Sponsored by:

First Drive Impressions and Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 12:34 PM
billatlanta
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile First Drive Impressions and Questions

Took the car for a few hour first official ride this morning in north GA. Car is very different from my 03 996 C2 I traded. The engine sounds tell you this is a different beast. Doubt I ever will use the radio for music. It is a chore driving within posted speed limits for those areas that you need to comply. It also is a challenge to keep it under 4200 rpm. It will be a long 1000 mile break in period.

Looking forward to my first DE - Mark thanks for the reminder on getting the application in. I will check my schedule and if I have no conflicts I will send it this evening.

Questions:

1. Car has what appears to be a rough low idle. Have any of you experienced this?

2. The brakes - today they are really squealing. Disappointing. Sounds like a ten year old car that needs brakes. Any thought on this would be appreciated.

Looking forward to the afternoon ride.

Bill

Old 11-23-2003, 01:39 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't say whether you have ceramics or not, but it's probably the yellow pads. They're noisy at light pressure most time, but a few hard stops (after you seat them in) will quieten them down a little bit.

The simple cure..drive faster and brake harder!

When you contemplate the reasons for the noise and the benefit at high speeds, that noise wil eventually have you smiling..you'll learn to live with it and like it, very soon.
Old 11-23-2003, 02:58 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you think it idles rough, be glad you don't have a single mass flywheel like the RS version...Idles like a funny car from what I hear. The idle you are experiencing is completely normal. Welcome to the world of racing motors...well almost... :-)
Old 11-23-2003, 03:50 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,799 Likes on 2,375 Posts

billatlanta, congrats,
yeah, idle is a tad rough, but once warmed up it goes away.
brakes (if steel rotor) like colm said, drive up to 80 and brake very hard to 15mph, do that for 10 time, squeaking stops.

you like the sound huh? goto 6000 rpm, it's intoxicating.

cheers.
Old 11-23-2003, 04:28 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 962 Likes on 586 Posts

Ditto on the brakes. Squeaking essentially goes away after some miles and a few hard applications (steel rotors here.) I kinda like the rough idle, like a racing engine. And that sound above 6 or 7K??? WOW!!!
Old 11-23-2003, 07:06 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

wail it a few times to 8000 up the canyon and you'll forget the rough idle. once warm idles 850 and v. quiet

Quick Reply: First Drive Impressions and Questions