Sponsored by:

What do we think of this one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 07:31 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 828 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
The LSD simply wears out. On the street it isn't going to paint your day black and if it is worn out it will not cause the transmission to go ****-up.
Nice, pretty much only hear that from aviators!

Last edited by cgfen; 01-05-2019 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:08 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
Nice, pretty much only here that from aviators!
Generally we use "Tango Uniform". Speaking of which, my wife just picked out a new plane she wants, so the 6GT3 is going to go on the shelf for a bit. Hope I didn't waste any time, and appreciate the commentary on target(pun intended).
Old 01-05-2019, 08:36 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,004 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
Yeah, sounds just the same as the Cayenne. They are slip fittings and when they come loose, spray the engine with coolant, and make a gen mess. Since it's winter, I could drive it home with the pressure off the system to keep from blowing it, and repair at home. Thanks for info on LSD, that was as expected too. Maybe will go look at it.
I don't think that is the same issue. The V8 Cayenne uses/used a plastic pipe running under the intake manifold that would split.

To my knowledge, the V6 did not and I am not aware of any epoxied coolant fittings on the V6, which is a VW engine, by the way.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:44 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

I don't think that is the same issue. The V8 Cayenne uses/used a plastic pipe running under the intake manifold that would split.
There are multiple failure modes on the coolant pipes of the Cayenne. While not an exact replication of the problem with the 6GT3, the basic issue is a failure of the cooling delivery pipes, causing a massive flood of coolant. I have heard of pipe split, O-ring failure, pipe popped out of socket, etc. Results all the same.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:22 AM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

As much as I love my GT3, if I were in your situation I'd probably be looking for a 996/997TT, I had previously owned one, build another for the track before finding my GT3 (which I daily drove for a few years). The only times I miss the Turbo are commuting / long highway stretches were the extra torque for making passes is nice. If you're more handling / track focused and have nice twisty driving roads nearby then the NA sound and handling of a GT3 is worth it.

Swine11 ReBoot - 964 / 993 Shift Boot Trim Panel

2004 996 GT3 | 1986 Carrera 3.2 (future Keen Project) | 2016 Cayenne Diesel

Old 01-08-2019, 08:41 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,004 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by onelove
As much as I love my GT3, if I were in your situation I'd probably be looking for a 996/997TT, I had previously owned one, build another for the track before finding my GT3 (which I daily drove for a few years). The only times I miss the Turbo are commuting / long highway stretches were the extra torque for making passes is nice. If you're more handling / track focused and have nice twisty driving roads nearby then the NA sound and handling of a GT3 is worth it.
Beside that, the GT3 is much more raw than the Turbo. When it rains, the inside of the GT3 sounds like you are sitting inside a metal shed. There's much less sound absorption material in the GT3. You feel more and hear more.

Also, the suspension is less compliant. The nose sits lower and you will find the front spoiler scrapes easily on some driveways and cross roads with a steeper break angle.

Lastly, the clutch pedal on the GT3 is stiffer than a stock Turbo. Prolonged start and stop traffic jams are not enjoyable. That problem exists for all manual cars, but the stiffness of the GT3 pedal can wear on your foot after a spell.

If possible, drive both and see what suits your fancy.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:30 AM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 150 Posts

When it rains, the inside of the GT3 sounds like you are sitting inside a metal shed.
You drive your GT3 in the rain??! Blasphemy!

Quick Reply: What do we think of this one?