Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Just got rear-ended. What were your Lessons Learned?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 03:19 PM
SoCalMark
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some are saying stay away from the insurance co. recommended shops. That's not always true. The body shops insurance co's referring you to must meet stringent standards, must have the latest and most up to date equipment and well-trained employees. They are monitored closely. They will guarantee repairs done at recommended shops.

It's in the ins co's best interest top quality repairs are made. If a body shop does a bad job, or a great job, it reflects on the ins co. Most people think and say xyz insurance co fixed my car, not xyz body shop fixed my car. Ins co's write checks they don't repair cars.

While it's true the shops must use the ins co's negotiated repair rates, the body shops make that up by volume of business sent to them.

Some punky drunk kids found that my rear fender was just the right height to use as a step to run up to, step on, and do their flips. My insurance co recommended a very high-end shop that's factory certified by Lamborghini Audi, BMW, Bentley, and Porsche for repairs. The shop had to sublet part of the repair and my car was sent to the Porsche dealer in Newport Beach. Which took a while because they had to order parts from Germany. It also shows on CarFax now that my car was serviced and safety checked by Porsche of Newport.

I was a little embarrassed dropping off my 15 yr old 996 to this shop that was first class all the way and had nothing but every high-end car you could think of there. Several Porsches, all much newer than mine. So, I was extremely happy I used the body shop the insurance company recommended.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:42 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalMark
Some are saying stay away from the insurance co. recommended shops. That's not always true. The body shops insurance co's referring you to must meet stringent standards, must have the latest and most up to date equipment and well-trained employees. They are monitored closely. They will guarantee repairs done at recommended shops.

It's in the ins co's best interest top quality repairs are made. If a body shop does a bad job, or a great job, it reflects on the ins co. Most people think and say xyz insurance co fixed my car, not xyz body shop fixed my car. Ins co's write checks they don't repair cars.

While it's true the shops must use the ins co's negotiated repair rates, the body shops make that up by volume of business sent to them.

Some punky drunk kids found that my rear fender was just the right height to use as a step to run up to, step on, and do their flips. My insurance co recommended a very high-end shop that's factory certified by Lamborghini Audi, BMW, Bentley, and Porsche for repairs. The shop had to sublet part of the repair and my car was sent to the Porsche dealer in Newport Beach. Which took a while because they had to order parts from Germany. It also shows on CarFax now that my car was serviced and safety checked by Porsche of Newport.

I was a little embarrassed dropping off my 15 yr old 996 to this shop that was first class all the way and had nothing but every high-end car you could think of there. Several Porsches, all much newer than mine. So, I was extremely happy I used the body shop the insurance company recommended.
My experience was just the opposite. I initially dropped off my 996 Turbo at a local body shop who had repaired my Boxster after it was involved in a rear end collision. The Turbo had suffered damage from a mule deer encounter and the damage was more extensive.

After a few days I checked in on the progress and the body shop owner told me my insurance company was throwing up road block after road block to his properly repairing the car. Since the insurance company accounted for 40% of his business he was reluctant to challenge it on this one repair. He advised me to "get mad" and yank the car out of his show. He even gave me the name of the shop to have the work one. I did as he suggested and the car was repaired properly. Whiel the insurance company still balked at new parts, properly checking the car for tub/chassis damage (it had none thankfully), the body shop owner had been down this road many times and factory new parts were used and the car was checked on a Celette Bench for any chassis/tub damage and after a month or two properly repaired. The car kept its CPO warranty I might add and I used it a number of times after the car was repaired.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:52 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

If the other driver at fault avoid turning this in to your insurance company. You have more leverage with the other driver's insurance company.

Unless you or a passenger were injured and I hope not avoid a personal injury lawyer. You should not need a lawyer for getting the car fixed.

Pick the right shop to repair the car. The shop will know what do to. The car will be partially stripped -- rear bumper cover removed and the tires/wheels and the car put on a special alignment bench to ensure all critical hard points are not out of position and if any are will bring these back into position. These is as per Porsche repair guidelines, I might add.

