Sponsored by:

Rennline 4" shift riser

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 04:34 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rennline 4" shift riser

I've removed the center console of my car and relocated the window switches up to the dash now... that said - I have also installed the Numeric Racing shifter. I want to put it up on the Rennline 4" riser now. My understanding was that I would need to raise the e-brake handle - so I did that with the Function First 2" risers.

My question before just jumping into this is with the cables - the 4" riser angles back - which should eliminate some of the tension of the cables...

Anyone done this before and was there enough adjustability in the cables to do this?
Old 04-17-2017, 05:59 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Well, I answered my own question. It looks like the emergency brake handle is going to interfere a little bit, however there's and backward adjustment opportunity in the riser mount it self. I don't think it's going to be much of an issue, but it certainly does not appear That there will be any issue with the cable.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:31 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 117 Posts

Easiest answer is to remove the ebrake and rear shoes. Less unsprung weight and makes it a real race car. Although there are definitely times I've gone "now why did I do that again?"
Old 04-18-2017, 10:07 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

There was enough adjustability in the riser to clear the handle. Regardless - I imagine that the e-brake will go away when this thing becomes a spec car.... I love the new height.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:10 AM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 121 Posts

I'm trying to decide if I want the numeric or the cae shifter. Any particular reason you went with the numeric?
Old 04-18-2017, 11:34 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

I didn't know about the CAE before buying the Numeric. My friend has the CAE shifter installed in his track car... he likes it but I think I recall him saying that he thought the Numeric might be a better choice.

I like the look and height of the CAE as well - but I also already had the NR.... the height of the CAE is why I added the Rennline 4"
Old 04-19-2017, 08:37 PM
crmcgregor
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Chip
I didn't know about the CAE before buying the Numeric. My friend has the CAE shifter installed in his track car... he likes it but I think I recall him saying that he thought the Numeric might be a better choice.

I like the look and height of the CAE as well - but I also already had the NR.... the height of the CAE is why I added the Rennline 4"
The Numeric pretty epic? Did you go straight from stock to that or have any other shifter (997/GT3) before going Numeric? Time over asked question of if it is worth double price... Sure looks amazing
Old 04-19-2017, 08:40 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Numeric is worth every penny on the track but not on the street IMHO.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:57 PM
crmcgregor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Slakker
Numeric is worth every penny on the track but not on the street IMHO.
What feel does it have? I don't track but enjoy an aggressive driving feel on the street... I also have no experience with the GT3 shifter and was initially going to just do that one.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:07 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Precise and notchy. GT3 is a nice shifter as well. If price conscious, there's a Boxster guy that makes shifters that are supposed to be really good and cheap as well.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:21 PM
crmcgregor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Slakker
Precise and notchy. GT3 is a nice shifter as well. If price conscious, there's a Boxster guy that makes shifters that are supposed to be really good and cheap as well.
Interesting. I don't mind precise feel, but don't want something too harsh. I appreciate the info, I think the GT3 shifter will probably do the trick
Old 04-20-2017, 03:32 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

I have used the stock 997, the B&M short, the Numeric short, and the OEM SSK as well as messing around with the CAE.

Stock 997: It's actually okay for what it is.
B&M: Surprisingly sloppy in my 996 for my tastes. When I upgraded the motor and trans mount it made a HUGE difference - but the shifter was still sloppy.
Numeric: I have had it in my 997 for probably 15K miles (mostly track). I used mid-throw settings on it. It was PERFECT and worth every penny on the street as well as the track. It's precise - but not too harsh. I now have it in my dedicated track car - the 996 at the shortest throw possible - its very precise and bolt-action feeling. I will try it at Sebring in a couple of weeks.
The OEM SSK: Very similar to the B&M - shorter throws but nothing like the Numeric.
CAE: Precise, hard, notchy, and intollerant - I would say it came across as a bit harsher than the Numeric set on its shortest throw.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:00 PM
crmcgregor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Blue Chip
I have used the stock 997, the B&M short, the Numeric short, and the OEM SSK as well as messing around with the CAE.

Stock 997: It's actually okay for what it is.
B&M: Surprisingly sloppy in my 996 for my tastes. When I upgraded the motor and trans mount it made a HUGE difference - but the shifter was still sloppy.
Numeric: I have had it in my 997 for probably 15K miles (mostly track). I used mid-throw settings on it. It was PERFECT and worth every penny on the street as well as the track. It's precise - but not too harsh. I now have it in my dedicated track car - the 996 at the shortest throw possible - its very precise and bolt-action feeling. I will try it at Sebring in a couple of weeks.
The OEM SSK: Very similar to the B&M - shorter throws but nothing like the Numeric.
CAE: Precise, hard, notchy, and intolerant - I would say it came across as a bit harsher than the Numeric set on its shortest throw.
This is awesome! I did not realize the Numeric is adjustable, that is pretty great. If that is the case, the mid setting sounds appealing if it was that good... Thank you so much for the information, super helpful. I don't mind paying especially when it is worth it!
Old 04-24-2017, 12:13 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Blue chip has tried my CAE shifter, he is absolutely correct about the feedback. If I would be racing I would go for a Numeric. Faster shifts.
CAE is beautiful and cool with an amazingly short throw. Hard to adjust.

Quick Reply: Rennline 4" shift riser