Sponsored by:

Fuel pump problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 08:01 AM
LIS
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Fuel pump problems

Has anyone else had issues with replacement fuel pumps? I'm on my 3rd one this year, and they've all gotten noisy with a few minutes or at most hours of running (one was actually DOA, and never got installed). The replacements have all been factory Porsche pumps, latest part #.

I'd appreciate any suggestions- I just want it fixed!

Thanks,
Larry
Old 10-12-2018, 04:37 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 112 Posts

No problem with my replacement. I've had it for 3-4 years now.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:42 PM
sp0da
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I replaced mine less than a year ago (~5k miles) with the updated model (no rubber lines) and haven't had any issues.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:29 AM
LIS
Instructor

Couple more questions-
- Any thoughts on what might kill a fuel pump quickly? The tank is clean (we drained it to make sure).

- Do any of you have a bad pump you'd be willing to part with (my old one was recycled...)? There's a kit out there that allows you to use a walbro pump in the stock pump housing.

Thanks for the help!
-Larry
Old 10-13-2018, 11:03 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,128 Posts

If any of you guys need a new OEM replacement pump, I have one available. These are only show in stock in Germany right now. I purchased it late last year as I needed the base of the pump basket that the pump sits in and is not sold separately. The pump is brand new unused. You will simply need to clip this pump assembly into your existing basket prior to reinstallation into the tank. This is the new style pump without the failure rubber prone hose. $350 plus $20 shipping an insurance CONUS. Buyer responsible for paypal fees.

Old 10-14-2018, 03:41 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LIS
Couple more questions-
- Any thoughts on what might kill a fuel pump quickly? The tank is clean (we drained it to make sure).

- Do any of you have a bad pump you'd be willing to part with (my old one was recycled...)? There's a kit out there that allows you to use a walbro pump in the stock pump housing.

Thanks for the help!
-Larry
Here is the Walbro 450 pump set up. All is stock 996GT2/3 hardware except the pump lid which houses the Walbro 450 pump. You could actually clip in two of these pumps for the crazy 1000+hp applications. The fuel tank lid is modified by drilling out the stock fuel supply nipple and installing a -6AN bulkhead fitting which connects to a -6 line that goes all the to the fuel rail. Using this on a GT3 would be severe overkill as the single 450 pump flows enough to support 800+ hp. This is ideal for a high power GT2 application. Walbro does make lower output pumps which could be used in a similar fashion on a GT3. Note the single jet pump that clips to the back of the basket.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:09 AM
LIS
Instructor

Thanks for the pics and feedback! I was thinking about something like this, though I'm not sure if this particular kit would work on the GT3:
http://www.radiumauto.com/Fuel-Pump-...rbo-P1040.aspx
Old 10-14-2018, 11:58 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LIS
Thanks for the pics and feedback! I was thinking about something like this, though I'm not sure if this particular kit would work on the GT3:
http://www.radiumauto.com/Fuel-Pump-...rbo-P1040.aspx
That would definitely work. It’s basically just an adapter sleeve that slips over the smaller Walbro pump and allows you to clip it into the stock fuel basket lid. That’s very slick.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump problems