Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What I did with my winter vacation or how I learned to love the Metzger engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 11:10 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 934 Likes on 623 Posts

Wow great photos, love the progress, keep 'em coming.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:55 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 195 Posts

Amazing journal of work done... sorry you have to go through all this for legacy reasons, but completely agree with the "do it right or do it twice" approach. Would've done the whole village myself.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:08 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 102 Posts

A word about the Block and assembling the block

Turns out assembling the GT3 block is pretty much the same as the run-of-the-mill air cooled motor except a 'little bit' more difficult. Important to note here that the cleaner you can keep things the better - true for any motor you work on!

When you start assembling things, it's really good to have taken notes and pictures BEFORE you started disassembling things in the 1st place. Case in point the block. Gotta remember where all those different studs went AND the insertion height.

Lots of different length studs there!

'Look ma - no head bolts'. Time to do those. The insertion height for those happened to be 150mm in my case. I built a small angle al piece to make this go fast!

In addition to not being able to be to clean, you can't be to organized! Note the green sealing rings at the top of the bolts, and the ones on the paper towel - really important as you will see in the next picture

Note the somewhat assembled case half here - on the 4 bolts in the center, you can see the above-mentioned green sealing rings

After some fiddling you end up with this. Getting the case halves should really be a 2 person job. The con rods want to be standing proud, the case halves really need to line up - lots of moving parts!

AND you need to have used the Porsche secret sauce - very little actually!
Old 10-16-2018, 03:22 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

what head studs are you using? a tip for you would be to use a sharpie marker cap. cut the pocket clip off and use it to cover the threads of the studs as you roll the orings over the threads. they are sharp enough to cut the orings and cause leaks after assembly
Old 10-16-2018, 03:44 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks 32krazy,

I used the OEM head studs - actually didn't replace them - no real need to. There is also a Porsche special tool that fits over the stud that is tapered / conical for doing this, not as cheap as a Sharpie, but works well. I didn't get pictures of it in use...

Actually, what I used was: https://www.stomskiracing.com/produc...er-with-sleeve

BTW Steve Stomski has good tools, reasonable prices, and in some cases does a better job than the factory!

Ray

Last edited by rbahr; 10-16-2018 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:00 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hi All,

Like many others, I have been following Tom's build thread 'Shaping up a new-to-me 07 GT3(that turned into a build thread)' over on the 997 side of the world. Recent discussions have been around camshafts. I had access to some good tools so one thing I did when building this motor was to put the intake and exhaust cams on the Cam Analyzer software and stands from http://performancetrends.com/cam_test_stand.htm (which a buddy happened to have).

To make this work I needed to build a holder for a valve follower since the complex curve on the surface has a pretty dramatic effect when driven by the camshaft.

Here is what I found:

intake advanced

intake_exhaust_acc

intake retarded

intake_exhaust

intake_exhaust_intake advanced

intake_exhaust_velocity

Cam_intake_advanced

Can_intake_retarded

Cam_lift

Cam Behavior
Old 05-19-2020, 03:44 PM
clsund1
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, amazing stuff. Where did you acquire the knowledge to do something like this? I love working with my hands, but there's so much to learn.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:38 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I am an engineer that doesn't know any better, who also loves tools :-)

The 'doesn't know any better' is just me saying that I am not scared off by much...

I have the manuals, been working on motors for a very long time, and have the manuals! I also had access to one of the best mechanics I have ever met!

Ray
The following 2 users liked this post by rbahr:
brontosaurus (01-08-2023), Robocop305 (02-04-2022)

Quick Reply: What I did with my winter vacation or how I learned to love the Metzger engine