Sponsored by:

Installing gear box with engine in car

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 12:50 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 730 Likes on 457 Posts
Default Installing gear box with engine in car

I am looking for any hints, tricks, tools, that would make lining up the cross shaft easier while you are installing the gearbox back into the car with the engine in the car. Someone must have done this.

I have done this on Carrera with the engine out of the car, but not with the engine in the car.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:00 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

it is a massive pain in the *** and will leave you wishing you pulled down the motor at the same time. If you have a lift and a transmission jack it's much easier but still a pain in the ***.

Take the motor mounts lose and lower them to the bottom of the threads and that couple inches of downward movement is going to be your best friend.

I did this recently and pretty much swore off ever removing transmission without the motor again in the future.

After about an hour of struggling to get it the first time I dropped the dust cap for the fork shaft inside the case and had to pull it apart and start all over again.

Only other advice I can give is tape the fork to the flywheel with blue painters tape NOT duct tape as the duct tape can be extremely difficult to get out of there when it's all done.

Best of luck...I get angry just thinking about doing that job again
Old 08-28-2017, 09:42 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I cringe at the thought as well, but it can be done.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:12 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

I JUST pulled the motor & tranny by myself. I do have a lift, but all told it is under 7/8 hours. I take my time and put stuff in baggies etc...

I have a Sear tranny jack - not expensive, and I made a cradle for the motor out of wood. Pretty sure that pulling just the tranny is just not worth the amount of time saved...

Ray
Old 08-29-2017, 02:22 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 730 Likes on 457 Posts

Yes, well, if I had to do it over again ... but I am here now.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:00 PM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Ditto,

i find an an excuse to take the motor down every time! I have a lift though and have lots of practice on numerous Porsches .
Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
it is a massive pain in the *** and will leave you wishing you pulled down the motor at the same time. If you have a lift and a transmission jack it's much easier but still a pain in the ***.

Take the motor mounts lose and lower them to the bottom of the threads and that couple inches of downward movement is going to be your best friend.

I did this recently and pretty much swore off ever removing transmission without the motor again in the future.

After about an hour of struggling to get it the first time I dropped the dust cap for the fork shaft inside the case and had to pull it apart and start all over again.

Only other advice I can give is tape the fork to the flywheel with blue painters tape NOT duct tape as the duct tape can be extremely difficult to get out of there when it's all done.

Best of luck...I get angry just thinking about doing that job again

Quick Reply: Installing gear box with engine in car