Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK, GT3 daily driver diehards, tell me this...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003 | 12:43 PM
petert
Instructor

Default OK, GT3 daily driver diehards, tell me this...

--

Last edited by petert; 07-20-2004 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-06-2003 | 01:06 PM
TNGT3
Instructor

Although the GT3 is my "second" car, I drive it more than my 740il. I have not had any problem with people not being able to hear me on the phone while driving. And, I use hands-free all the time.

However, the front lip is definitely a pain in the ****. It is like scraping your fingernails across a chalkboard......you hate to do it. I decided to not worry about it. It is just something that is going to have to be replaced at some point. I am not going to let it ruin my enjoyment of the car.
Old 12-06-2003 | 01:24 PM
Madcaplaughs
Advanced

Originally posted by TNGT3
Although the GT3 is my "second" car, I drive it more than my 740il. I have not had any problem with people not being able to hear me on the phone while driving. And, I use hands-free all the time.

However, the front lip is definitely a pain in the ****. It is like scraping your fingernails across a chalkboard......you hate to do it. I decided to not worry about it. It is just something that is going to have to be replaced at some point. I am not going to let it ruin my enjoyment of the car.
You should try driving the GT3RS. It is 10MM lower than the GT3. I scrape the lip just about every time I take the car out. I live in the country where the lanes are just 7 feet wide at best! Potholes, vicious slopes, they are an everyday occurance.

Not a good everyday car, but then it was not built to be used as an everyday run around. It can be used as such but if you do then you must put up with its shortcomings. The Turbo is a better bet for everyday business use.

The GT3 is a brilliant car, in fact I would go as far as saying that it is the best car money can buy ( apart from the GT3RS) but it is a racer, designed for the track, that can also be used on the public roads. It is not going to provide you with the quiteness, smoothness and practicalities of other road cars because it was not designed to do so.
Old 12-06-2003 | 01:44 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

Stop being a *****.. The front lip that scrapes cannot cost more than a few hundred to replace down the road. Drive the car and enjoy it - worst case you change the lip every year.. Not a big deal.. I try to drive mine every weekend, but we got alot of snow yesterday and today so that will keep me inside as I do not have snow tires.
Old 12-06-2003 | 01:47 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Stop being a *****! You don't need no stinking snow tires, front lip acts as a snow plough.
Old 12-06-2003 | 03:25 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

I am new here, but see that you guys went through this a few moths ago with the thread, "GT 3 traded in after 1 day." It was by far the most hilarious thread I have ever read, and coincidently I just replied on that one yesterday….something to the effect of no wonder the brits think we are idiots. After reading all seven gut wrenching pages on that one I think it was summed up best by Viken, “It is all in the delivery of the message. So far, all I see is a bunch of whiners who post anti-GT3 messages in the form of exaggerated complaints. Normally, this type of behavior angers some of the aficionados including myself. When I am looking to buy a product, it being a car or otherwise, I spend considerable time doing research to see if it is the right product for me. Never have I sought a substantial product I felt was wrong for my tastes and returned or exchanged it. Having said that, I blame the anti-GT3 people for not going through the process of self education to make certain that they are buying the right product. As such, they are the only ones at fault and should go hide in a woodshed rather than *slam* the product in public in the manner they are doing it.” Although I agreed with most, if not all of the other deserved bashing mrcohanian got from the other loyal readers of this forum, Viken really hit home.

I had been reading this site for many, many hours and when I came across “1 day” I felt I had to comment. I myself just bought my first Porsche in July. I bought a 1993 RSA, for which I have the original test from R&T. I have most R&T and Car and Driver road test for every Porsche since 1986 (I now also subscribe to 911 World and GT). When I was six years old, I asked my parents to buy me P mags, and they had a station wagon. A RSA represented everything I wanted in a car, especially the fact that I would feel the road. My friend has one and I have test driven it several times and did a TON of homework before I bought the car. It is a rough ride (and I plan on putting a RS Euro susp. on it) and is loud, but that is exactly what I wanted. I drove it from Vegas to Virginia after purchasing and loved every bumpy mile. I am disgusted by those who have enough money to throw at cars they no nothing about and probably don’t care that much about. I guess these are the people who keep Porsche’s bottom line happy though, so I shouldn’t bitch. If I had the money, I would buy a GT3 tomorrow as I see it as a much more capable update of the RSA.

