Winter DIY

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 06:53 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Winter DIY

Hi all,

Winter and time for some DIY maintaince.

First the very common crack on center muffler. Took it off yesterday and left it with a good welder to see if he can fix it.

Crack all along the seem and a few cracks

Last season I had a few brake related problems. ABS light that cut a few track days short.
So decided to do a long overdue brake renovation.
Here are some pics of piston and pucks that needs replacing,

Cracked puck

Puck fell out when pads where removed

I’ve decided to go with upgraded steel brake lines and install new ABS sensors.

However I would like to get your advice on rebuild kits?

Racing brake has a rebuild kit. $$$ Pricey. Came up to 850dollars for front and rear including high temp dust shields.

Anyone else that have found a good rebuild kit including pistons?

Old 01-31-2019, 10:36 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 934 Likes on 623 Posts

I have used the Racing Brake stainless pistons on two different 911's. They are excellent quality. I would avoid the silicone high temp dust shields until you have burned off any brake fluid that got on the area during the rebuild. If they get even a TRACE of brake fluid on them they will disintegrate in short order. On my GT3 I just used the standard boots. No problems so far after 1 year and many track days.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:36 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by Nickshu
I have used the Racing Brake stainless pistons on two different 911's. They are excellent quality. I would avoid the silicone high temp dust shields until you have burned off any brake fluid that got on the area during the rebuild. If they get even a TRACE of brake fluid on them they will disintegrate in short order. On my GT3 I just used the standard boots. No problems so far after 1 year and many track days.
Thanks Nick,

Good news with Racingbrake and thanks for the heads up on the dust shields. I went back to their web site and it was stated further down the page about the silicone sensitivity to brake fluid.

Peter
Old 01-31-2019, 04:53 PM
Rootwitch
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 33 Posts

I've also been thinking about getting the racing brake kits and have read other threads on them. Seems like they are high quality but high priced and maybe they oversell the benefits.
I always wondered how in the world one would keep brake fluid off the high temp silicone seals - they are brakes! Brake fluid gets all over doesn't it?
Old 01-31-2019, 06:07 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by Rootwitch
I've also been thinking about getting the racing brake kits and have read other threads on them. Seems like they are high quality but high priced and maybe they oversell the benefits.
I always wondered how in the world one would keep brake fluid off the high temp silicone seals - they are brakes! Brake fluid gets all over doesn't it?
There shouldnt be brake fluid around the outside of the pistons. If the calipers don’t leak.
But, good point from Nick in previous post. When you rebuild the calipers its probably very hard to keep the dust seals 100% fluid free. Probably a good idea to run a set of rubber dust seals until they crack and then change to the blue silicon seals?
Old 01-31-2019, 06:11 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

Center muffler? Is yours a 997?
Old 01-31-2019, 06:35 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by 177mph
Center muffler? Is yours a 997?
mine is a 996gt3 with an M&M aftermarket exhaust system.
Pretty common these crack when you delete the side mufflers. Picking up the muffler tomorrow and will hopefully have time to reinstall it over the weekend.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:04 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 934 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0

There shouldnt be brake fluid around the outside of the pistons. If the calipers don’t leak.
But, good point from Nick in previous post. When you rebuild the calipers its probably very hard to keep the dust seals 100% fluid free. Probably a good idea to run a set of rubber dust seals until they crack and then change to the blue silicon seals?
True but... I have just found it about impossible not to get a trace of brake fluid on the silicone boots when assembling. I try to limit my use of brake cleaner during a rebuild b/c it will eat the paint from painted calipers and will dull the gloss of powder coated caliipers. Literally a fingerprint of brake fluid in my experience will result in the silicone seals disintegrating.

My idea on my GT3 brakes when I built them last year was to put the standard seals in, burn off any traces of fluid during my first set of pads, then when I need to change pads I can swap to the high heat silicone seals. I just haven't gone through a set of pads yet.

Last edited by Nickshu; 01-31-2019 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:15 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by Nickshu
True but... I have just found it about impossible not to get a trace of brake fluid on the silicone boots when assembling. I try to limit my use of brake cleaner during a rebuild b/c it will eat the paint from painted calipers and will dull the gloss of powder coated caliipers. Literally a fingerprint of brake fluid in my experience will result in the silicone seals disintegrating.

My idea on my GT3 brakes when I built them last year was to put the standard seals in, burn off any traces of fluid during my first set of pads, then when I need to change pads I can swap to the high heat silicone seals. I just haven't gone through a set of pads yet.
I will definitely follow your advice,

Does anyone know the price difference between the Motorsport pistons and Racing brake.
I tried the search function but came up empty
Old 02-01-2019, 02:47 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 332 Likes on 203 Posts

Is there any difference between the Motorsport calipers and normal? I haven’t looked closesly at my cup car calipers but they run the same ceramic pucks as the road car. I figured they’re the same. I believe Demonspeed are currently looking into a similar material to manufacture new replacement pucks. From what I’ve read on here, seems this is the most preferable option, however pucks not currently available separately.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:44 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What size yellow pucks do you have not damaged ?. I'd be interested in them after your rebuild.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:55 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

The cracked pucks are very common especially with track use, and that issue alone is not a big deal. The most important thing is to look for fluid leaks or if the pistons get stuck. Even if you replace the dust shields they will look the same after repeated track usage.
I did the rebuild to put in new seals. The original ones looked pretty good. I put in new dust boots & seals (non-oem - concentric). Replaced a few of the pucks which are almost impossible to find. Inspected and cleaned the pistons. It is a bitch to get the pistons out.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:26 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got a collection of yellow pucks...let me know what sizes you have
Old 02-02-2019, 02:13 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
will do,

My plan is to remove the calipers tomorrow and start with the rebuild of the front.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:41 PM
Ohio Performance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 189 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Any chance of you selling one of the pucks? I have an idea...

Pm me
2007 C4S F77 Aerokit / 2004 E46 M3 / 2018 M3 comp

Quick Reply: Winter DIY