30 year old RS, I am talking driver sensations. Of course these are my observations on the street. On the track it may be another story but there is no escaping the 3,000+ pounds of the GT3. If they could only have it down to cup weight....Bottom line, great car. You could not expect more from a Porsche built today.

Best,

Don

Last edited by 9caregiver; 02-05-2004 at 01:19 AM.
Old 02-05-2004, 01:43 AM
curtsm
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't have an RS, but one thing if you're into mods for your car: I got GT3 seats. I felt there was a much better connection to the car.

There's a lot less of that feeling you mention with the new seats of being "isolated".

- curt
Old 02-05-2004, 01:57 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have to agree on the weight factor. On the suspension i felt that the GT-3 was dampened correctly for the street - very soft compaired to my Cup USA. the overall feel however was very controlled esp. predicatable, just not as "chuckable" as my cup nor as solid. That said i love the GT-3 and feel it is one of the best modern P-cars out there this side of an GT-3 RS.
I love the 73' RS - and would perfer it to the 964 cup usa about 50% of the time.
- I have driven all these and if i only had 100K or so spend on a road car it would in all likely hood be on the GT-3. My problem is the Cup car and the RS really pull at my heart strings.
I own a Cup USA - so i'm a bit biased i guess

Do you currently have all 3 in your stable?
Old 02-05-2004, 02:43 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Hey Cupcar#12, could you post some shots of your cars please, love to see them all together!!

Old 02-05-2004, 11:49 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

i don't own the Trifecta - Just a Cup USA and a few 356's right now.
my "stable" is in sad shape right now actually, the Cup car suffered shunt due to my over exubreance and my other 356 is in VA being turned into a race car for the La Carrera Panamericana - but it is a long way off right now. The Cup car will join it in the body shop this spring.
I just have been lucky enough to get to drive a GT-3 and a 73 RS over a three day weekend recently, back to back. What a ton of fun. I wish they were mine - maybe once the body shop bills stop.

the Irish Green 911 is NOT an RS - just a 69' - since moved on to another family
Old 02-05-2004, 12:53 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Wow, that Irish green is a pretty color, really looks classic, I haven't seen a car that color before I don't think. Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-05-2004, 01:54 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

it was a neat color - but my Favorite early 911's were Tangerene (a 73' E) and Panamerican Blue (another 69' S) - wish i had never gotten rid of those.
Love the Shocking colors
Old 02-05-2004, 03:03 PM
9caregiver
Racer

Rob,

I no longer have the Cup Car but have the 73 RS and RSA.

Best,

Don
Old 02-05-2004, 06:55 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Don,
No sure if i have info on your cup car for the Carrera Cup USA registry.
could you PM or email the details on your old C Cup USA.
still a great stable with a 73 RS and a GT-3
Old 02-05-2004, 07:34 PM
Madcaplaughs
Advanced

An intelligent summary, Rennman. I do not think it possible in 2004 to build a road legal car to compare to the 73 RS. However the seats fitted as standard to the USA GT3 cars are not helping. Try and get UK spec Recaros fitted and you will be amazed at the difference.

I am fortunate to have a GT3 RS and although I have never driven a 73 RS I am sure that the 2004 version is as good a match for driver thrills as is possible today.

Enjoy your GT3!
Old 02-05-2004, 09:23 PM
9caregiver
Racer

Thanks, I will be ordering seats.

Best,

Don
Old 02-05-2004, 09:55 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I have driven what calims to be a 73 RS. It was a blast. It was also about ten seconds a lap slower than a GT3. Yeah the new car is heavier but it sure is a lot faster.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:24 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: GT-3 first impressions and VS. 73 RS

Originally posted by RENNMAN
It just does not like the big bumps or any section of bumpiness which does unsettle the car (Winter roads in New York).
Don:

Congrats!!! Where in NY are you from??? Any pics of your new horse??? Would love to see some in addition to the other classic horses in your stable. Best of luck with it.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:37 PM
9caregiver
Racer

I am on Long Is. I will take some pics of the car soon. More weather on the way tomarrow. I may need some help posting as I have not done that before. Thanks.

Don
Old 02-06-2004, 01:35 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

73 RS, RSA, and GT3. If you bought a 993 RS you would have my dream garage.

Just curious on why you sold your Carrera Cup and still have the RSA? I really love mine (obsessed really), and think I understand it's place in P history when compared to the others listed (not the Holy Grail those are). Do you use your RSA for track, or a daily driver, or ?.

I think I spend as much of more time on this forum than the 964 because if I had the money (hopefully in the next three years), I would have a GT3 as well....meaning I would still keep the RSA.

Thanks,

Jim

Quick Reply: GT-3 first impressions and VS. 73 RS