Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Tires for Street

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017 | 12:03 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Default Which Tires for Street

I'm in a pickle here and need to find a set of 4 tires.

Tire Rack has two choices (PS2s are too expensive right now).

Pirelli P-Zero Rossi for $880

Sumitomo HTR Z for $498

I'm leaning toward the Pirelli if they are really a better tire.
Old 08-18-2017 | 12:33 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marv
I'm in a pickle here and need to find a set of 4 tires.

Tire Rack has two choices (PS2s are too expensive right now).

Pirelli P-Zero Rossi for $880

Sumitomo HTR Z for $498

I'm leaning toward the Pirelli if they are really a better tire.
I have a pretty aggressive track alignment, so I run the Sumitomos (and have for almost 10 years). They are "meh" on the street - but they have a high tread rating so they last a while.

I've run both the HTRZ II and III. I can't remember which Sumitomos can be flipped on the rim for extra life, but I think it's the II. Depending on how much it rains where you are, that might not matter, and you could flip them regardless.

-td
Old 08-18-2017 | 01:27 PM
CME
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tire Rack website shows the new Continental Extreme Sports are available in GT3 sizes for the street (295/35 rear instead of 295/30). I have these tires on one of my cars and have had previous versions of these on other cars. They are a pretty good tire and not that pricey.
Chet
Old 08-18-2017 | 06:10 PM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Ditto, cheap tire's for driving on the street or to the track!

Originally Posted by himself
I have a pretty aggressive track alignment, so I run the Sumitomos (and have for almost 10 years). They are "meh" on the street - but they have a high tread rating so they last a while.

I've run both the HTRZ II and III. I can't remember which Sumitomos can be flipped on the rim for extra life, but I think it's the II. Depending on how much it rains where you are, that might not matter, and you could flip them regardless.

-td
Old 08-18-2017 | 06:20 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Ordered the Sumitomos. Will see how they do.

Thanks to everyone's input!
Old 08-18-2017 | 07:46 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Sumis more than fine. Heck, I ended up doing 6 days on track at the Glen and Calabogie with them. Nothing to love, but they work and don't chunk.

My interest was the hardest, longest lasting street tire to endure a track alignment/abuse. They pass the test!

M
Old 08-18-2017 | 08:22 PM
hockenheimr
Burning Brakes

Pirelli P-Zero Rossi don't last very long and get very greasy on track.
Old 08-18-2017 | 09:53 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Wow! thanks for the help. I look forward to trying these new tires.
Old 08-19-2017 | 08:32 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

+1, great street tire but not for track... lots of miles on Sumi's on BMW, great summer tire..
Originally Posted by hockenheimr
Pirelli P-Zero Rossi don't last very long and get very greasy on track.
Old 08-20-2017 | 10:23 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993GT
+1, great street tire but not for track... lots of miles on Sumi's on BMW, great summer tire..
Thanks! I am looking forward to the Sumitomos next week.

I'll let you know what I think. There is an autocross on the 9th I may try, too, just for fun.
Old 11-08-2017 | 11:13 PM
wolfgang1
Rennlist Member

ugh.. ordered semi's from tire rack for my newly acquired car... and costco wouldn't install them bc they don't meet the load rating in the rear.... i guess i will bite the bullet and buy the michelins..
Old 11-09-2017 | 12:06 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wolfgang1
ugh.. ordered semi's from tire rack for my newly acquired car... and costco wouldn't install them bc they don't meet the load rating in the rear.... i guess i will bite the bullet and buy the michelins..
Find another I installer if u already have the tires.
Old 11-09-2017 | 02:58 PM
black04
Racer

Originally Posted by wolfgang1
You mean Sumitomos? That doesn't seem like it could be correct. Did you verify those numbers?

Was Costco a Tire Rack associated installer? There is likely some other reason Costco refused. Just go elsewhere.

FYI if you are shopping for performance tires for your MecLexBMWMazAcuETC the same tire available at Costco is much cheaper at an independent tire shop, ordered from a distributor. Everyone seems to think that Costco has the best/cheapest stuff
Old 11-09-2017 | 06:09 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by black04
You mean Sumitomos? That doesn't seem like it could be correct. Did you verify those numbers?

Was Costco a Tire Rack associated installer? There is likely some other reason Costco refused. Just go elsewhere.

FYI if you are shopping for performance tires for your MecLexBMWMazAcuETC the same tire available at Costco is much cheaper at an independent tire shop, ordered from a distributor. Everyone seems to think that Costco has the best/cheapest stuff
Just put your car on stands and take the wheels and tires separately for install. Don't buy another set of tires just because Costco won't install them...

-td
Old 11-09-2017 | 07:53 PM
wolfgang1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by black04

I checked... the recommended load rating in the rear is 98Y and the Sumo's are 94Y.

The math suggests the 94Y are "ok"... but I ended up buying the michelins

Quick Reply: Which Tires for Street