Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HEART ATTACK! GT3 996 OIL PRESSURE

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 01:21 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Subscribed. I don't have much to add to the good suggestions made by others, but I'm interested in what is found. If you hadn't just had the oil changed, the oil pressure sending unit would be a prime suspect. But it's odd and disconcerting that the sending unit would choose to fail simultaneously with the oil change. I endorse first pulling the filter out and apart and examining it very carefully. You don't need to drain the oil to do this. It will allow you to examine the filter and cavity system, and you can pull apart the paper filter element to see if there are any metallic particles that would indicate deterioration has already taken place. If not, you can breathe a sigh of relief. I think. And you can continue the diagnosis. But I would first want to get my arms around the worst case possibility, to make sure that no damage has already occurred. Then connect a mechanical pressure gauge and verify whether your electric gauge is making sense -- which should be obvious in just a few seconds of running. In fact, you can get a valid signal just by turning the engine over on the starter motor (pull the fuel pump fuse so it doesn't fire). However, I'm not sure where you can best tap into the system to externally monitor pressure. If you find a true oil pressure deficiency, then the engine should not be run at all until you've done whatever disassembly is necessary to get to the bottom of it. Very interesting problem; I hope (and suspect) it's something minor. Please report in once you know.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:41 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 209 Posts

"tired engine" BWHAHahahahahahhahahahaha

I wouldn't let that guy check the pressure in my tires.

I hope the suggestion of simply replacing oil and filter does the trick.
The following users liked this post:
Doug DeArmond (04-12-2022)
Old 07-20-2018, 12:45 AM
JB GT3 996
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks again to every one for your incredible help. Car is being towed to the workshop on Monday and I will certainly update everyone from there.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:02 AM
JB GT3 996
Instructor

I've tried to do a summary of all of the insightful comments and will go through each of these points with the workshop next week, thanks again.

check the oil filter for correct fitment (including the small O ring @ the bottom of the plastic spike)
Check for any foreign objects down the well post removing filter
connect a mechanical oil pressure gauge to double check the pressure.
Check if removed the oil pressure bypass fitting by mistake and did not re-install correctly
Oil filter original Mann HU 719/5 x or equal quality.

SENSOR:
Could the oil pressure sensor be the problem?
Old 07-20-2018, 01:10 AM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,463 Likes on 964 Posts

Find a new shop!

ie get a second opinion.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:24 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 570 Likes on 351 Posts

fact that issue occurred directly after oil change means the areas touched should be reviewed first, oil filter area is most likely. Oil pressure senders have been widely known to have issues with the wiring connectors at the sensor failing off/poor connection as well...sensors have also been semi common item.
Manual gauge check is smart move if above doesn't have an obvious issue, Mann or Mahle OX128/1D filter both excellent, shop mistaking pressure spring port another great suggestion.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:48 AM
JB GT3 996
Instructor

Great news! Diagnosis has been made of a faulty pressure sender unit, the unit itself, not the electrical connections.
Workshop admitted they missed it

manual pressure gauge fitted, excellent pressure, no problems with filter either.

thanks again to everyone for the great support
will be jumping into a race track now again, not jumping off a cliff!

Old 07-23-2018, 07:02 AM
Stephen Tinker
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

That's a good outcome BUT...
Personally, looking @ the excuses the shop made re "tired engine, oil thickening up & too many track days" (meaning its not really their fault) before they investigated further & actually tested the oil pressure with a mechanical gage, I would not use them again.....
Old 07-23-2018, 10:41 AM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Great news!

Now its time to evaluate who looks at your car moving forward.

Cheers!
The following 2 users liked this post by Gadsby:
black04 (04-13-2022), Doug DeArmond (04-12-2022)
Old 07-23-2018, 06:32 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Tinker
That's a good outcome BUT...
Personally, looking @ the excuses the shop made re "tired engine, oil thickening up & too many track days" (meaning its not really their fault) before they investigated further & actually tested the oil pressure with a mechanical gage, I would not use them again.....
I completely agree with this statement. You dodged a bullet, but I wouldn't want to risk letting that shop hold the gun again. If an oil change caused all this heartache, imagine what might happen when you need some *real* work done, and you get a nonsensical diagnosis. I'm glad to hear it's okay, thank you for sharing the outcome. Now to find a better shop...
Old 07-23-2018, 07:41 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob S
I completely agree with this statement. You dodged a bullet, but I wouldn't want to risk letting that shop hold the gun again. If an oil change caused all this heartache, imagine what might happen when you need some *real* work done, and you get a nonsensical diagnosis. I'm glad to hear it's okay, thank you for sharing the outcome. Now to find a better shop...
I must also agree here. Bet if the coolant pipes let go........"oh the engine is just thirsty"
Old 07-25-2018, 01:28 AM
JB GT3 996
Instructor

Thanks again to all, can't tell you how much of a relief it is! My engine has always run brilliantly after a pretty tough life. starts first time even after leaving in the garage for say two months.
That engine is one of the most amazing Porsche items ever made 996 & 997 GT3 the only way to go.

ps I'm struggling to find the part number for the oil pressure sender on PET I'm not a mechanical guru either. Have attached some screenshots.
any wisdom re the part number? Thank you
Old 07-25-2018, 01:31 AM
JB GT3 996
Instructor

Old 07-25-2018, 05:59 AM
Stephen Tinker
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm pretty sure its item #38 on the first PET illustration. Porsche part #996 606 203 03 (Oldruckschalter).
Its not difficult to change - if you look @ the engine, its located on the r/h/side under the inlet manifold. Just pull off the 2 x electrical connections and the unscrew the sender unit.
Old 04-10-2022, 10:01 AM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi all. Resurrecting this old thread as I very intermittently exp the failure notification and would like to replace the oil pressure sender (original to the car).

Can anyone confirm the info in Posts 28 on; ie, the part number provided and the location of the unit?
Does anyone have a pic of the location of the unit (to protect me from doing stupid things to my car lol)?
Any been there/don't do that issues ;-)?

TIA!

Edit - shld have chked here 1st - there is a link over to the 996 forum in the "must read threads" above [ https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ement-diy.html ] w pics etc.

Let me know if any of you know of updated or differing part numbers or gen exp (to be avoided or to be practiced :-) TIA!

Last edited by cello; 04-10-2022 at 10:23 AM.

Quick Reply: HEART ATTACK! GT3 996 OIL PRESSURE