Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

doe's your diff make noise in tight turns, normal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 11:43 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's the same sound I was hearing then you probably have a loose rear coilover. Noticed any weird handling characteristics at the rear...? I would definitely have the dealer perform surgery.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:51 PM
TNGT3
Instructor

Originally posted by MetalSolid
If it's the same sound I was hearing then you probably have a loose rear coilover. Noticed any weird handling characteristics at the rear...? I would definitely have the dealer perform surgery.
No weird handling characteristics which is why I haven't taken it back to the dealer. I just hate to let them take it apart.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:29 AM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,192 Likes on 638 Posts

Yes exactly 1900-2200 I had 3 techs and me try to find it with the car in the air @the dealer and cant find it . It sounds like other people have it to. I think its harmonics maybe lots of little things vibrating at the same time. The GT3 motor does not have a harmonic balencer what may have something to do with it. The tech even called the porsche tech line and they said no one had complained and they didn't have a clue. Big surprise !!!
Old 01-28-2004, 03:12 AM
TNGT3
Instructor

To be very specific on the rattle; mine sounds like it is coming from the area behind the right rear speaker. After having no luck at the dealership, I removed the speaker and a fellow PCA member and I took turns trying to locate the noise. Still did not find it! However, there is a metal pipe that runs parallel to the ground in the speaker well. When you hold it while driving (especially over rough surfaces) at around 2,000 rpm...you can feel the vibration through this pipe. What this means I have no idea.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:46 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by 4carl
The GT3 motor does not have a harmonic balencer what may have something to do with it.
I think Porsche only used harmonic balancers on the 4 cyl. engines from the 944 series. AFIK, they have never been used on a flat 6 engine... no need for one as they are naturaly balanced as opposed to V6 and inline 4 engines
Old 01-28-2004, 11:33 AM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,192 Likes on 638 Posts

another weird thing is it only doe's it when the engine is @ operating temp in the morning when its cold it's not there. Leads me to think its somehting that expands with heat then makes contact hence the noise. Still sounds like sheet metal vibrating.

Quick Reply: doe's your diff make noise in tight turns, normal?