Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 08:18 PM
wolfgang1
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts
Default steel rotors

A question for the brain trust.

I tried looking for the answer myself but got nowhere pretty quickly

Those of you who have pccb's - who have switched to steel rotors... the rotors that you use - are they "the same" as the steel rotors which come on cars that originally had steel rotors, or are they different?

I am considering buying some gently used rotors which were used on a show car.. but they're heavy and expensive to ship and I'd hate to find out they are not the same parts...

There are no part numbers!

Thanks in advance
Old 11-13-2017, 08:25 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

rear discs, use 997 GT3 or TT.
Front can use Cayenne... 6GT3, 7 GT3, Cup, etc
Old 11-13-2017, 08:29 PM
wolfgang1
Rennlist Member

Thanks Rob...

I found this old posting:

On the front use the 350 mm cast iron rotors from the 996 GT3 Cup. In back use the 350 mm cast iron rotors from the 997 GT3 Cup. This provides superb braking (use Pagid brake pads RS 19 in front and RS 14 in back) and you do not have to change those expensive calipers.

Note that the Cup rotors for the front are identical to the 996GT3 rotors except they are far cheaper and available from many of our sponsors. The rear ones are also fairly inexpensive and come with the emergency brake - some others do not!

So if I understand you and this post above correctly....

The replacement pccb fronts are the same size as the steel rotor originally for a steel car, but the rear replacement pccb steel rotors are bigger than the stock 996gt3 rear?

Sorry - I am dense sometimes
Old 11-13-2017, 08:33 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

yes correct, 6GT3 PCCB front are same size as steel 6GT3 (350mm), rears 350mm PCCB vs 330mm steel
pad sizes are same PCCB calipers vs steel caliper... you can use PCCB pads on steel discs and they work well
Old 11-13-2017, 08:46 PM
wolfgang1
Rennlist Member

thank you 993gt! I grew up in the Toronto area and miss it a lot
Old 11-13-2017, 10:03 PM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Here are some part numbers for fronts.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:53 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default 2 Piece Rotor Option

I too am in the same dilemma, switching out PCCB for iron, and putting the PCCB discs and pads on the shelf.

For the fronts, I am going with 2 piece rotors, iron disc rings and aluminum hats. They are not cheap, but consider the GT3 iron rotors are close to $1,000 a set. The GIROs are slotted in contrast to the drilled stock rotors. There are no holes to crack and link up with other holes. GIRO may be about $1,200, BUT the disks are replaceable, the hats are reusable. There are other vendors selling 2 piece slotted rotors, of "J" rotors, all priced in about the same price range. I am most likely going with GIRO. Get in touch with Clark at Apex Performance, a Rennlist sponsor:

chamerly@apexperformance.net He'll get you a quote, no state tax and free shipping.

Yes you can put Cayenne rotors on front, they are heavy and not drilled or slotted. Craig F. tried this approach, doesn't recommend it.

For the present, I am going with stock iron 330mm rotors on the rear (accommodating the emergency brake) matched up with 2 piece rotors on the front, and probably using PAGID pads, another major investment. There may be cheaper pads, but on my 993, I experienced such great performance with Pagid Yellow fronts, Black rears. These babies STOP.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:35 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 826 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfgang1
A question for the brain trust.

I tried looking for the answer myself but got nowhere pretty quickly

Those of you who have pccb's - who have switched to steel rotors... the rotors that you use - are they "the same" as the steel rotors which come on cars that originally had steel rotors, or are they different?

I am considering buying some gently used rotors which were used on a show car.. but they're heavy and expensive to ship and I'd hate to find out they are not the same parts...

There are no part numbers!

Thanks in advance
lots of good info above, but to answer your question if stock iron rotors from the show car are the same size as stock CCB rotors from your car?

Probably yes for rear
Uncertain for front, fronts should be 350mm X 1.something "thick".
Old 11-14-2017, 07:21 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

front are 350x34, rear 350x28
Cayenne discs (for fronts) are heavy but work very well... run the ATE version like Gadsby and I if you want slotting... Gadsby, is that the Panamera rear fitment? Been thinking of trying...
Old 11-14-2017, 09:36 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 104 Posts

I too run the Cayenne 350mm front rotors. VERY inexpensive to swap out when they too, inevitably crack out - and far better service than cross-drilled OE.

Not sure it matters, but I chose Sebro slotted as they are made in Germany. The ATE as shown above are Hecho En China. I am actually currently wrapping up a trip from the Chinese mainland, and let's just say, I'll stick with German made where possible!

