Sponsored by:

Clicking / Clunking Noise in Manual Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 10:26 PM
PCAR996C2
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Clicking / Clunking Noise in Manual Shifter

My 1998 996 has a clicking/clunking in the manual shifter. It is more prevalent under aggressive positive shifts. It seems to be at the end of the shift throw in either direction. The shifter was quite old so I replaced it with a brand new 997 unit and its still making the exact noise. Could it be the cables or what else would you suggest?
Old 09-04-2017, 09:48 PM
PCAR996C2
Advanced

Question

Originally Posted by PCAR996C2
My 1998 996 has a clicking/clunking in the manual shifter. It is more prevalent under aggressive positive shifts. It seems to be at the end of the shift throw in either direction. The shifter was quite old so I replaced it with a brand new 997 unit and its still making the exact noise. Could it be the cable ends or what else would you suggest?
Any ideas?
Old 09-04-2017, 11:15 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

Few things:

Did you replace the cable holders? I.e. from the shifter to the cables.

Are the cables clipped into the shifter properly and secured with both copper coloured clips?

Have to checked the cable/shifter with the green alignment tool?
Old 09-04-2017, 11:19 PM
PCAR996C2
Advanced

The 997 shifter came with new cable holders. The threaded ends of the cable slide into this. The cables already had marks on them so alignment was easy. I'm wondering if the threaded ends of the cables are a separate piece from the cable perhaps they are moving when under load causing the click sound. Its quite annoying and takes away from the enjoyment of shifting. I will have to take the console off again and have a really good listen when the car is off.

Could also be coming from the copper clips area.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:27 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by PCAR996C2
The 997 shifter came with new cable holders. The threaded ends of the cable slide into this. The cables already had marks on them so alignment was easy. I'm wondering if the threaded ends of the cables are a separate piece from the cable perhaps they are moving when under load causing the click sound. Its quite annoying and takes away from the enjoyment of shifting. I will have to take the console off again and have a really good listen when the car is off.

Could also be coming from the copper clips area.
Even if the cables were marked i'd get your hands on the tool to check the alignment.

That's the first place i'd start
Old 09-04-2017, 11:29 PM
PCAR996C2
Advanced

The new 997 shifter came with the tool so I'll give that a go. Getting quite fast at taking it all apart now.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:30 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Keep us posted
Old 09-04-2017, 11:54 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Dumb question, but could it be coming from the shifter boot? When I bought my car the whole boot would move back and forth a few mm on shifts and click against the console. Some foam rubber bits carefully placed around where the boot's mounting pegs go into holes in the console tightened it up and fixed the noise.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:58 PM
PCAR996C2
Advanced

I remember trying the shifter with the boot off and the noise was still there.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:28 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by dkraige
Dumb question, but could it be coming from the shifter boot? When I bought my car the whole boot would move back and forth a few mm on shifts and click against the console. Some foam rubber bits carefully placed around where the boot's mounting pegs go into holes in the console tightened it up and fixed the noise.
Rather than doing that the plastic trim under the shifter is a replaceable part.

I doubt it would be the source of the noise though
Old 09-05-2017, 10:06 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

Your new shifter rules out several of the ideas I had when I first read your post.

One thing to check is that the plastic collar of the shift cables are firmly "clicked in" to the shifter base by pressing down firmly until you feel and hear an audible click. They can sit in there without being clicked in and look fine.

Another thing I was wondering about is whether there is a white plastic/teflon tophat shaped bushing on the left hand side coupler (the one held on with a black pin, not the one that fits on the ball/socket. If that bushing were gone, you'd get some minor slop and maybe a click.

A third thing that came to mind: is the right hand coupler with the ball/socket tight? I could see how a worn out socket could cause slop and maybe noise.

Good luck!
Old 09-05-2017, 02:59 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Since you only hear it at the end of the shift throws, the sound is more likely originating from the transmission end. The transmission terminates the movement of the shifting mechanism - the lever has nothing to do with that, as it just flops around when not connected to the cables, so your best bet is to have someone shift the lever while you check under the car.

Also, a quick video of the noise would help further diagnose it.

Comprehensive Shifting Solutions for your Porsche.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:27 PM
Gbug
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll be curious to see if there is a resolution to this, as I believe I have the exact same issue as the OP. I also get a distinct clicking noise at the end of the shifter throw, albeit only in gears 2/4/6, that is quite annoying. I've had the console off several times, replaced the shifter with a 997 GT3 unit as I hated the original short shift kit, cables are adequately secured, used the alignment tool, but still the issue remains
Old 09-09-2017, 02:12 AM
PCAR996C2
Advanced

Ok thanks for all the tips. Took console off again (only takes me 10 minutes now!) and got up nice and close when moving the lever. The clicking is actually happening as I shift and I’m 90% certain it is coming from the end of the cable, the threaded male part that goes into the female threaded part on the leaver. The cable is non magnetic so probably stainless steel but the black threaded part appears to be plastic. So my guess is it could either be the plastic end moving in the cable or the plastic threaded parts are popping back and forward a thread?

Does anyone have a parts drawing on how the cable is made? The issue is with the main black shift cable not the other.

As an aside I used the green alignment tool and the blue cable was out by maybe 5mm. The gears are now easier to shift and the clicking happens less as a result.

To confirm it wasn’t coming from the new 997 shifter in took the cables out and yanked hard back and forward on the female threaded holders and couldn’t get and clicking to happen.

Quick Reply: Clicking / Clunking Noise in Manual Shifter