Sponsored by:

Opinions needed on this GT3

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 12:20 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 349 Posts
Talking PPI Critical

Do that thorough PPI. First thing, have a sample of the oil sent to Blackstone Laboratories for analysis. The test cost about $50, and it can be turned around in about 3 business days. In addition, if I were buying this car, I'd feel compelled to:
  1. Leak down, want under 7%, 5% or less would be ideal,
  2. Compression (Don't know the GT3 specs, but consistent across the board, I'd think 185 Lbs. or better)
  3. If you were on the original DME, download a DME Report of your PWIS, checking for over Range I and Range II revs, and check the actual operation hours on the car. The operation hours should have some correlation to the mileage.
  4. Have a body shop check it for tub damage, put it up on their rack,
  5. If the car is represented to have original paint, run a Paint Meter over the body panels looking for re-paint. Factory Porsche paint gives a reading of about 6 mils. ".....the primary purpose of ultrasonic testing is to non-destructively measure the TOTAL thickness of the paint system, typically in the range of 3 to 5 mils (75 –125 μm)." Anything greater than about 6 indicates that panel has been re-painted.
  6. Get a CarFax.
  7. Get a PPI to include all of the above as well as an inspection of the under carriage for damage,
Old 11-18-2018, 12:09 PM
Porsch
Banned

Received 252 Likes on 149 Posts

OP, that's a beauty!
Old 11-18-2018, 12:44 PM
joeycannoli
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Do that thorough PPI. First thing, have a sample of the oil sent to Blackstone Laboratories for analysis. The test cost about $50, and it can be turned around in about 3 business days. In addition, if I were buying this car, I'd feel compelled to:
  1. Leak down, want under 7%, 5% or less would be ideal,
  2. Compression (Don't know the GT3 specs, but consistent across the board, I'd think 185 Lbs. or better)
  3. If you were on the original DME, download a DME Report of your PWIS, checking for over Range I and Range II revs, and check the actual operation hours on the car. The operation hours should have some correlation to the mileage.
  4. Have a body shop check it for tub damage, put it up on their rack,
  5. If the car is represented to have original paint, run a Paint Meter over the body panels looking for re-paint. Factory Porsche paint gives a reading of about 6 mils. ".....the primary purpose of ultrasonic testing is to non-destructively measure the TOTAL thickness of the paint system, typically in the range of 3 to 5 mils (75 –125 μm)." Anything greater than about 6 indicates that panel has been re-painted.
  6. Get a CarFax.
  7. Get a PPI to include all of the above as well as an inspection of the under carriage for damage,
Thanks for the helpful info, Martin. I did some more digging around with the VIN and found an old eBay ad from the seller before it went to a wholesaler. He indicated a leak-down test was done and the following was the result:

1=9%
2=8%
3=9%
4=8%
5=10%
6=7%

The percentages are a little higher than what you have indicated. His whole write-up can be found here - GT3 eBay ad

Knowing the leak-down numbers before making any moves gives me a little bit more information to go off. I will share that I can most likely get this car around $57K-$58K. At that price I know the car is a steal if the rest of the PPI goes well. However, there are several red flags I see already (DME, painted fenders, etc) that could turn this into a nightmare. Anyone else care to share their two cents?
Old 11-18-2018, 08:02 PM
Stephen Tinker
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Honestly, if you could get that car for sub $60k, its a bargain (I wish they were that cheap here in Australia).

The owner has had the car for 10 years which says something, and if you add up all the extras that come with the purchase (PCCB rotors, carbon seats, Techart and Manthey competition parts etc) that's a larger wad of money if you had to buy all the bits separately.

The leakdown results are all within 10% and depending if the test was done with a hot engine (which is rather more questionable as it takes probably up to an hour after shutting down the engine), I wouldn't lose any sleep over the 8-9% figures. These are very robust engines, and he mentions no type 2 overrevs which is good....

Depending on the PPI and your risk profile, I believe on the surface that this GT3 is more a good buy versus a questionable buy, but in the end its your money not ours !
Old 11-19-2018, 08:29 PM
joeycannoli
Racer

Originally Posted by Stephen Tinker
Honestly, if you could get that car for sub $60k, its a bargain (I wish they were that cheap here in Australia).

The owner has had the car for 10 years which says something, and if you add up all the extras that come with the purchase (PCCB rotors, carbon seats, Techart and Manthey competition parts etc) that's a larger wad of money if you had to buy all the bits separately.

The leakdown results are all within 10% and depending if the test was done with a hot engine (which is rather more questionable as it takes probably up to an hour after shutting down the engine), I wouldn't lose any sleep over the 8-9% figures. These are very robust engines, and he mentions no type 2 overrevs which is good....

Depending on the PPI and your risk profile, I believe on the surface that this GT3 is more a good buy versus a questionable buy, but in the end its your money not ours !
Thanks for the feedback! Anyone else have some input?
Old 11-20-2018, 09:10 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

You didn't keep the last one very long. If your intent is to enjoy for a short period of time this might not be the car for you as any future buyer is going to see the same red flags that you are and it might be hard to move down the line

If you're looking to enjoy for the long haul this is a way to get in pretty cheap and get a car with some great equipment on it this could be a great way to do it.

The ebay seller says all the stuff is factory but then references TechArt which is aftermarket, maybe just confusing TechArt with oem Tequipment stuff as the roll bar def looks like Tequipment. If the wing is OEM that's a huge plus and it's worth $$$. If those seats are OEM carbon they are EXTREMELY rare....extremely. Highly doubt the exhaust is actually titanium, don't believe Manthey made a titanium exhaust for our cars but Manthey stuff is great none the less.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:38 AM
joeycannoli
Racer

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
You didn't keep the last one very long. If your intent is to enjoy for a short period of time this might not be the car for you as any future buyer is going to see the same red flags that you are and it might be hard to move down the line

If you're looking to enjoy for the long haul this is a way to get in pretty cheap and get a car with some great equipment on it this could be a great way to do it.

The ebay seller says all the stuff is factory but then references TechArt which is aftermarket, maybe just confusing TechArt with oem Tequipment stuff as the roll bar def looks like Tequipment. If the wing is OEM that's a huge plus and it's worth $$$. If those seats are OEM carbon they are EXTREMELY rare....extremely. Highly doubt the exhaust is actually titanium, don't believe Manthey made a titanium exhaust for our cars but Manthey stuff is great none the less.
That is the question I keep going back and forth with. It would be my intent to keep the car much longer than the last one, but anything can happen in life.

If the PPI and compression test passes with flying colors the only thing I hesitate with is the potential sale down the road with the red flags that are holding me up at the moment. The DME is the biggest one for me. Not exactly sure when it was changed and not having prior history on the computer is a little worrisome. I also saw on the carfax today that the engine was out about 11 years ago at a Porsche dealer in CA. Looks to be cooling related.

I shouldn't have to convince myself it could be a good deal with some of these red flags showing up. Then again, i am sure that is why its priced the way it is. Its really the price of the car and the aftermarket goodies that is keeping me interested.

Last edited by joeycannoli; 11-20-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:04 PM
joeycannoli
Racer

I ended up passing on this car. Too many red flags for me to be comfortable with. Oh well, hopefully I can get back into one of these soon.

Quick Reply: Opinions needed on this GT3