Sponsored by:

Annoying coolant drip!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 02:50 AM
318touring
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Ah, the exact same problem I had!

Not hard to do except keep your face far away from the area when you are undoing the bolts. Ask me how I know.

Really easy to do, I bought a new cover plate too not just the gasket (I don't think you can only buy the gasket).
Old 05-28-2017, 02:57 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

318touring how did you know it was the cover plate? The more I think about it the more it might be the plate rather than the hose...
Old 05-28-2017, 05:19 AM
318touring
Pro

After determining it wasn't AOS, Ahsai pointed me to that cover plate. After a few days it was obvious that nothing from further up would be leaking coolant, after cleaning everything up.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:33 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Its quite odd, it wont leak when the car is running only when it has been sitting overnight.

I dont have a good jack at the moment and i'm taking the car back to the dealership has im having issues with my clutch pedal, ill have them take a look. Hopefully they can determine if its the hose or if its the plate.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:45 PM
318touring
Pro

What I usually do is to jack the car up and place 3-4 wooden boards under each rear tyre. That gives me enough room to slide in under the car. More importantly it is safe! Obviously I then remove the jack to ensure that it won't be the main thing holding the car up.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:08 PM
dan_189
Race Car

I use the standard scissor jack then use jack stands with a piece of rubber on top of it placed under the subframe. If I had the space I'd get a 2 post lift, they are awesome.

If you're heavy into the DIY there are also portable lifts too.

Also my car has RoW m030 so it's ever so slightly lower so I've got a new super low profile trolley jack on order B)
Old 05-29-2017, 02:39 AM
dan_189
Race Car

So an update on this, looks like Ashai and 318touring might be right!
Had the car on the lift at the OPC (for a clutch pedal issue - clutch pedal not returning to full out) and we were looking around for the leak. Looks like it's coming from that cover.

If it does turn out to be that, the symptoms are no leaks under a pressure test or while the car is operating. Only when the car has been left sitting will a few drops appear directly under the rear swaybar on the right hand side (front of bank no. 2 - 4-6).
Old 05-30-2017, 02:22 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Hey guys okay so OPC it is ​​the cover plate that is leaking. They quoted me quite a few hundred to do it as they won't reuse the coolant.

Anyone have a DIY write up on it?

Assuming its something like:
- securely jack up rear of the car
- have a large bucket ready
- undo two bolts, 10mm hex?
- catch coolant out of the engine in clean bucket
- install new plate with gasket
- check if coolant is clean and strain before refilling, if it's not usable (i.e contaminated) purchase more coolant (matching what's in it - in my case genuine coolant).
- follow coolant bleeding procedure

Alternatively should I just drain as much coolant as I can through the engine drain plug and catch it in a clean bucket, replace the cover then refill?

Also anyone have a part number or the plate and gasket?
​​​​​
Old 05-30-2017, 02:41 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Okay found the part:

996 101 01 600

Diagram shows a gasket but according to this thread and Ashai only the plate is required and so is draining the coolant or it will end up all over me...

https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi...g-coolant-lid/

Can anyone please confirm if I can just drain via the drain plug? I don't really want to start taking off hoses if I can avoid it.

Is the plate accessible without removing the hoses beneath it?
Old 05-30-2017, 04:54 AM
318touring
Pro

As I said on that thread, I didn't drain the coolant. The car didn't drain itself off coolant. Just be ready and protect your face from splashing coolant.

I bought a one litre bottle of Porsche coolant for refill, just in case. Only needed around half a litre at the end. Make sure your bucket is clean, strain the coolant before putting it back in the car.

The plate will come with a new gasket.

I didn't remove any hoses to get to the plate. Space is tight though.

A couple hundy? That's crazy!
Old 05-30-2017, 05:03 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by 318touring
As I said on that thread, I didn't drain the coolant. The car didn't drain itself off coolant. Just be ready and protect your face from splashing coolant.

I bought a one litre bottle of Porsche coolant for refill, just in case. Only needed around half a litre at the end. Make sure your bucket is clean, strain the coolant before putting it back in the car.

The plate will come with a new gasket.

I didn't remove any hoses to get to the plate. Space is tight though.

A couple hundy? That's crazy!
Thanks 318touring, did you dilute the coolant you added or did you just add some in to get to the same level in the reservoir? Did you bleed the cooling system as well?

I might buy a 1L bottle of coolant and ditch what comes out if it's not too much.

So get under, release two bolts, catch coolant, install new cover, fill coolant, bleed system and then beer?

This might be an odd question but assuming you didnt have a lift how did you position yourself under the car for best line of sight and working access?

Price I was quoted was $1300 including a slave cylinder however I was previously quoted $80​​​0 for just the slave so that leaves $700 for the plate. I'll need to clarify tomorrow as that seems ridiculously expensive... I also think they are quoting to drain and refill the entire cooling system and coolant from memory is around $250 for the full quantity.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:39 AM
318touring
Pro

Don't think I diluted the coolant - I drove around with the bypass valve (next to the cap) on the open position.

Remember, eyes and mouth away from the splashing coolant!

Jack one side, slide three wooden boards (20-30mm thick each) under the tyre. Do the same on the other side. Worked for me as I am small (t-shirt size S). If one is heavily build, one will definitely more space! When you get to a certain point when jacking the car up, the whole side will be on the air. To give yourself more room you might want to slide one wooden board under the front tyre one each side too. I can take a picture of my wooden boards tomorrow, if you like.

Drain and refill with new coolant will indeed cost around $700 - if reusing old coolant then they are obviously just having a laugh.

I bought mine from Pelican

"OEM-99610101600 $21.75 1 $21.75
Genuine Porsche Part: CAP
- This part may be shipped directly from the manufacturer.
- This is a special-order OEM part and is non-returnable except
for warranty replacement."
Old 05-30-2017, 05:47 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Thanks for that 318touring. I'll jack it up see how much access I have. Interestingy when I used the scissor jack on the weekend it lifted the whole side, I don't recall that happening other times I've lifted it up??

Also the dealership quoted me $40 aud for the cover and they have it in stock so ill get it from them.

This is a main dealership here in Melbourne so *should* be new coolant!
Old 05-30-2017, 06:03 AM
318touring
Pro

Originally Posted by dan_189
Thanks for that 318touring. I'll jack it up see how much access I have. Interestingy when I used the scissor jack on the weekend it lifted the whole side, I don't recall that happening other times I've lifted it up??
It always will be - you'll need to be high enough though, at almost the full height of standard Porsche jack.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:36 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Interesting, could have sworn that wasn't the case. I really didn't like how the whole side of the car was up in the air haha.

Quick Reply: Annoying coolant drip!