Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What pevebts oil from filling the crankcase?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 01:34 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts
Default What pevebts oil from filling the crankcase?

Been looking for a check valve and don't see any in the region of the oil tank and the block?

Thanks

Ray
Old 07-05-2018, 02:34 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

does this help?
at least it may help the discussion

Old 07-05-2018, 10:46 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

It seems like the GT3 does not get a check valve - although there is place where one could go. The is one on the TT. I thought of retrofitting it, but was worried that the oil pump for the TT was different than the GT3 (it is) and I might have a problem.

Ray
Old 07-06-2018, 03:48 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rbahr
It seems like the GT3 does not get a check valve - although there is place where one could go. The is one on the TT. I thought of retrofitting it, but was worried that the oil pump for the TT was different than the GT3 (it is) and I might have a problem.

Ray
only difference in the pumps is the gt2/3 pump has dual feed ports and the tt has a single feed port
Old 07-08-2018, 03:34 AM
Stephen Tinker
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Looking at the flow diagram from cgfen, it looks like the pressure pump / scavenge pump stops the draining into the crankcase.

Here is a point of interest regarding the quantity of oil that "may" be in the crankcase draining back from the oil tank.

Yesterday I changed the oil in my car. After reading Ray's question of a non drain valve, I purposely did not run the engine up to temp before draining the oil - I drained it at ambient temperature after the car had sat for over a week since the last time I started it. I drained the crankcase first and I would hazard a guess that about 5-6 litres of oil came out. When I drained the oil tank, only about 2-3 litres came out, which is opposite to what should happen - more oil should come out of the tank than the crankcase after the engine has been run to get the oil warm.

So it looks like over time, the oil migrates down to the lowest point (crankcase) through the oil pump gears. I know I had the correct quantity of oil in the engine and the car has only 27,000km (17,000 miles) on the odo, so I'm hoping that this is a normal occurrence after the engine has not been run for a week or more. I really don't want to have terminal oil pump gear mesh wear.
Anyone care to comment …..
Old 07-08-2018, 10:43 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hi All,

Here is what I found out:

The TT has such a valve, and in 2003 the cup car added it. I was considering adding it while building up the motor. The reason I didn't was because the way it works is to add a check valve that is spring based where the oil from the tank enters the motor, and I saw that the oil pumps from the TT and cup were different and I was concerned that the GT3 oil pump would not draw enough vacuum fast enough to avoid a problem. It seems that the cup car pump was brought mainstream and the TT pump is different with the number of inlets.

Ray
Old 07-08-2018, 06:54 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rbahr
Hi All,

Here is what I found out:

The TT has such a valve, and in 2003 the cup car added it. I was considering adding it while building up the motor. The reason I didn't was because the way it works is to add a check valve that is spring based where the oil from the tank enters the motor, and I saw that the oil pumps from the TT and cup were different and I was concerned that the GT3 oil pump would not draw enough vacuum fast enough to avoid a problem. It seems that the cup car pump was brought mainstream and the TT pump is different with the number of inlets.

Ray
the tt oil pump has a single inlet. its the gt2/3 oil pump that has dual inlets to help eliminate cavitation in hard cornering. i have had both in my tt.

Quick Reply: What pevebts oil from filling the crankcase?