996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Top will not fully retract

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 08:23 PM
LarsCarrera
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced an original top with an original top. The frames were identical....unbolt my original light grey, much smaller, with a slightly green tinted plastic window with what the dismantler said was an '05 Turbo Cab top....in black, glass window. KoB.....you did not say, but is your window plastic? If it is and it folds when retracted....then, I have probably found the problem.....glass doesn't fold! Duh! Sad.....I could have saved a grand!
Old 06-10-2017, 09:47 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LarsCarrera
I replaced an original top with an original top. The frames were identical....unbolt my original light grey, much smaller, with a slightly green tinted plastic window with what the dismantler said was an '05 Turbo Cab top....in black, glass window. KoB.....you did not say, but is your window plastic? If it is and it folds when retracted....then, I have probably found the problem.....glass doesn't fold! Duh! Sad.....I could have saved a grand!
Yup, original 996.1 top with plastic window. And yes, it folds when retracted.

There are a few threads about aftermarket tops ... IIRC, GAHH makes the closest-to-OE top, while some other people have gone with Sierra Tops and saved some money.

I assume you'll be able to resell the '05 Cab top, but I don't envy you the work of removing and replacing it.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:54 PM
iammclovin804
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KoB
Yup, original 996.1 top with plastic window. And yes, it folds when retracted.

There are a few threads about aftermarket tops ... IIRC, GAHH makes the closest-to-OE top, while some other people have gone with Sierra Tops and saved some money.

I assume you'll be able to resell the '05 Cab top, but I don't envy you the work of removing and replacing it.
I have the GAHH glass window top on mine and the sealing on the window crapped the bed. I wouldn't recommend it.

Quick Reply: Top will not fully retract