Magnus walker's 911s burbles?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 10:12 PM
spreeleon
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Magnus walker's 911s burbles?!

Hello all!

i get a kick out of watching and listenjng to magnus walker videos. Do any of you know how to get that burbling/metallic and raspy sounding exhuast sounds? I have a 996 c4s with pse and it sounds lovely but i have always wished it could be a tad louder and definitely more burbles.

i asked before and was told sport cats? Is there any other options? I live in cali and emissions out here is no joke.

thanks much!
leon
Old 07-17-2017, 11:38 PM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Which car or cars are your referring to? Magnus's air-cooled Porsche's? Or a 996? Not sure how many 996 he has, but one is certainly a GT3.

If you have the PSE exhaust you have a nice set up.

I am awaiting my FisterD mufflers. Once installed on my '99 C2 I will be able to compare them to the PSE exhaust in my son's '99. I'll try to get good recordings of both in a side by side comparison to see if there is much difference.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:12 AM
spreeleon
Instructor

Default air cooled and water cooled car burbles

Originally Posted by 993James993
Which car or cars are your referring to? Magnus's air-cooled Porsche's? Or a 996? Not sure how many 996 he has, but one is certainly a GT3.

Thank you very much! Always great chatting with fellow Porsche enthusiasts about these lovely car. I was curious about both air cooled and water cooled cars and how and if it all possible to get either ohf them to sound like Magnus' cars. I am tempted to try to sell/trade my seal grey 996 c4s for an sc. i know it might not be the best move now but i have always wanted to have an air cooled porsche. Maybe i would be disappointed in the exhaust note of an sc with dansk exhaust? I know the pse on the c4s is really nice as is. Just doesnt have the burbles though.

I hear that the fister exhausts are excellenet.
thanks again!

leon

I am awaiting my FisterD mufflers. Once installed on my '99 C2 I will be able to compare them to the PSE exhaust in my son's '99. I'll try to get good recordings of both in a side by side comparison to see if there is much difference.
Originally Posted by 993James993

Thank you very much! Always great chatting with fellow Porsche enthusiasts about these lovely car. I was curious about both air cooled and water cooled cars and how and if it all possible to get either ohf them to sound like Magnus' cars. I am tempted to try to sell/trade my seal grey 996 c4s for an sc. i know it might not be the best move now but i have always wanted to have an air cooled porsche. Maybe i would be disappointed in the exhaust note of an sc with dansk exhaust? I know the pse on the c4s is really nice as is. Just doesnt have the burbles though.

I hear that the fister exhausts are excellenet.
thanks again!

leon

​​​​​​​
Old 07-18-2017, 05:02 AM
Silk
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

With 200cell sportscats it will burble. Also with an aftermarket silencer which is more 'noisy' then stock the chances are higher that a possible burble will be more audible.

Had some nice pops with 200cell x-pipe and cargraphic silencers. Now back to stock cats with the cargraphics and still some pops there although much less.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:18 AM
spreeleon
Instructor

Default Cell cats

Originally Posted by Silk
With 200cell sportscats it will burble. Also with an aftermarket silencer which is more 'noisy' then stock the chances are higher that a possible burble will be more audible.

Had some nice pops with 200cell x-pipe and cargraphic silencers. Now back to stock cats with the cargraphics and still some pops there although much less.
thank you very much for input. Curious, what type of cell cats do you have on yours? Did you do install yourself?

Glad to hear you got more burbles and pops!
Old 07-18-2017, 12:22 PM
Silk
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Installed last year the x-pipe form TopGear shop in Bridport UK.
I believe there was a group buy arranged in here in the 996 and 997 forum at the beginning of the year

Ask here for expeirences
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ll-x-pipe.html

Here is mine: They are a nice piece of craftmanship and the sound the make from 4000rpm onward is incredible. However they also droned a lot between 2000-3000rpm. At such an extent that it drove me crazy and deaf

So I went back to my old standard cross-over cats. Might be I will once upgrade to the 200-cell cross-over instead of the x-pipe.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:23 PM
spreeleon
Instructor

Default Cat 200

Thank you very much! sounds like a set of 200 cel cats is the way to go.
I will lookup on youtube for sound clips as well. any suggestions on brands that are great sounding but not as expensive as the fabspeed ones?

also, i'm tossing around idea of selling/trading my c4s 996 for an older SC. am i making a mistake? just wanted to get into some different. I've had an older 996 previously too.

thanks!
leon
Old 07-18-2017, 04:17 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by spreeleon
Thank you very much! sounds like a set of 200 cel cats is the way to go.
I will lookup on youtube for sound clips as well. any suggestions on brands that are great sounding but not as expensive as the fabspeed ones?

also, i'm tossing around idea of selling/trading my c4s 996 for an older SC. am i making a mistake? just wanted to get into some different. I've had an older 996 previously too.

thanks!
leon
Yes, sell it and buy the SC Clearly you are not satisfied with the 996...
Old 07-18-2017, 04:30 PM
spreeleon
Instructor

Default 996 vs sc?

