Tire Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 12:07 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dj, do you have a GT3?
Sounds like you don't.
Therefore it sounds like you don't know what your effing talking about.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:16 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Cluck,

The GT2 and GT3 have a high performance limited slip differential. Tight turns as you might make in a parking garage will cause it to make clunks, tire chirps and even a groan or two. Perfectly normal. It is the price you pay for a racing differential and part of the reason we pay extra for GT models. You may also hear the front springs turn in their perches, the suspensiojn uses metal to metal monoballs iinstead of the usual rubber isolated mounts. You may hear these too on a very sharp turn. So, a groan from the back, a creak from the front are perfectly normal, heck, you paid extra for those sounds. Tap your roof and enjoy the tin can bong of no sound deadening and go "YES!!" this IS a GT3.

RR - a little terse, but well said <grin>.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:21 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

bill,

my gt3 makes all the sounds Bob describes. just like yours.

and i believe neither dirty track, nor dj, and shock and sadness, nor my dear friend fixed wing have a gt3, thus having No actual experience to impart. Holy Mother of ironies, the blacks calling the kettle pot.

btw dj,

old marky radical racer/jim bob and you would be pleased with my track progress after a few lessons. looking down from his high perch as the new Williams driver, I can't wait for marky/jimmy bobby to time my new times into my driveway and post them!!! rule no 1: never lift in 1st gear into a driveway, hit your garage first

and dj, i still don't understand how come neither you nor dirt racer aren't formula 1 with mark, with your skills and knowledge?

Merry Christmas to all!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-18-2003, 12:56 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by watt
and i believe ... fixed wing ha[sn't] a gt3, thus having No actual experience to impart.
Speaking for no one but myself here ... I think it is a stretch for you to equate one to the other.

Stephen
Old 12-18-2003, 01:06 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

So Watt, I take it that you had a good time out at Bragg-Smith? He's a great teacher, and has some novel approaches to driving. Did you get any personal instruction from him, or was it just from his instructors? I've been to his track a few times, and driven with him, but don't have any personal experience of how his schools run. Over all, what did you think of it? Would you reccommend it to others?
Old 12-18-2003, 01:12 PM
Dirt Track Racer
User

Hey Watt, how do you know what car I drive?

Still waiting for all those retractions in the GT2 vs GT3 vs TT threads.

DTR
Old 12-18-2003, 01:41 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

dtr,

bluntly, you have never added an ounce of value on this site, just ragging people for its own sake. How about adding some, instead of taking away? you have a Lifeboat, right???

dj,
some comments on rupert's school on the z06 thread. i love the track as you do, thanks for the heads up, nothing for me from rupert directly in the car. but his instructors looked faster than him in the z06's when he and dave and victor took us out individually.

he plans to change out the factory z06 seats which will vastly improve the experience. i think it's excellent -- if you believe in threshold braking and momentum driving, which clearly alot of rennlisters do not.

how did you find him a when you rode with him????
Old 12-18-2003, 01:58 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Rupert was extremely smooth when I rode with him, but I have heard others that rode with him that did not think so. I don't have an explanation for that, other than maybe he was trying harder when I was with him. I don't like the seats in the Z06: too high and not supportive enough, but smaller drivers seem to fit fine in them. Fun cars to drive.
Old 12-18-2003, 03:07 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Bob Rouleau
Tap your roof and enjoy the tin can bong of no sound deadening and go "YES!!" this IS a GT3.
You mean all 996 models (even cabs) don't make that sound??

Old 12-18-2003, 06:22 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

MSolid - It's sad that only GT2's and GT3's make that wonderful "gong" sound. Imagine not being able to tell the size of the rain drops just by the sound of the "pings" on the roof. For that matter judging the depth of standing water by the loud noise coming from the wheel wells. These are safety features, all cars should have them.
Old 12-18-2003, 06:46 PM
Dirt Track Racer
User

dtr,

bluntly, you have never added an ounce of value on this site, just ragging people for its own sake. How about adding some, instead of taking away? you have a Lifeboat, right???
Thats funny Watt. Lots of people have told me that I add lots to the forums and threads I post in.

Things like calling BS when idiots like you make posts that are based on nothing but assumptions and amateur ramblings of others.

I mean somebody's got to look out for the noobies, right?

DTR
Old 12-18-2003, 06:52 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

[some other stuff snipped]

i think it's excellent -- if you believe in threshold braking and momentum driving, which clearly alot of rennlisters do not.

I don't understand what you mean by that, Watt. If not that, then what?
Old 12-18-2003, 10:10 PM
billatlanta
Racer

Hey DTR - just curious what type of dirt track racing do you do, 2 wheel or 4 wheel?
Old 12-18-2003, 10:38 PM
Dirt Track Racer
User

4 wheel. I race modifieds and sprint cars.

I know some guys that do the 2 wheel type, and they are crazy. I have seen them hit the hay bales at about a buck-twenty and it aint pretty. At least I know when I hit the wall I have a steel cage around me.

DTR

Quick Reply: Tire Noise