Sponsored by:

exhaust noise is it normal

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 06:07 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,180 Likes on 631 Posts
Default exhaust noise is it normal

I notice after the car is warmed up and I blip the gas I here what sounds like a heat shield rattle @ 2k doesn't seem to do it when its cold. Is this normal? Any feed back will help, I know each car has it's things. It may just how the exhaust sounds? thanks cark
Old 01-26-2004, 06:50 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine does that too, and makes several other strange creaking, groaning and grinding noises, all of them at very slow, walking/parking speeds, but once underway it seems fine.

I'm having my 1,000 mile change everything service this week, and plan on discussing all these odd sounds with the service dept, so I'll let you know what I discover.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:00 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

As a data point neither mine or my wife's GT3 has a sound like a baffle or heat shield loose - not yet anyway. They make plenty of other noises but not that one. What I do notice is at startup from cold the car has a lovely snarly rasp to the exhaust which goes away as the car warms.

Best,
Old 01-27-2004, 12:31 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I have what sounds like a loose heat shield, but only on cold starts. After about a minute at idle the sound goes away and the engine smooths out. No rattles after that... not including the interior.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:51 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine makes that noise too but only between 2000 and 2100 rpm when cold. Someone on the board pointed it out last year and I verified my car has the noise but now I don't even notice it any more.

Karl
Old 01-27-2004, 05:08 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I get a rattling noise from cold startup after car has not been run for a while and I understand that it is from the hydraulic lifters before the oil gets pumped around the system. Mine goes away after a few seconds. It does sound like something is loose. I think this was discussed in a post at length last year if my memory serves me right. Bottom line, nothing to worry about...I have never heard it once the engine is warmed up however...

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=rattle

Here's a link to a forum search for "rattle" that shows the posts in this forum related to various noises..

https://rennlist.com/forums/search.p...der=descending
Old 01-28-2004, 05:37 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok there have been a barrage of posts about GT3 noises.

There are basically 3 noises that seem to be intrinsic with the GT3 and they are as follows:

1. "Rattling" noise from driver side engine compartment between 2000 and 2200rpm. Noticed this sound the day I picked up my car. I have 7000km on mine now. I don't hear it as much anymore. Dealer checked it. Not sure what it was, maybe something in the throttle valve or butterfly valve that causes it.

2. LSD In tight turns, reversing and going forward you can hear the LSD. Its normal.

3. When my car sits for lets say a week or more, in temps at or below 35 deg F, I can hear a boinging sound, almost like a spring unloading.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:50 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Don't forget #4...

4. Start up rattle when the car has not been run for a while. Due to hydralic lifters losing pressure due to inactivity.

Quick Reply: exhaust noise is it normal