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Yes, sell it and buy the SC Clearly you are not satisfied with the 996...
hehhe note and suggestion taken! Have you tried both 996 and sc? How would you compare the two? I do love the 996 pse sound and power.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:53 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by spreeleon
hehhe note and suggestion taken! Have you tried both 996 and sc? How would you compare the two? I do love the 996 pse sound and power.
I'm looking at 3.0L SCs and 3.2L Carreras for a longer term plan, but it would be a big sacrifice to lose the capabilities of the 996. So I'm going to wait & study the market a bit. I'd rather add a Carrera than replace a modern car with a classic. 3.2L for putting around the valley & the 996 when I wanna feel like Tom Cruise in Top Gun.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:22 PM
spreeleon
Instructor

Ditto, I've had two 996s now and have loved both of them. Only 911s I've owned and just really tempted to try out an air cooled and it seems like the SCs are the most affordable ones right now. I just hope there's one i can find tha'ts decent price and mainly sorted already.

The 996 definitely has nice torque and power. I think it gets a bad rep and totally underrated.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:45 PM
sammaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 3.2 and a 996. The 3.2 is a blast, but on longer drives I feel exhausted, no power steering, no abs, no heated seats, no air con. etc etc. It would depend on what you were going to do with it, for a weekend blast now and then the 3.2 is great fun and a smile generator. but as a more daily driver or long driving car the 996 is leaps and bounds ahead. it is also a lot faster. The 996 feels a lot more forgiving to me.

One advantage of the 3.2 is you can put a magnus walker steering wheel on it.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:55 AM
spreeleon
Instructor

Originally Posted by sammaw
I have a 3.2 and a 996. The 3.2 is a blast, but on longer drives I feel exhausted, no power steering, no abs, no heated seats, no air con. etc etc. It would depend on what you were going to do with it, for a weekend blast now and then the 3.2 is great fun and a smile generator. but as a more daily driver or long driving car the 996 is leaps and bounds ahead. it is also a lot faster. The 996 feels a lot more forgiving to me.

One advantage of the 3.2 is you can put a magnus walker steering wheel on it.
thanks for feedback. How about the engine and exhaust sounds between the two cars? I love the pse on my 996. How does the 3.2 exhaust compare to 996? Is it nice and loud? Ive seen videos and heard some in person where the scs are relatively quiet when in stock form. Wondering if id be disappointed in the exhaust sounds in an sc.

anyhow its been tough trying to sell/trade my 2004 c4s. Thought c4s had a better rep but maybe not. Ive priced it fairly but just no takers yet.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:17 AM
sammaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the 3.2 standard isn't very loud with the standard exhaust. depending on climate you will want to change it for a system with out the heat exchanger. Pretty sure magnus would have a fairly aggressive system on his. I would strongly suggest taking one for a drive, the SC has around 100hp less than the c4s. it makes a difference. The SC will probably feel faster due to no driving aids, and road noise etc. I ve noticed on road trips with the club, the older air cooled just cant keep up unless driven very loose and with a lot more skill. so I normally take the 996 so at least I am only 20 mins behind the newer guys for lunch.

A magnus/singer type sc or even standard will get a lot of waves/looks. that is probably the biggest advantage, or and the tyres are a lot cheaper. the actually maintenance isn't a lot difference.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:30 AM
spreeleon
Instructor

Originally Posted by sammaw
the 3.2 standard isn't very loud with the standard exhaust. depending on climate you will want to change it for a system with out the heat exchanger. Pretty sure magnus would have a fairly aggressive system on his. I would strongly suggest taking one for a drive, the SC has around 100hp less than the c4s. it makes a difference. The SC will probably feel faster due to no driving aids, and road noise etc. I ve noticed on road trips with the club, the older air cooled just cant keep up unless driven very loose and with a lot more skill. so I normally take the 996 so at least I am only 20 mins behind the newer guys for lunch.

A magnus/singer type sc or even standard will get a lot of waves/looks. that is probably the biggest advantage, or and the tyres are a lot cheaper. the actually maintenance isn't a lot difference.
Thank you again for all the great info!! I appreciate it. Love how most people on this site are so friendly.
i have heard the rawness and manual steering feels nice on an sc and gives you a more connected feel. At same time i do love havjng that nice torque of my 996 and also love the pse so its a toss up for me currently. Fact i am havjng tough time selling the c4s and considering how expensive scs have gotten it might not be best move for me noe that ive gotten more info. Its funny though because all the air cooled die hards often mention the engine noise but it seems to me on stock form they are fairly quiet.

thanks again!

Quick Reply: Magnus walker's 911s burbles?!