Old 07-06-2017, 02:52 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Blue 2002 C4 Cab cracked cyl need help, possible sale

From Pelican
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...e-out-car.html

Fella has this:

P.S anyone looking to buy an engineless beautiful 2002 996 C4 Cab in Lapiz blue and natural leather interior?

I have no affiliation with this other than trying to help him.

Last edited by fpb111; 07-07-2017 at 11:13 PM. Reason: clarify intent
Old 07-07-2017, 09:12 PM
Serg996
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my car. And I'm open to selling it for a fair price, or any option to get it back on the road. Again, at a reasonable cost. I had planed on keeping this car for a long time; on average, I keep my porsches from 8 - 15 years. I've had this one for 2 years, and did a lot of preventive work/maintenance to it in May 2016 (IMS, Oil separator, plugs, intake tappets, new brakes, new tires...), but it suffered a catastrophic cylinder wall crack. I'm not sure what the protocol is for sharing pictures, for this reason, I'll refrain from uploading any. Absolutely everything was in perfect condition before the engine failure, even the interior show exceptionally little wear and tear.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:17 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

How many miles did you have on the car? Could tell us the circumstances that possibly caused the crack?

Anyway, sorry to hear about the loss of the car. I'm sure you feel gutted. Hope things make a turn for the better.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:32 PM
Serg996
AutoX

Certainly,

The last time I drove it, the odometer got to 65K miles. My wife drove it to her office, about 26 miles from my house to her office, and just as she was exiting Central expressway (which runs about 40mph during traffic hours), and merging onto Wolfe rd. the engine started missfiring . She called me straight away and I told her to get it to her office (less than 1/10th of a mile) and park it.
I had the tow truck pick it up from there and take it to a shop in Campbell, Ca. The mechanic called me that same day to let me know the bad news.]
So, the car is less than 65,100 miles if I remember correctly, and it is exceptionally optioned. I can share the VIN if it's safe.
Yes, it is very disappointing. I have owned 3 other Porsches ('77, '82, and '92) and none of them gave me any trouble whatsoever. Yes, the A/C hardly made any difference ('82 and '92), and I had to do the chain tensioners on my '82 as well as the fuel accumulator and the oil pressure sensor, but that's all. I think I've spent twice as much on my 996 in two years, as I did for all three of the air cooled ones in a span of about 17 years.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:59 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

Curious... what was the car's temp? Do you know? Had it been running hot?
Old 07-07-2017, 10:02 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Serg996
This is my car. And I'm open to selling it for a fair price, or any option to get it back on the road. Again, at a reasonable cost. I had planed on keeping this car for a long time; on average, I keep my porsches from 8 - 15 years. I've had this one for 2 years, and did a lot of preventive work/maintenance to it in May 2016 (IMS, Oil separator, plugs, intake tappets, new brakes, new tires...), but it suffered a catastrophic cylinder wall crack. I'm not sure what the protocol is for sharing pictures, for this reason, I'll refrain from uploading any. Absolutely everything was in perfect condition before the engine failure, even the interior show exceptionally little wear and tear.
Talk to the shop owner in Campbell CA about picking up an engine from a Porsche salvage business and installing this engine into your car.

He should be able to help you pick a good engine.

For possible sources of an engine I'll toss this out: There's Parts Heaven here in Hayward CA. They have buildings full of Porsche stuff and if anyone this close to you had an engine it would be Parts Heaven.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:14 PM
Serg996
AutoX

I'm familiar with Parts Heaven, since the late 90's. I haven't contacted them yet because I'm sure I'm looking at no less than 15K to get the car back on the road, and honestly, I need to budget for that. Like many of us, despite our taste for Porsches, out budget limits us in terms of how much we can spend on purchasing and maintaining one. I bought the car in July 2015, and on May 2016 I had already spent over 10K on it (preventative work and maintenance).
The car's temperature was normal, that's the one thing I always tell my wife to pay close attention to. She said temp was just above 180 degrees, and no chimes alerting her of any malfunctions prior to the miss-fires.

There's this option on the well known auction site http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-03-04-05-...torefresh=true , but I'm not sure what/how to test that the engine is working properly when it's out of the car.

Trending Topics

Old 07-07-2017, 10:16 PM
Serg996
AutoX

appreciate all your feedback and suggestions, guys. This helps me in researching solutions and planing for when I'm ready ($) to fix it.

here's a picture: https://1drv.ms/i/s!AnxMlI7qYuT1hXp8jPPjHZbmLrSn. excuse the quality.

Last edited by Serg996; 07-07-2017 at 10:37 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:48 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Serg996,
If there is/was any oil/water intermix in the surge tank/cooling system you should empty and flush the system. Use dawn, or equivalent, dish soap to clean any trace of oil out of the hoses. If you have intermix and leave it in the hoses they will soften and rupture next time you bring the system up to temp/pressure.
As I mentioned in the pelican thread I think a "Nickies" rebuild is the way to go. Depending on how much $$ you can spend.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:57 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

appreciate all your feedback and suggestions, guys. This helps me in researching solutions and planing for when I'm ready ($) to fix it.

here's a picture: https://1drv.ms/i/s!AnxMlI7qYuT1hXp8jPPjHZbmLrSn. excuse the quality.
for a couple k more you can get a rebuilt/refreshed engine.
https://www.vertexauto.com/porsche-9...built%20engine
Old 07-07-2017, 11:14 PM
Serg996
AutoX

Frank, I don't think there's any coolant in the oil or lines any more. The coolant tank looks clean too. I think whatever coolant made it's way to the cylinder, upon the wall cracking, made it's way out via steam out the driver's side exhaust. I may have to replace the respective catalytic conv. when the time comes, and if it throws any codes when running.

I had looked at the Vortex option, but because my engine is not rebuildable, there is no core value and I'd be looking at $15,500 for the 'long-block' plus labour charge for installing all the accessories from my old engine to the new long-block from vortex.

At the risk of coming across as whinny; I know there aren't any good options for my situation, but I can't justify dropping another 18-22K on the car. I'm looking for the cheapest option available, although this is not at all what I normally do.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:10 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I had planed on keeping this car for a long time; on average, I keep my porsches from 8 - 15 years.
This is important and something to think about hard.

Getting a working motor back in the car is not going to be cheap, but if you really love the car and intend to keep it that long then you might be able to consider it worthwhile in the long run.

If you are serious about that kind of ownership time, talk to either Jake Raby (Flat 6 Innovations) in GA or Tony Callas (Callas Rennsport) in CA about the options they can give you. Both will be on the extreme end of the price range, but you'll have a motor that will give you the desired ownership time with no worries about going through this or any other known m96 failure again.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:13 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

I think they say something like $$ for cracked cylinder core? What ever.
I think LN could fix your cracked cylinder, pretty sure they bore away most of the old one to insert their liners. You will see when you talk to them.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:02 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Sorry for your loss (made me sick to my stomach just reading of this)
The cheapest may be to sell it as is...
Old 07-08-2017, 05:21 AM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

have you considered a boxster S motor? youll be down 50hp but they are $3-5k and thicker walled cylinders so more reliable, good option if you dont mind a slower car

Quick Reply: Blue 2002 C4 Cab cracked cyl need help, possible sale