GROUP BUY REDUX - 996/997.1 NA 200 cell x-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 04:42 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts
Default GROUP BUY REDUX - 996/997.1 NA 200 cell x-pipe

Alright guys, let's try this again.

Unfortunately, the previous group buy thread is now toast. Phoenix explained that they could not guarantee availability of the cat pipes and x-pipes set out in the original thread. They were very forthright, acknowledging that they are the middleman in that transaction for those particular products, and just could not guarantee the supply.

Nevertheless, with Phoenix's help, I've been able to discuss another group buy with Top Gear directly (the manufacturer of the cat pipes and x-pipes in the original group buy). However, the group buy is for the big bore 63mm version of their x-pipe, and is slightly more expensive. Here they are:

Some details of the product:
  • construction is 100% stainless steel
  • 200 cell catalysts are manufactured in Germany by Redback Catalytic Converters
  • handmade in the UK
  • should fit PSE
  • the bigger bore is designed to counteract any torque loss in low RPM ranges

Links to the product:
https://www.topgear.co.uk/porsche-91...ecial-2-5-63mm

https://www.topgear.co.uk/porsche-91...-cats-2-5-63mm

Link to Redback Catalytic Converters:
http://www.redbackconverters.com/

Some details of the group buy:
  • 20% off via coupon code, will be time limited (details TBA)
  • shipping by DHL exclusively, I believe it runs about 40 GBP to North America

Important to note:
  • Website price is 624 GBP, but that includes 20% VAT, customers outside EU will not pay the VAT
  • Therefore, the group buy price should be substantially better than the website listed price. Details will be made public once available.

I have inserted the names of the Rennlisters who previously expressed interest but removed any reference to x-pipe or cat pipes, as there is basically just one product now. As we are essentially starting the group buy from scratch and the price is higher, some people may want to get out. So if you’re new, please express your interest and I’ll add to the list, or if you are no longer interested, let me know and I’ll remove your name from the list. For anyone who is already on the list, please take a moment to review - if there’s a question mark, that means you were not entirely sure before, or I wasn’t exactly sure if you wanted a 996 or 997 product.

Again, I ask the 996 guys to post up in the thread in the 997 forum, as I will keep the consolidated list there.

List of interested parties:
  1. comprehensive list is in the 997 forum thread

UPDATE, 15 March 2017:

Okay guys, the group buy is LIVE!!

Good news, there are basically no restrictions on what is available in the group buy. Punch in the coupon code at checkout and 20% off. Alex at Top Gear was very helpful in this regard.

Limitations - the code can be used up to 40 times only, and is available for one month (counting from yesterday). I just ordered my piece, so I guess there are 39 more slots available.

I am going to PM everyone who has responded expressing interest with the coupon code. I feel that is fair, as opposed to putting it out there in the public domain. If you are interested in participating, post up or PM me and away you go. Keep in mind, I will only PM the people who are on this list. I have tried to diligently keep it up to date as possible, so I'm hoping there are no errors but I'm not a database manager by any means, lol.

Other than my involvement in distributing the coupon code, I won't have any more involvement. Thanks for everyone's interest.

Last edited by Saaboteur; 03-15-2017 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:38 PM
dedens
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2000 C2 with FisterD. I am interested in the 200 Cell Cat pipes.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:51 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

still in here boss. Will post to the 997 thread per instruction.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:39 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Just curious. The site says that they fit 3.6 (996 MKII) and 3.8 L (997) engines. Do they also fit 996 MKI 3.4 L engines?
Old 03-10-2017, 12:49 AM
Gbug
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would love to hear a sound clip.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:13 AM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Not interested in anything with cats.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:21 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 173 Posts

pm'd, count me in
Old 03-14-2017, 03:43 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Any independent testing that shows what if any gains this yields?
Old 03-14-2017, 04:04 PM
m3driver
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Larger diameter exhaust almost always nets a loss of torque due to loss of back pressure, yet they claim they made theirs bigger to counteract loss of torque?
Old 03-14-2017, 04:37 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by m3driver
Larger diameter exhaust almost always nets a loss of torque due to loss of back pressure, yet they claim they made theirs bigger to counteract loss of torque?
There's a solution to your issue.

Don't buy them.

With the discount it basically shaves off the 20% premium on GBP.... .
Old 03-14-2017, 05:25 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
There's a solution to your issue.

Don't buy them. .....

That's not a solution to misleading advertisement.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:57 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Imo000
That's not a solution to misleading advertisement.
You know what, thanks.. reading this I see the 200-cell, non-X pipe cats for 400GBP and they advert. 12-15lb-ft.

But the X-pipe just says higher flow, no perf. improvement & they cost nearly twice as much..

These are a unique design optimised for sound and power with a larger bore 2.5" allowing greater gas flows. Fabricated here at Head Office in Bridport, Dorset, these powerful cats boast a fantastic sound and taper down to meet the original 55MM piping, making them an easy fit replacement for OE.

We are keen to secure high quality video clips and pictures of this system in action for our marketing purposes and we are willing to reward this effort from our customers with a £25 partial refund.
whereas the non x-pipe, 200-cell cats advert. a basic "area under the curve" improvement. My main focus is to improve sound but all else equal I'll go with the system that has the highest potential to improve area under the curve. Non-xpipe seems to be the ticket..

This pair of high quality, 200 Cell Sports cats are sure to add power and a sportier sound to your 911 996 or 997 Carrera. This part fits all 996 Carrera and 997 Carrera Generation 1 (not facelift/PDK model) and can be a direct replacement for OE cats. The cats will add +12-+15 BHP and are compatible with aftermarket parts that fit OE, such as Topgear silencers or manifolds.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:11 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

UPDATE, 15 March 2017:

Okay guys, the group buy is LIVE!!

Good news, there are basically no restrictions on what is available in the group buy. Punch in the coupon code at checkout and 20% off. Alex at Top Gear was very helpful in this regard.

Limitations - the code can be used up to 40 times only, and is available for one month (counting from yesterday). I just ordered my piece, so I guess there are 39 more slots available.

I am going to PM everyone who has responded expressing interest with the coupon code. I feel that is fair, as opposed to putting it out there in the public domain. If you are interested in participating, post up in the 997 thread or PM me and away you go.

Other than my involvement in distributing the coupon code, I won't have any more involvement. Thanks for everyone's interest.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:48 PM
troymichaud
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems the regular cat pipes are still not in stock (only the xpipe). Any work on the regulars?
Old 03-16-2017, 03:26 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
You know what, thanks.. reading this I see the 200-cell, non-X pipe cats for 400GBP and they advert. 12-15lb-ft.

But the X-pipe just says higher flow, no perf. improvement & they cost nearly twice as much..

whereas the non x-pipe, 200-cell cats advert. a basic "area under the curve" improvement. My main focus is to improve sound but all else equal I'll go with the system that has the highest potential to improve area under the curve. Non-xpipe seems to be the ticket..
High flow catalytic converters (aka 200 cell) are are nothing more than converters with very little material to do the scrubbing. They are high flow because there is less material in them but they usually won't last much more than your next emission inspection date if you use it as a normal daily driver. They are illegal in California because they don't last. All the group buyers should know this before buying one.

As for performance gains published by the manufacturer, you'll be lucky to get half of what they claim. What part of the "area under the curve" are they referring to? Regardless as in this case that would be 0 gain in butt dyno.

Quick Reply: GROUP BUY REDUX - 996/997.1 NA 200 cell x-pipe