Old 11-15-2017, 01:47 AM
jpw2b
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm also on V8 cayenne size rotors for front (slotted)
And 997turbo size for rear (drilled).
ATE/Sebro ...whatever aftermarket works for you.
Exact size swap.
Pagid yellow in front
Pagid black in rear
SRF fluid
A bit heavy, but I'm not trying to win the HPDE and total of something like $700 for all 4 is easy to swallow if it keeps my $17k ceramic rotors in the box.
Bleed them when need to, never let me down over dozens of track days and some commuting too!
Old 11-15-2017, 09:35 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

IIRC, my first couple sets were German-made(could be wrong..), was surprised when I saw latest set's boxes say China...

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
I too run the Cayenne 350mm front rotors. VERY inexpensive to swap out when they too, inevitably crack out - and far better service than cross-drilled OE.

Not sure it matters, but I chose Sebro slotted as they are made in Germany. The ATE as shown above are Hecho En China. I am actually currently wrapping up a trip from the Chinese mainland, and let's just say, I'll stick with German made where possible!

Old 11-15-2017, 10:58 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
I too am in the same dilemma, switching out PCCB for iron, and putting the PCCB discs and pads on the shelf.

For the fronts, I am going with 2 piece rotors, iron disc rings and aluminum hats. They are not cheap, but consider the GT3 iron rotors are close to $1,000 a set. The GIROs are slotted in contrast to the drilled stock rotors. There are no holes to crack and link up with other holes. GIRO may be about $1,200, BUT the disks are replaceable, the hats are reusable. There are other vendors selling 2 piece slotted rotors, of "J" rotors, all priced in about the same price range. I am most likely going with GIRO. Get in touch with Clark at Apex Performance, a Rennlist sponsor:

chamerly@apexperformance.net He'll get you a quote, no state tax and free shipping.

Yes you can put Cayenne rotors on front, they are heavy and not drilled or slotted. Craig F. tried this approach, doesn't recommend it.

For the present, I am going with stock iron 330mm rotors on the rear (accommodating the emergency brake) matched up with 2 piece rotors on the front, and probably using PAGID pads, another major investment. There may be cheaper pads, but on my 993, I experienced such great performance with Pagid Yellow fronts, Black rears. These babies STOP.
Would be good to see a cost comparison of the Giro's with the Cayenne/997 rear disc set up. Giros would likely be much more expensive.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:25 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 604 Likes on 342 Posts

When evaluating disc replacements, you need to consider a number of items:
1. Initial purchase price
2. Long-term running cost for spare iron rings
3. Durability / miles per dollar
4. Unsprung weight advantage
5. Spares availability
6. Time/hassle to be constantly changing discs

Our AP Racing J Hook discs aren't the least expensive, but we are still very competitively priced. Our iron ring replacements are very reasonable $339-$349. Most importantly, our discs have proven time and again that they last longer than anything else on the market.

We service numerous exotic car fleets, who have 50+ cars on track every day. When they switched from our competitors discs to our AP Racing J Hooks, they found that they are getting 3 to 4 times as many track miles out of our discs! When you calculate the dollars per mile, it becomes quickly apparent that our discs are the best long-term value.

Here's what we offer for the 996 GT3 sizes:

Front 996 GT3 2-piece pair
https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...gt3iron-996gt3

Rear 996 GT 2-piece pair
https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...28-rear-996gt3

Our discs offer more vanes, they run cooler, the J Hook disperses heat more evenly. As a result, they reduce disc wear AND pad wear, transmit less heat into brake fluid, surrounding ball joints, etc. The brakes are one big chain that starts with the disc. Hot discs lead to hot pads, lead to hot calipers, pistons, fluid, etc.

We typically have large stacks of our iron disc rings in the warehouse here in Charlotte, NC...so when you need discs you can actually get them! You'd be shocked at how many companies carry little or no stock of spares to support their products.

Also, the less frequently you have to be swapping discs and pads, bleeding brakes, etc., the more time you have to be driving and enjoying yourself. That aspect of paying a slight premium can't be overlooked.

Read some of the owner reviews of our AP Racing J Hook discs over in the 991 section. You'll be very hard pressed to find anyone who thinks are discs aren't worth what they paid for them.
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Last edited by JRitt@essex; 11-15-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:40 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

"Read some of the owner reviews of our AP Racing J Hook discs over in the 991 section. You'll be very hard pressed to find anyone who thinks are discs are worth what they paid for them."

Did I read that right?

Quick Reply: steel rotors