Tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 05:27 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watt,

Good point, after the pothole dealer checked alignment and told me all was good.

I pretty sure most of the wear occured after adjusting the swaybars, maybe this changed the alignment.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:28 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by Bentley
Thank you for submitting your photograph to this forum.
It is very easy for someone to 'shoot from the hip' in pronouncing a problem or solution without technical data. The only problem with that approach is the 'expert' giving the pronouncement is usually wrong or at best partially correct.
As you had initially stated, you have an unusual wear situation. By EXAMINING THE PHOTOGRAPH the following is evidenced:
1. There has been uneven pressure maintained in the tires for considerable lengths of time.
2. For a SHORT time, when you had too much pressure in the tire, your lug nuts were NOT properly tightened.
3. The transient pressure problem suggests a tire stem examination and possible replacement.
4. An alignment is mandated prior to tire replacement.
5. The tire[s] should be replaced forthwith.
Best of luck.
One last piece of crucial evidence taken from the photo...

6. Your car is dirty.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:39 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

6. of course his car is dirty he f.g drives it!!!!!
thank the Lord. still very subtle Sloth, you're alert today

7. the dirt is assymetrical as Cuban ash only comes out the driver's window
Old 12-22-2003, 06:06 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bentley - that's quite an analysis - is this by any chance your homepage? http://www.psychicpowernetwork.net/
Old 12-22-2003, 06:35 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Sway bars aren't going to affect the alignment.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:31 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

No more driving the GT3 for a while - time to worship - unless... I get Yokohama AVS Sports, anyone recommend these for the GT3?
Old 12-22-2003, 11:44 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

I know someone here locally that runs them on his GT3 and he highly recommends them - says he get's much better wear out of them and they are a lot cheaper. They aren't tested/rated for the car if that matters to you - I'd at least compare the specs closely. I've heard mixed reviews of the tire's performance - definitely not for the track but might be ok on the road.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:09 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

i ran AVS sports in the 03 One lap - they are a good tire up to a point but there are draw backs -
IMHO they are too hard but very predictable at the limit (squeal like stuck pigs). I would not run them again at the track - just me but there are a lot better tires out there - BFG KD's for instance (not sure about a GT-3 size). the michilens are good (and developed with the car)
Old 12-23-2003, 09:04 AM
Bentley
Banned

Belittlers are pathetic individuals with inferiority complexes. Fortunately, this forum would not countenance such persons one would think.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:41 AM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Bentley - I'm not sure who that was directed to. In case you misinterpreted my post as belittling I was truly impressed as I said by your analysis.

I hope that you can appreciate that the amount of detail provided by your response "almost" implies a level of knowledge that would be impossible to ascertain from a simple photograph. I say "almost" because some individuals can overcome this limitation through extensive study and research. Experienced forensic investigators are a good example of this. I assume by the depth of your analysis and the references you cite that you have this level of experience with tires.

That said, you seem very rigid in the analysis and the causes while according to Metal there is no way that some of these things occured. Are there other possible explanations in your opinion?

Of course, you could also be psychic (it's a JOKE!) /bob
Old 12-23-2003, 11:36 AM
Bentley
Banned

Dear Bob:

I have engaged in both fabrication, assembly, and/or post analysis of various systems going back to the end of the Mercury Program, through Gemini, and Apollo.
This extended, over time from submarines, land systems, aircraft, through satellites. So , as you aptly pointed out, this takes years of both research as well as hands on manufacturing experience.
What one discovers, over a period, is what appears to be of negligible value as evidence, may, to the trained observer, yield a plethora of significant data.
One would hope that on a prestigious forum such as this, which concerns a set of vehicles with few peers, and is on a world wide medium of the internet, that persons who respond would think before embarrassing themselves by denigrating others. If the belittlers new how little intellect and knowledge they were displaying they would be mute.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:30 PM
Radar
Instructor

I have engaged in both fabrication, assembly, and/or post analysis of various systems going back to the end of the Mercury Program, through Gemini, and Apollo.
This extended, over time from submarines, land systems, aircraft, through satellites. So , as you aptly pointed out, this takes years of both research as well as hands on manufacturing experience.
What one discovers, over a period, is what appears to be of negligible value as evidence, may, to the trained observer, yield a plethora of significant data.
One would hope that on a prestigious forum such as this, which concerns a set of vehicles with few peers, and is on a world wide medium of the internet, that persons who respond would think before embarrassing themselves by denigrating others. If the belittlers new how little intellect and knowledge they were displaying they would be mute.
I read and re-read your previous posts, but I could not understand exactly what points you were making. However, now I see the light with this explanation. Because you're a rocket scientist, you're an expert on Porsche tires?

Oh, ok. It all makes sense now.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:45 PM
Bentley
Banned

Wow! I am glad that you enlightened this forum that there are 'Porsche Tires'. I thought Porsche bought its tires from various manufacturers.
I am glad to know that you consider yourself a member of the last paragraph of my earlier post.
Old 12-23-2003, 03:00 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Wow! I am glad that you enlightened this forum that there are 'Porsche Tires'. I thought Porsche bought its tires from various manufacturers.
I am glad to know that you consider yourself a member of the last paragraph of my earlier post.
Besides being rude, you are also wrong. Porsche doesn't make tires, but they have some built to their exact specifications which to me, makes them tires specifically designed and built for Porsche (and thus the term ‘Porsche Tires’ seems appropriate to me). Porsche also doesn't make brakes, but Brembo builds them to their specs. I’ve always heard people refer to Big Reds as Porsche brakes.

Lighten up.

Now, for the original question: I had something similar happened to my inside rear tire. I corded it in just one DE event (actually in one day). My rear toe was set at zero (don’t ask) and I have a feeling the kinematic toe was making it toe out while I was loading the other side. Also, another suggestion would be to check the wheel for damage. Put the wheel on a tire balancer and make sure there is no wobble.

George
Old 12-23-2003, 04:32 PM
Bentley
Banned

If you want to think that by having something made to your specifications by someone else is the EXACT SAME as making it yourself, and you would have customers treat it as the same as fabricating it yourself, then that is your choice.
If your question is regarding the toe conditions in a dynamic environment, you neglected to tell this forum if the inside tire with the problem was the rear left or right tire; IT MAY BE germane INFORMATION. We will let the Porsche enthusiasts give their opinions why this is true. If they answer correctly then an explanation will be given of the dynamic processes involved in ruining your tire.

Quick Reply: Tire wear