Sponsored by:

Tire Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 01:35 PM
billatlanta
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tire Noise

When I drive my car I often hear a tire chirping or tire abrasion noise if I have my foot off the gas and the car is in gear say around a turn. I mostly hear it at low speeds, also for instance when I am approaching a stop sign (again first gear), take my foot off the gas with the car in gear slowing up. If I depress the clutch I don't hear it. It is the same noise you would expect to hear is you downshifting too early.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-13-2003, 02:55 PM
mds
Pro

I think its the limited-slip differential switching between 40% lock-up under power and 60% on the overrun.
Old 12-13-2003, 10:52 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Maybe you're just not being smooth enough with the controls. Maybe you shouldn't be coasting around a turn. Maybe you should be on the throttle. Maybe you're snapping off of the throttle, instead of smoothly releasing the pedal. Maybe you should think about getting some high-performance driving instruction. Maybe you could become a better driver. Maybe it's not the car. Maybe it's you.
Old 12-13-2003, 11:04 PM
mds
Pro

DJ, IMO you are too aggressive. I would hope you don't treat your track day students this way.
Old 12-14-2003, 12:53 AM
Dirt Track Racer
User

Originally posted by mds
DJ, IMO you are too aggressive. I would hope you don't treat your track day students this way.
What way is that? The way that shows he is the boss and might actually know something about driving high performance cars?

I agree with DJ. Who the hell lifts off the gas in first gear around a turn? Especially in a GT3?

You don't like the answer, then don't post the question.

DTR
Old 12-14-2003, 01:22 AM
mds
Pro

Originally posted by Dirt Track Racer
I have been racing for a long time, and I have lots of friends who are big time racers so I come from experience.
Is DJ one of your friends?
Old 12-14-2003, 03:15 AM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Originally posted by mds

Too aggressive?!

I said, "maybe".

I was attempting to use a bit of humor to make a point, Mike. Sorry if it didn't come across that way. And, I only get aggressive with track day students who are dangerous, and don't listen.
Old 12-14-2003, 04:14 PM
billatlanta
Racer

So, you are suggesting it is driver or user error? No I never went to a high performance driving school that will be a local DE in the next few months and the Porsche Driving Experience in the spring.

BUT, I do know how to handle a manual transmission from having driven them all my life in both to other sports cars and family sedans and also from racing motorcycles.

I will work on being smoother - perhaps it is me, I just never had a car do that. I will post and let you know later on. But spare me the attitude!
Old 12-14-2003, 10:16 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

BillA

It is probably the limited slip. You will enjoy DE a lot. Most fun you can have with your clothes on. DJ - short messages tend to come out rather terse and one needs to re-read them carefully to make sure the intended humor comes across. Finally, DTR, it would be a nice thing to treat users of this board with a modicum of respect. We *all* started out with less knowledge than those more experienced. Some of the folks who helped me did so with kindness and respect. Others imparted knowledge through arrogance and derision. I remember those dic*heads because I promised myself I would never do the same.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:54 PM
billatlanta
Racer

Bob and MDS - THANK YOU.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:12 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Bill,

It is a little about the way you drive the car though I wouldn't exactly say it is the "wrong" way to drive it.

The more lockup there is on the differential the more the tyres have to slip when they are rotating at different speeds. If you are easy on the car then you hear the sorts of noises you describe. If you are more aggressive, then the slippage comes under power, braking or cornering and this is a lot less noticeable.

Higher lockup differentials are pretty much reserved for the track where the driver is inducing some sort of slippage all of the time. Otherwise they can be un-driveable.

The GT3 is a performance car and designed to be driven aggressively. A more sedate car would have a lower lockup on the differential. Sure the GT3 can be driven easily too, but that isn't the way it was designed. Nothing wrong with doing so but then you hear and feel the things you describe.

In general, these cars often don't feel so good when driven easily (hard, darty, overly sensitive, excessive feedback). But when driven more aggressively then everything starts to come together nicely.

Stephen
Old 12-14-2003, 11:15 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bill, I may be attending one of the 3-Day Panoz racing school beginner courses learning track/driving techniques @ Road Atlanta in the Spring. I will keep the board apprised of my class dates...Maybe other GT3 owners will want to attend...Check it out...Take care...

http://www.panozracingschool.com/
Old 12-15-2003, 10:21 AM
billatlanta
Racer

Fixed Wing - thanks for the info I was hoping it was something like you described and not a problem with the car. Prior to my GT3 I had a 996 and never experienced it.

Rockitman - I'm in. Look foward to seeing a fellow NY'er as well. I relocated after living most of my life in NYC/LI to Atlanta. Wonderful place. Been down here since 89.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:47 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by billatlanta
Prior to my GT3 I had a 996 and never experienced it.
The first year of the 996 Carrera it had a LSD. This was removed in later years to make way for the PSM system. Supposedly, the LSD inteferes with the PSM (or to put it another way, PAG hasn't taught the two to live together yet). The electronics can use the rear brakes to perform the same function as an LSD and I assume that is what PAG did to the Carrera post-1999. But a real LSD is much better.

Even if your 996 was a 1999 it had much less lockup on its LSD so that you wouldn't normally have noticed it.

The GT3 really is a hairly little beast.

Stephen
Old 12-16-2003, 11:58 AM
Cluck
3rd Gear

Originally posted by DJ
Maybe you're just not being smooth enough with the controls. Maybe you shouldn't be coasting around a turn. Maybe you should be on the throttle. Maybe you're snapping off of the throttle, instead of smoothly releasing the pedal. Maybe you should think about getting some high-performance driving instruction. Maybe you could become a better driver. Maybe it's not the car. Maybe it's you.
I'm the newest kid on the block here, but I must say I really hate posts like that. Everyone was a beginner once, even you. And with comments like that how do the beginners learn? Why would they want to post questions if they get mocked?

Beyond that it just seems moronic. Everyone has to slow down and take their foot off the throttle every now and then. How else do you get into the drive way? I hear the same sounds from my new GT3 and I was wondering what that was. Now I think I know. I only hear it when slow turns into a parking lot or up the drive way or backing out into the street etc.

And if there is anyone that doesn't drive slowly every now and then when doing those things tell me how you do it. I'd like to know.

Quick Reply: Tire Noise