Car&Driver-Jan04: GT3 vs. Stradale vs. Ford GT

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 03:35 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by watt

PPS: the suspension improvements in the Mk II vs my 02 GT2 are so remarkable, i am thinking the 04 GT2 may actually be worth 15 under... and my dream car is evolving into a narrow body GT2 that feels as light and quick as the MK II......
Riddler:

There was something wrong with your GT2/suspension. That's what you get for buying used cars.
Old 12-03-2003, 04:23 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

JUMPIN JACK FLASH,

hmmmmmmmm one had 30 miles, other had 28 on delivery....
Old 12-03-2003, 06:35 PM
GTGTGT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too add more confusion to this - Road & Track tested the GT3 with different acceleration numbers. They were slower. Accleration was less, and skippad G was less.

Anyone know how Porsche determines there numbers for HP, and acceleration?
Old 12-03-2003, 08:00 PM
Madcaplaughs
Advanced

Originally posted by Mr. RS
Funny, I often think the same thing.

Hello? Hello? is this thing on....
Yes this thing is on. I get ignored too. I put it down to the fact that we are from the UK and as such we have access to the greatest 911 ever built, the GT3RS. We are obviously hated by those unfortunate enough not to be able to buy this wonderful 911.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:40 PM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think the forum was designed to seek attention..... I doubt anyone on this board 'hates' any Porsche owner..
Old 12-03-2003, 09:28 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Exactly what are the differences between the 02/03 and 04 suspension on the the GT2?
Old 12-03-2003, 10:35 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Madcap... No offense but I think you'll find you almost always get a reply when there is value in your post and or someone feels they have value to add (except in this case of course )
Old 12-03-2003, 10:45 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Colm - here's all I've seen on it:

"Extreme sports-car performance was a clear priority when this powerful turbocharged model was developed. This is why, in addition to the power output increase, the front and rear suspension has been optimized as well, with modified springs/shock absorbers and brake system. The car now has even more sensitive four-channel ABS for effective anti-lock braking. "

No specifics but maybe they learned how to tune the springs and shocks a little bit better?
Old 12-04-2003, 10:30 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

colm,

presumably will meet or exceed 04 gt3 improvements? i have read the GT2 team manager's comments to the effect: "we learned alot more developing the suspension of the 04 gt3, i wish we had a chance to apply what we now know to the gt2". that's my guess what 04 may have to offer. no way to know w/o driving it...
Old 12-04-2003, 11:26 AM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

I was looking at the Porsche website and it says that the GT2 is available with optional "competition springs"...very interesting.

You can compare the GT2 and GT3 suspensions here:

GT2: http://content3.us.porsche.com/prod/...chassischassis

GT3:

http://www2.us.porsche.com/english/u...xleconcept.htm

From these pictures the two suspensions look basically the same linkage-wise except of course the rear on the GT2 is setup for the widebody so the spring is set at more of an angle. Also front spring rates look quite a bit different and the rear springs are upside down. It's not really fair to compare spring weights between the two cars anyway due to the weight differential.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:19 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Originally posted by bob_dallas
Hey Watt - no reason why you can't do that with your existing car... Twin turbos on a GT3 would be quite a package

WRT ORR - would be interesting to evaluate the class where the GT3 would be competitive and whether gearing with a topspeed in the 170s would help even that. I admittedly have no experience with ORR but just a thought.
bob, unlikely i would have the car long enough to finish the project, but maybe tyson will do it when he buys my car... besides i would just buy another gt2 and save the BS.

for ORR, i would just leave it, even running 170, you'll be reving 5-6000 in 6th sustained for an hour...., you dont want it any lower, and the car will be perfectly competitive

Last edited by Sun Ra; 12-08-2003 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:50 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

Does anyone here have the guts to modify the GT3 to a twin turbo? The thought sounds so enticing, but it would ruin what the car really stands for. Probably wouldn't be worth it until one has mastered the car in this form, and the market shows us that this vehicle will not hold its value like every other water cooled Porsche. Only time will tell - I wont be the guinea pig anytime soon..

PS - I am from the US and I get ignored just as much as you Brits do. When Watt took my Batman and riddler line and put it as his signature I never felt happier in my life. For a brief moment, I was part of the "Club" - and it was a wonderful feeling my friends. One day maybe you too can share the joy.. One day..
Old 12-05-2003, 12:14 AM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

I might have to try ORR sometime - could be fun. I believe they run one in Texas near Big Bend or somewhere out there.
Old 12-05-2003, 04:44 AM
GuyR
Racer

Twin-turbo GT3 has been done before. One is for sale at the moment in the UK, for only slightly more than a new GT3.

http://www.williamloughran.co.uk/stockmenu.html

PORSCHE ‘GT3’ CLUBSPORT RHD. TTP 600bhp Finished in special order Iris Blue metallic. Current mileage 7,000. U.K. supplied.

Factory specification as follows:

Integrated roll cage, carbon fibre sports seats, 6 point harnesses, lightweight flywheel, ignition cut-off and carbon fibre and leather interior, Climate control.

Additional specification:

This vehicle was supplied new by Glenvarigill Porsche, in Scotland, to a client of ours. We purchased the car with delivery mileage only and sold the car to a client, who instructed that the car be sent to Turbo Technik Pietz AG (TTP), who undertook the conversion to 600 bhp specification, at a cost of £45,000.

This means that the car was converted to twin turbo spec using all new Porsche original parts and custom KKK turbos, as fitted to the current 996 Turbo including Porsche mahle turbo pistons and additional oil cooling as well as race spec. parts. The car has additional TTP custom exhaust, up rated Brembo 8 piston, 380mm race brakes at the front. Light alloy wheels and 'Gemballa' turbo GT spoiler. TTP front spoiler, carbon fibre lightweight bonnet and side skirts. The car was re-sprayed to accommodate the wider arches, front spoiler, bonnet, rear wing etc. all in original colour of metallic Iris Blue, by a German Porsche approved body shop.

The car is believed to be the only one in the UK. Gemballa's own test car was reviewed in the February 2001 issue of Porsche 911 World and the December issue of Sport Auto in Germany.

The Gemballa GT600, using the TTP engine, currently holds the modified production car lap record at the Nürburgring at 7:44 minutes. The car produced a TUV verified 590hp with 0-60 time of 3.6secs and 0-125 in 11secs and a top speed of 211.3 mph as tested by Porsche 911 World in February 2001.

We feel that this is a unique opportunity to obtain one of the fastest road cars in the world, at a fraction of the cost but with similar performance of a McLaren F1. £76,950
Old 12-05-2003, 08:30 AM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Guy - I thought I'd remembered Gemballa doing a Mk I conversion - I figured they'd be the first likely candidate for doing it to the new one as well. Hadn't seen all those stats though - sounds like a beast. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before someone in Europe does it to the new one as well. Looks like they basically turned it into a very boosted GT2 though with the wide body work. I guess the GT2 is probably a better platform now for that unless someone wants to stick with a narrowbody - maybe Ruf will do this in the spirit of the old Yellow Bird (narrow body turbo that is).

http://www.gemballa.com/Umr/G96_TGP2...6_TGP2002.html
http://www.gemballa.com/News/tgp2002.html

Quick Reply: Car&Driver-Jan04: GT3 vs. Stradale vs. Ford GT