Sponsored by:

Want to replace 1999 convertible top myself

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 05:20 PM
TNT63Falcon
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Want to replace 1999 convertible top myself

I purchased a VERY nice, 1999 996 Tiptronic Cabriolet , with about 139k miles, as a DD, for $8,000. .Car is pretty much perfect, with the exception of the (you guessed it), REAR VINYL WINDOW. The PO removed the window, because it was faded and cracking. The rest of the top is not bad, but not great. Shows signs of wear and slightly fading. I thought about trying one of those zip in windows that you can got on EBAY, but I haven't heard or seen a post of ANYONE being successful at doing it. The rest of the top is ok...not great. Shows some signs of wear, but for a DD, it is perfectly acceptable. However, I figured for a few hundred dollars more, I can buy a new top. I am pretty handy with the tool kit and have no issues with taking out a transmission and engine, and doing work on them. and those types of projects.

Instead of plopping down a couple of grand for a new top and install at a shop, I thought I would tackle the replacement of the top myself. Not that I have an issue with installers making the $1,000 or more to install the top, but I rather enjoy working on my Porsches and learning new things Here are the questions, for those of you that have done such a thing, or have experience in such tasks.

HOW DIFFICULT IS IT TO DO?

How long did it take you?

Any TIPS or Tricks to successfully doing the job?

Any special tools required?

Any write-ups that you are aware of or videos? (I did see the one for the Boxster, but that doesn't have the headliner and slightly different than 911)

If there aren't any write-ups for a 996.1, I might create one, with lots of pictures and explaination.

Thanks for any feedback or advice.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:36 PM
Flat6Music
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 122 Posts

First of all, beautiful hood ornament.

I'm in the same boat. My 99 convertible top has seen better days, too. It is faded and worn. The plastic rear window is sun beaten to beyond any remedy that I've tried to make it decent again. I've considered attempting dyeing the blue top black and somehow replacing the rear window. Both are temporary answers.

Or...

As another option, I've read somewhere that later model 996 tops with the glass rear window will work if you also swap in the newer bow mechanism/hardware. Plastic Windows that I've had in other convertibles have always been an exercise in futility by chasing constant degradation. I'm thinking that this may be the way to go in order to never deal with the rear window again and also avoid the tiny glass rear window option in the aftermarket tops for early models.

But either way, please share your progress through this.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:17 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

I replaced the cloth Cobra top on a Mustang GT not long ago and it was a pain in the a$$. It was difficult to get the length exactly right when it was secured to the bow in the back. You are mounting it to a bow that is curved in two dimensions. I had to secure the fabric to the bow, install the fasteners to the car and put it up to check the fit. When it wasn't quite right, I had to uninstall it, remove the staples, adjust, re-staple, and reinstall. Had to do it three time total, and that was after initially using the old top as a template. It took almost all day to do it.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:47 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

Closest you are going to get is for a boxster for a DIY. There are a couple you tube videos. Watch those and see if you want to attempt it.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:55 AM
dcdrechsel
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Four years ago I took the top off and had a new window sewn in .Lessons learned : Should have bought a new top , you absolutely need the shop manual which is a hard read , the trickiest part is the headliner and the zipper .If you have a lot of patience and carefully follow the shop manual steps you can do it
As an aside I first tried the zip in window -unfortunately as I was zippering the tension delaminated the zipper .
Old 07-05-2017, 10:37 AM
TNT63Falcon
Instructor

Originally Posted by dcdrechsel
Four years ago I took the top off and had a new window sewn in .Lessons learned : Should have bought a new top , you absolutely need the shop manual which is a hard read , the trickiest part is the headliner and the zipper .If you have a lot of patience and carefully follow the shop manual steps you can do it
As an aside I first tried the zip in window -unfortunately as I was zippering the tension delaminated the zipper .

So you tried the zip in window that you can find online, and it came apart? Or the zipper on the headliner came apart? I have yet to find any record of anyone successfully using the replacement zip in window.

Where did you get the shop manual? I am guessing you don't mean the Bentley manual?
Old 07-05-2017, 11:56 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

please post avatar pic in thread, I need to see what you did to those headlights.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:23 PM
dcdrechsel
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

The zipper that is laminated to the top .I got the shop manuals on line from a forum member .Suggest you start a thread that you need a copy of the manuals Good chance someone will help..
Old 07-05-2017, 08:47 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

Reading many DIY attempts at replacing the convertible tops on these cars and most end in heartbreak or divorce. Save your marriage and pay a professional shop to install it.
The following users liked this post:
jeffbird7 (02-10-2021)
Old 07-05-2017, 10:27 PM
TNT63Falcon
Instructor

Originally Posted by b3freak
Reading many DIY attempts at replacing the convertible tops on these cars and most end in heartbreak or divorce. Save your marriage and pay a professional shop to install it.
Thanks for the advice, but gonna charge head first into the project. Unless the 996 top is significantly different than a 986 (Boxster), I think I stand a 50/50 chance of success. Worst case, I drop the whole shabang off to a shop if I give up in frustration. I am all into learning and exploring.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:30 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

^Yup, some things are just not worth trying to DIY!
Old 07-05-2017, 10:58 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

One piece of advise is that you clearly communicate with your helper if you have to lift the top mechanism off the car. My helper let his end of the mechanism lay on the paint before we had completely lifted it off and it put a 3 inch gouge in the clear coat that was too deep to buff out. The top assembly is heavier than it looks.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:09 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,234 Likes on 754 Posts

great price on '99 Cab tip. I am actually sorry to hear they are that cheap.

My '00 C4 cab tip feels the pain.........
Old 07-06-2017, 01:45 PM
Tom Gilmour
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased the rear window replacement from http://www.emiata.com/996Window
. $80 cheaper to buy from his online store than his ebay store for some reason. I plan on documenting the job and will post pics. The window with the zipper installed is a very nice quality. The only thing I plan on not using is the glue that he includes. I'm ordering a 3M adhesive with a primer.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:44 PM
TNT63Falcon
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tom Gilmour
I purchased the rear window replacement from http://www.emiata.com/996Window
. $80 cheaper to buy from his online store than his ebay store for some reason. I plan on documenting the job and will post pics. The window with the zipper installed is a very nice quality. The only thing I plan on not using is the glue that he includes. I'm ordering a 3M adhesive with a primer.
Great! I did the same thing, Hoping to avoid replacing the top for a year or two. The PO had purchased a window, but never could get the zippers to start. I called them and they told me that if I couldn't get it to work, they would refund my money.

Also said, that there was a BMW YouTube video showing the procedure, but no Porsche.

Quick Reply: Want to replace 1999 convertible top myself