I am sure you have earned the money to buy your GT3, but I consider (all of) you very fortunate to be in that position. Most of the writers on this section on this site I think realize that, but the ones who don’t and buy $100,000 cars with no forethought are a disgrace in my book. I hope with enough hard work I will be able to afford the 997 GT3 in three or four years.

Forklift (I drive with the rears)
Old 12-06-2003 | 03:28 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

P.S. The only time I use my cellphone in my car is when I have the phone out the window so the person on the other end can hear the pipes better.
Old 12-06-2003 | 03:29 PM
Mr. RS
Instructor

Default Daily Driver

Mmm...

You ask the question

"So are you guys serious? You are really driving these things around every day? Surely you have the same issues?"

I commuted 130 miles per day in my Mk1 for the first 18 months I had it and managed to rack up over 30K in the 21/2 years I had the yellow peril.

The only time it ever let me down was when snow got wedged in the radiators and it over heated, my fault for not paying attention to the gauges.

In that time I scrapped the front everyday, but only had to replace the lip once. Only time I got stuck was coming out of the Goodwood car park at the festival of speed and had to reverse out.

I had so much fun in my first GT3 and became so dialled into it because of the miles that I can honestly say that it was the best car I ever owned.

The RS now has over 1000 miles on it and I only took delivery last Thursday, admittedly I did go to the factory to collect it.

In those thousand miles I have scraped the front every day washed it once and have'nt stopped grining.

I think we have a good future togeather!

So to answer your question "You are really driving these things around every day?"

The answer is YES! What else would you buy it for?!?

Just off to the Super market in my White and Red Bettle, catch you later!

P.
Old 12-06-2003 | 03:32 PM
sjsharks
Racer

Can't you do some backyard mechanics to the front lip to make it more road friendly?
Old 12-06-2003 | 03:45 PM
Mr. RS
Instructor

Originally posted by sjsharks
Can't you do some backyard mechanics to the front lip to make it more road friendly?
If you are only a low speed user, that might be an idea. However, the only time I drove my car without the front lip WAS the only time I drove the car without the front lip!

It completely upsets the balance of the car, but fell free to try it out for yourself. Do make sure you do it near a hospital though...

I think the answer to the question for our friend is buy a C2 with a body kit.

Job done.

Next!

P.
Old 12-06-2003 | 05:08 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

pete,

why not buy my wife's S600 which is for sale? you'll be stylin', has hands free phone and nav, and never scrapes.

why own a car you can't drive everyday w/o suffering anxiety attacks?? get rid of that gt3....porsche reads your "complaints" and we get no RS.

who gives a f.ck if the valence scrapes, believe me GT3 spends a lot less time pounding the ground than gt2, and i drove those every day for 15,000 miles. relax and wind the **** off it. it's a Porsche.
Old 12-06-2003 | 05:47 PM
Steve N.
Racer

Different strokes for different folks. It was inevitable that a fair number of buyers would not find the GT2/GT3 to their tastes. In my view the suspension of my GT2 isn't too stiff - it's just that the roads are too bumpy at times! So I just try to stay off the worst ones.
Old 12-07-2003 | 12:05 AM
ADOGNY
Racer

Metal -

Thanks for the advice - I just used the GT3 and the front lip to plow my whole driveway. I am thinking of cruising the neighborhood for more jobs to make some extra cash now..
Old 12-07-2003 | 02:40 AM
mds
Pro

My biggest frustration is that when I'm in the car everybody else seems to be driving too slow.
Old 12-08-2003 | 01:29 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Pete,

I use my car for work, commuting and pleasure. I have over 3000 miles on it since August.

I have had the experience the scraping of the front spoiler lip regularly and even had to refasten it once but that doesn't bother me too much. I'm careful with ramps but not **** about it. As with my previous aerokit 996, I just assume the spoiler lip is a consumable and plan to replace it once it gets too beat up.

As for the phone, I use a Sony-Ericsson T68i which has a BlueTooth (wireless) headset. It works just fine in the car and I've never had a problem with people hearing me.

The one other convenience option I do miss is a Nav system, which I've been using regularly on all my other vehicles for the past 4-5 years. To solve this, I'm working on replacing the stock CDR-23 with a Traffic Pro. I have the TP hooked up and working and plan to install the GPS antenna and reverse wire this week to see if I can get the Nav part working.

If I get this working, I will have the perfect commuter car for me. The only place I won't take it is downtown DC (roads too rough) and the airport for extended stay parking (worried about theft).

Karl

Quick Reply: OK, GT3 daily driver diehards, tell me this...