Sponsored by:

Mounting an iPod

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 04:13 PM
chinhster
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting an iPod

Thanks to the excellent posts on adding an iPod, I've got an aux cable for the cdr220 in my 2001 996TT on the way. At least I hope so... I realized later that I never told him which head unit I had and there was a post that mentioned a cdr230. I tried to give him the part number but he said he knew what I needed.

Anyway, I'm looking at the best way of mounting the iPod. Right now, I plan on ordering a ProClip mount http://w3.easytrade.net/abm/product....25&fid=836846, and some holder to attach it to the mount.

I bought a Belkin auto charger (on sale for $20 from Circuit City http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...0&catoid=-9041) which also has an audio jack.

To minimize the number of wires going to the 3rd generation iPod (which is also on its way) to just one, my plan is this. Snake the charger's cord through the console to the head unit, take the charger apart and directly wire for power as well as use the audio jack.

Here are my questions:

Is it possible to snake the charger's cord through the back of the console to get to the head unit? My P is at home and I don't remember what it looks like back there.

Any place I can tap into for power behind the console? Can I tap into one of the pins for the changer from the head unit or do I need to go to the fuse box?

Any suggestions for an iPod holder that I can attach to the mount? I think I'm going to order a black skin for the iPod so that it doesn't stand out so much in my black interior.

PS. I contacted the makers of ice-link (http://icelink.densionusa.com) and they said they are working on a version for the pre-fibre optic Becker head units. Since I have no steering wheel controls and the iPod would be pretty much next to the head unit, an ice-link may be pointless.
Old 11-17-2003, 05:12 PM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

I have the non-smoker kit, and the ipod fits perfectly in it...alternatively, I have seen people who have bought the porsche cubby and put it in there...I'm sure you can make some kind of divider to stop it from sliding around...
Old 11-17-2003, 05:19 PM
sennasixty8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Mounting an Ipod

I know someone who has it in his cupholder, using the FM modulator from Belkin, it sounds pretty good BTW!
Old 11-17-2003, 05:24 PM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

The FM modulator is good, but if you travel alot you may get some interference, as there are only 2 stations you can use...
If your buddy is in the car behind/ next to you, he can tune in too!
Old 11-17-2003, 06:50 PM
chinhster
6th Gear

I know someone who has it in his cupholder, using the FM modulator from Belkin, it sounds pretty good BTW!
What would be funny is if someone built a cupholder mount for the ipod so that as the cupholder comes out, the iPod would also flip up!

Anyway, I don't have a cubby hole... I have the pretty useless CD trays. Doesn't matter since I still want easy access to the iPod to navigate so I'll go with the ProClip to mount it... I'm just trying to figure out the best way of wiring it.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:22 PM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

I keep it in the non-smoker tray for the same reason...I can easily forward to the next song...more than that I wouldn't want to do, not while driving anyway...
Old 11-17-2003, 07:26 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 819 Likes on 265 Posts

This is what Senna is talking about. I have the iPod and FM Transmitter(Behind the iPod) in my cup holder and it slides out for perfect viewing and control. If I have a passanger that wants to control the iPod I just tilt it towards the passenger side.
Attached Images  
Old 11-17-2003, 07:55 PM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

ahh...you have the new cupholders...I have the older crappy ones...that pop out individually...

not even sure it would fit in these...and if it, it would block the vent...
Old 11-17-2003, 08:03 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

That's a bummer...
Old 11-18-2003, 11:30 AM
Moogle
Race Car

get the itrip griffintechnologies.com, specially designed for the ipod, looks great too, and get a load of this:

it can use ANY FM frequency
Old 11-18-2003, 12:58 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

The guy at the Apple store told me that a new Monster Cable iPod car charger and FM Transmitter in one should be out before xmas. He said that was the best one he's seen and heard so far. He saw it at an Apple show or Electronics convention...I forget.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:02 PM
chinhster
6th Gear

I ordered the ProClip and iPod mount. I'll post pictures after I get the stuff and installed.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:17 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Just one comment: I don't have the stock CD player. I have fitted a
kenwood system. When I fitted my iPod to the aux input to the
deck, I noticed that the output from the iPod overpowers the pre-amp
in the deck. I had to turn the iPod down to almost zero before the distortion stopped. In the end I played about with some resistors and now got it working fine. May be different with the Stock Porsche CDR220.

Also, before I wired it direct, I tried a LinkPlus Wireless Audio adaptor. It worked fine for me but wiring was cluttered and I wanted a neater approach.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:17 PM
chinhster
6th Gear

I installed my iPod. You can see it at

http://www.ipodlounge.com/forums/sho...threadid=16482
Old 11-28-2003, 11:22 PM
chinhster
6th Gear

And to answer my own questions:

Is it possible to snake the charger's cord through the back of the console to get to the head unit?
Yes, it's quite easy actually.

Any place I can tap into for power behind the console? Can I tap into one of the pins for the changer from the head unit or do I need to go to the fuse box?
I tapped into the switched line going into the head unit. Look on top of the head unit for a pin diagram.

Any suggestions for an iPod holder that I can attach to the mount? I think I'm going to order a black skin for the iPod so that it doesn't stand out so much in my black interior.
The ProClip iPod holder and ProClip mount work great.

Quick Reply: Mounting an iPod