996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Newbie Tire Size Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 09:10 AM
MSGGrunt
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I did read that the Sumitomos got good reviews and you can't beat the price. I hope they are capable of handling the extra 25 HP that comes with the Guards Red cars. I also have heard that car insurance companies charge more for insurance on Guards Red 911s because they are involved in more accidents caused by distracted, envious drivers of less sexy cars.

Having researched all I can about the IMS and how the 1998 and 1999 model years used the dual row design bearing and experience less failure than the newer single row bearing I am only looking to replace it when the clutch is done. On the same note, and I know I am new to the Porsche community but, I have not been convinced that the LN Engineering solution bearing is in fact an upgrade. Especially now that they have been installed in cars for a period of time and are seeing wear on even the ceramic bearings. Even to the point that LN has recommended replacement every 50k miles. To me that is not a solution to the problem.

When I replace my IMS I will go with the Direct Oil Feed bearing from TuneRS. This to me appears to be the best designed solution to getting oil where it needs to be, on the bearings.

Not to turn this into an IMS options thread. Just my research and my opinion.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:53 AM
Billup
Burning Brakes

Received 592 Likes on 330 Posts

I run Sumi's on my BMW and like noted previously, they are good bang for the buck tires. If you are merely using the car to toy around town, they'll work just fine.

FWIW the Solution is guaranteed for life, however it is $1,800 vs $800 I believe for the retrofit kit which has a 7yr warranty.

Congrats on the GR if the PPI goes through!
Old 07-13-2017, 11:36 PM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Wow! Love the Guards Red Aero! Beautiful Car! What wing does it have?
Old 07-14-2017, 02:04 PM
MSGGrunt
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure on the wing.

Quick Reply: Newbie Tire Size Help