Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

18" R Compounds 6 GT3 (Supplemental)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 02:42 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default 18" R Compounds 6 GT3 (Supplemental)

I couldn't find the source for page one (1) of the scan, 18" R Compounds for 6GT3...but appreciated the information. It must have been done some time ago as some some the tire brands listed are no longer are available such as the Hoosier R6 tires and the Kumho Ecsta 710 (Thank God, nearly bent my 993 car with three (3) 360s at Cali Speedway when a relatively new right rear failed). In addition some of the sizes listed are NLA such as the 235/40/18 for the Nitto NT-01, and some are missing such as the 305/30/18 Nitto NT-01 tires.

More importantly, the sheet lacks the more recent arrivals such as: Hoosier R7, P Zero Corsa, Pilot Sport Cup 2 and P Zero Trofeo R. Therefore, I have included descriptions of these newer tires on Page 2. I didn't look deeply for information on the Yokohama ADVAN A048...because, according to Tire Rack, they do have a 245/40/18 tire....but the biggest rear is a 285/30/18...at least at Tire Rack. 285 is too skinny for me.

For the street/track driver, the P Zero Trofeo tires look interesting, DOT UTQC (Hardness Rating) of 60, Hoosiers at 40. Not these UTQC ratings are provided by the manufacturer. For pure track usage, the Hoosier R7 is hard to beat, BUT, they historically seriously fall off after 10 heat cycles. At $1,300 + a set., that's $130 a session. After. 10 heat cycles, many relegate these tires to practice only. But I have always wondered, who wants to practice on crappy tires? Not me.

The Nitto NT-01s are cheap and on my 993, lasted nearly 20 heat cycles before I corded one of the set, with no degradation along the way...a little slippery the first two (2) sessions, but I have NOT run them on my 6GT3, have only run Hoosier R7 tires, and Michelin Pilots on the street, 5 year old tires, lots of tread but they need replacement. I also have a problem with the height of the Nitto 305, and the width of the 315...that's a tight squeeze on my car, and, Nittos are notoriously noisy on the street.

I'll probably try out a set of P Zero Trofeo tires. If I can get 11 heat cycles out of them, they are break even with the Hosier R7, if I can get 12 or better, the cost per heat cycle on the P Zero Trofeo will be better.

Enclosed is the supplemental data I gathered, March 2018....and let's not forget the Hankook Z 221, to be added to the grid.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
R Compound Tires for 6GT3.pdf (28.5 KB, 95 views)
File Type: pdf

Last edited by Martin S.; 03-18-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:07 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

check tire rack- they have some new choices, I stay with Cup 2's bit now new listing for R tires
Old 03-20-2018, 05:22 PM
CME
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 71 Posts

I tried the Nitto's a few years back and hated them. Never thought tire noise in a 996 GT3 would be problematic, but they were harsh.

Speed wise the Trofeo's are probably faster than the MPSC2's, but last half or less miles. The MPSC2's are the tire of choice in my opinion.

Unless you are trailering to/from then go Hoosier.

Chet
Old 03-20-2018, 05:39 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CME
I tried the Nitto's a few years back and hated them. Never thought tire noise in a 996 GT3 would be problematic, but they were harsh.

Speed wise the Trofeo's are probably faster than the MPSC2's, but last half or less miles. The MPSC2's are the tire of choice in my opinion.

Unless you are trailering to/from then go Hoosier.

Chet
The Trafeo tires are UTQC rated at 60, Hoosiers at 40 and MPSC at 180. So it follows that the Hoosiers would be the quickest, but most will not drive them on the street. The Trafeo tires have a great review by Randy Pobst on the Tire Rack website. The Hankook Ventus Z 221, UTQC of 80 are interesting, and affordable. Let's hope that don't disappear off the market as the Z 214s seem to do every year. The last set of Z 214 I tried on my 993, corded way too soon...and it wasn't the alignment. I confirmed this running another brand in succeeding sessions with no abnormal wear.

I don't see a wall of folks posting up how the Trofeo tires are as good as/better than Hoosiers...leads me to believe that the Hoosiers are the way to go.

Last edited by Martin S.; 03-20-2018 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:53 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 332 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
The Trafeo tires are UTQC rated at 60, Hoosiers at 40 and MPSC at 180. So it follows that the Hoosiers would be the quickest, but most will not drive them on the street. The Trafeo tires have a great review by Randy Pobst on the Tire Rack website. The Hankook Ventus Z 221, UTQC of 80 are interesting, and affordable. Let's hope that don't disappear off the market as the Z 2314s seem to do every year. The last set of Z 214 I tried on my 993, corded way too soon...and it wasn't the alignment. I confirmed this running another brand in succeeding sessions with no abnormal wear.
Here in Aus we have yokohama A050 which is widely regarded as the best true r-compound tyre on the planet. Z221 is often compared to the A050 but is slightly slower (around 1 sec per lap). I have tried both A050 and NT01 and A050 is MILES better than NT01. On this basis I would say the Z221 sits somewhere in between the two. I think you would like it, but it will be a fairly noisy tyre on the road (if that is of concern to you).
Old 03-20-2018, 09:58 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spiller
Here in Aus we have yokohama A050 which is widely regarded as the best true r-compound tyre on the planet. Z221 is often compared to the A050 but is slightly slower (around 1 sec per lap). I have tried both A050 and NT01 and A050 is MILES better than NT01. On this basis I would say the Z221 sits somewhere in between the two. I think you would like it, but it will be a fairly noisy tyre on the road (if that is of concern to you).
Visited Adelaide, Australia last year, did the "mandatory" Grange testing ...the just bottled wine was in $800 AU, the aged....got to be a fortune. We had the best time you can have on a 2 week holiday; in spite of the 16 hour trip from LA, we're coming back one of these days. And thanks for the heads up on your tire experience. Very helpful.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:08 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used Trofeo R’s for several years on my 6gt3 and they were great, not as fast as the Hoosiers, a few seconds slower, but I could drive the Trofeo’s to the track and use them in the wet. Not heavy rain though.
watch tire pressure, they are best around 31-32 psig HOT, start low and let the temp/press build.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:39 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Will the 245 Hoosier clear the front on a 6GT3? The section width appears to be quite wide.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:59 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 332 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Visited Adelaide, Australia last year, did the "mandatory" Grange testing ...the just bottled wine was in $800 AU, the aged....got to be a fortune. We had the best time you can have on a 2 week holiday; in spite of the 16 hour trip from LA, we're coming back one of these days. And thanks for the heads up on your tire experience. Very helpful.
Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself here in Adelaide, not every day you hear of a rennlister coming here! Next time you come back I’d be happy to show you around the place (and some equally good winieries without the $800 bottles) we have some of the best driving roads in the country too!
Old 03-21-2018, 10:22 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spiller

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself here in Adelaide, not every day you hear of a rennlister coming here! Next time you come back I’d be happy to show you around the place (and some equally good winieries without the $800 bottles) we have some of the best driving roads in the country too!
PM's response....

Quick Reply: 18" R Compounds 6 GT3 (Supplemental)