Sponsored by:

Tiptronic disengaged while accelerating & changing from "D" to "M"

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 07:53 PM
giese639
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tiptronic disengaged while accelerating & changing from "D" to "M"

Have a 2003 C2 Cab with Tiptronic. It's been sitting a lot due to work circumstances. Today I took it out, after warming it up properly of course, and was accelerating into highway traffic from an on-ramp. Under acceleration, I shifted from "D" to "M" and downshifted to try to gain more positive acceleration (maybe I downshifted one too many times but rpms still well below redline - maybe 4500) and the Tip disengaged: transmission was effectively in neutral without the gear shift being in "N." I just coasted to the shoulder and thought the tranny was toast. In the process I switched back to "D" (automatic mode). Still nothing. No gear selector light on - which was accurate since the car was not in gear though the gearshift was in "D" (but also I didn't see the dreaded "4th Gear" transmission fault light blinking either). When the car slowed down (though not stopped yet) it slipped back into gear (once again, it was in "D" now - auto mode) and then it operated normally the rest of the drive. Anyone else had this or know of a similar occurrence/what might have caused the Tip to step out of gear? I'd like to believe Porsche built in a protective disengagement action in its transmission algorithm to protect the auto gearbox from undue stress, but I know that scenario isn't realistic.

Internal clutch or torque converter? seemed to slip out of joint, then appeared to slip back...if that's possible. But not a transmission guy so just guessing....

Thanks for any ideas that would explain this first ever occurrence of my Tip flaking out.

Steve
Old 07-05-2017, 12:11 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 634 Likes on 344 Posts

Definitely NOT normal.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:27 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,235 Likes on 755 Posts

use the switches to down shift................... why go out of your way to beat on it?

maybe you found a rare use case outside of the shift map............
Old 07-05-2017, 03:37 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 634 Likes on 344 Posts

A few things come to mind here.

1. Moving from D to M and vice versa should never cause a problem.

2. You don't need to switch to M in order shift via the buttons.

3. If you stomp on the gas while in D, the transmission will automatically drop to the lowest safe gear.

I've had my Tiptronic C2 for 7 years and never experienced what you described.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic disengaged while accelerating & changing from "D" to "M"