New parts will be used. All parts should be purchased from PCNA through an authorized dealer. This is per Porsche.

While the body shop is suitable for any body/paint work any mechanical work -- say the exhaust is damaged -- should be done by a qualified Porsche tech at a dealer. This is also as per Porsche repair guidelines.

My advice is to avoid any fitting of custom/aftermarket parts. Focus on getting the car repaired back to its pre collision condition. Only after you have had the car thoroughly inspected by a Porsche tech and have spent some time with the car to ensure it was repaired properly then you can customize if you desire.

BE aware the repair process takes time and there is nothing you can do to speed it up. The other driver's insurance company even though it will have assumed responsibilty will move with glacial speed. My Turbo took 2 months to be repaired.

In some states you are allowed a loss of use of vehicle compensation. In CA it is $50/day for a max. of 30 days. If this is available get it.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:02 PM
texaninmichigan
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm so sorry to see this, but agree with many others. Repeating and adding:
1. Use your own shop, don't let them steer you to one of theirs (just had this problem with my own daily driver that is not my Porsche 996, will never do that again, and I know better, back in for repairs now.)
2. If you request OEM parts, don't be surprised if they ask for the difference in cost to be paid for by you, but push to not pay it, sometimes they cave, especially on high dollar cars like Porsches.
3. Make sure that your adjuster leaves the estimate open for addendums (mechanical for sure) and tell the insurer you want an appropriate mechanic to inspect the engine/trans/lights, etc. to ensure no issues--NOT THE BODY SHOP. They are normally not qualified to determine mechanical repairs required.
Good luck. I'm sure you'll get a great shop to do the work. This forum or your local dealer will have a good suggestion.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:59 AM
TomR9964S
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by deptotpr
Just got rear ended. 2001 Cab. Vehicle towed away and sent off on a flat bed. What were some of your insurance experiences? Please share some advice.....
After reading this thread I did a google search of Porsche approved collision centers. http://www.porschecollisioncenter.com/ This might be a good place to start if in need of Pcar collision repair put in your zip and find what is around you.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:01 PM
Long Islander
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Several years ago, when my wife's MB wagon was only 2 years old, she was rear-ended. It took around 3 weeks to get it fixed, but it was done perfectly. A few months later, I filed a diminished value claim and collected nearly $2k from the other driver's ins co. I used a print out from an online company that will give you a report for $50 based on your inputs (year, make, model, mileage). Do an internet to see if they're still around. I did have to haggle with the adjuster a bit because he tried to low-ball me on DV, and ultimately had to threaten to take them to small claims court. The newer the car, the higher the DV claim. Good luck.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:42 AM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

The one piece of the issue missing in all this is evidence of fault.
I suffered a small a rear ender while waiting at a stop light. The guilty party claimed I cut him off ! I had "Collision Only'. Without witness, it was he said/she said.
I eventually got a small settlement after some unpleasant negotiation.
I spent most of it on front+rear dual lens dash cams for all our cars
Old 06-29-2017, 01:34 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 209 Posts

Yikes! Sorry to see the ding, but happily it can be fixed. As noted above, make sure to check for hidden damage and insist on OEM parts.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:36 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by deptotpr
Just got rear ended. Please share some advice.....
Ask rporzio. He frequents the showoff thread.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:57 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,235 Likes on 755 Posts

I got hit in the rear three weeks ago. damage no where near as significant as the OP. Van rolled into me in stop and go traffic on expressway.

repairs finished up yesterday, 2000 C4 cab.

It needed a deck lid, bumper cover and bumperettes as well as latch pieces. Guards red paint match. $4,100. Used my own guy. Was able to get a used deck lid, the bumper cover had to be sourced new. they are Expensive.

Quick Reply: Just got rear-ended. What were your Lessons Learned?