Happy Easter All_Opinion Requested from C4S owners especially

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 02:04 PM
eddy_911
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Happy Easter All_Opinion Requested from C4S owners especially

First off, Happy Easter to All!

I am not yet a 911 996 owner but hopefully soon.

I have been reading around the forums and can not believe how much valuable resources are in here.

I am currently debating whether to move forward with a 2002 911 C4S.

It has ~ 50k miles and firm price at $29k (before taxes and others). I checked the car out and it is in good condition. I may be taking for a PPI soon but wanted to see if you guys think in terms of pricing.

The car is sold by a Porsche dealer and they claim that the IMS bearing was repaired and they inspected before taking the trade in (I am not sure if this can be inspected without quite a bit of work).

With that said, I know this is probably at the high end of the pricing.
Nada shows $28k while KBB shows high end of $25k.

This dealer is relatively close to me and I don't have too much time to fly to other states to drive back the car.

I also checked the 2017 996 pricing thread but didn't see too many c4s sold.

Do you guys think the dealer is not telling the truth saying that they inspected the IMS and that they know its a ceramic bearing.

Is the price way too high or still acceptable based on what you have seen sold in the past.

Thanks for reading and looking to hear from you all.

Thanks in advance.

Eddy
Old 04-16-2017, 02:15 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 545 Posts

Have you checked Autotrader or CarGurus for price comps?
Checked the service history of the car?
Do we think dealer is being truthful...let me check my crystal ball!
Old 04-16-2017, 02:26 PM
eddy_911
Advanced

hm, the price is within the asking price for many of similar condition vehicles (at least in cars.com) but I have no clue if the transactions were executed at these prices.

I think that is a good starting point for me to see where my price stands.

Also, sounds like I should budget $5k or so to replace the IMS bearing if I do purchase it.

Thanks for your input 808Bill.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:18 PM
Gbug
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you post a link to the ad, or list the option codes? Hard to give you feedback without either of those. Unless the dealer has paperwork showing the IMSB was "repaired," their word is worth nothing. The fact that they say is was inspected is laughable, as that is an engine-out task. Clutch/RMS/IMSB should run you $3k, not $5k.

That said, IMO, $29k for a C4S in great condition with 50k miles is about middle of the road pricing. Not bad, not great. Keep in mind there is a value to buying a local car that you can see and inspect personally.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:22 PM
eddy_911
Advanced

Thanks Gbug,

The link is below. It seems the only issues that I was able to spot are couple dings and small paint chips. The moon roof switch is also loose but hoping the PPI will spot other issues.

http://www.porschemonmouth.com/detai...-16171130.html

On another note, I noticed that when the car first started up, there is a slight valve noise but goes away after 30 second or so. The dealer said that the car sat for so long and that is why that made the noise.
I also searched for this issue and it seems the info that I found is in line with what the dealer mentioned.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:55 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 545 Posts

Very nice car. Don't focus on cosmetics, rather more on mechanical. Good luck! Should it pass PPI and you pursue it, make the dealer fix the loose switch. It concerns me when they offer something for sale leaving a switch loose like that...
Old 04-16-2017, 05:29 PM
Turbojamie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Guys get pretty wound up about these cars buying them. Keep in mind your buying a sub 30,000 used car. Be honest with your expectations. If you were buying a used 30k SUV what would you overlook etc... no used car is ever perfect they all have little things here and there heck even some brand new ones do.

Most dealers will give you a 30 day warranty of some sort at least here in Ontario if there reputable. If it were me I would buy the car if it checks out after a test drive. Then proceed to drive the wheels off it for the warranty period to see if anything pops up. Plan an oil change after 15 days of heavy use and see what that tells you.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:51 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 656 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbug
Can you post a link to the ad, or list the option codes? Hard to give you feedback without either of those. Unless the dealer has paperwork showing the IMSB was "repaired," their word is worth nothing. The fact that they say is was inspected is laughable, as that is an engine-out task. Clutch/RMS/IMSB should run you $3k, not $5k.

That said, IMO, $29k for a C4S in great condition with 50k miles is about middle of the road pricing. Not bad, not great. Keep in mind there is a value to buying a local car that you can see and inspect personally.
Originally Posted by eddy_911
Thanks Gbug,

The link is below. It seems the only issues that I was able to spot are couple dings and small paint chips. The moon roof switch is also loose but hoping the PPI will spot other issues.

http://www.porschemonmouth.com/detai...-16171130.html

On another note, I noticed that when the car first started up, there is a slight valve noise but goes away after 30 second or so. The dealer said that the car sat for so long and that is why that made the noise.
I also searched for this issue and it seems the info that I found is in line with what the dealer mentioned.

I sent a note to my friends at Porsche Monmouth asking them to provide evidence/documentation about the IMS replacement, so let's see what happens.

I have had great experiences with that dealership.

Good luck!
Old 04-16-2017, 07:10 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 797 Likes on 510 Posts

eddy: Interesting that it looks like a C4S but the listing shows as "rear wheel drive". Wonder if someone has converted it to 2 wheel drive or just listing mistake? I haven't run the VIN. IMS done? Paperwork proof or it didn't happen. If paperwork shows done also of interest is how long ago. There have been reports of change IMS and dump because of junk in oil. You do not want one of those! Inspection requires pulling the transmission doubt if dealer did that. PPI necessary somewhere reliable. Use findings for negotiating price down if not a disqualifying defect. It is spring so price expected to be near top of range. I love my C4S, hope this works out for you they are nice cars.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:43 PM
eddy_911
Advanced

Default Thanks

You guys rock.

can I ask them to check if It's all wheel drive during the ppi?

i am guessing that is a listing mistake.

thanks again all!
Old 04-16-2017, 09:54 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 797 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by eddy_911
You guys rock.

can I ask them to check if It's all wheel drive during the ppi?

i am guessing that is a listing mistake.

thanks again all!
yep? Just make sure it still has the front diff, all the related shafts and drive disk. It's not horrible if removed just not all wheel drive anymore. Only 5% go to front wheels until "pushed" hard. In addition, not terribly useful in snow either. It is more for cornering ability on a track. Some people like the weight reduction and handling changes and still have the better looking wide body.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:44 AM
eddy_911
Advanced

Thanks so much for your help.

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
I sent a note to my friends at Porsche Monmouth asking them to provide evidence/documentation about the IMS replacement, so let's see what happens.

I have had great experiences with that dealership.

Good luck!
Old 04-17-2017, 10:39 AM
91One
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what I posted in the pricing thread. I'd say the asking price for this car is average to highish. Looks nice though.

------------------------------
Model: Carrera 4s
Model Year: 2005
Color: Seal Grey
Interior Color: Graphite Grey
Milage: 42,000 miles
Transmission: 6 speed
Notable Options: Sport Techno wheels, supple leather, memory & heated seats, PSM (standard on C4S), Bose sound package, litronic headlights, twin exhaust tips
Notable Upgrades: not much really... aftermarket Kenwood double DIN stereo with nav & Blutooth

Service History/Manuals (Complete, Partial, None): Partial, through service center
Condition of vehicle: pristine!
PPI: none
Recommended maintenance: 3 months after purchase: IMSB, RMS, clutch, flywheel
IMS Bearing Status: replaced

Asking Price: $31,500 USD
Purchase Price: $30,000 USD
Purchase Date: August 2016
Where Purchased: Ontario
Private Party or Dealer: Dealer

General Notes:
This is a car that was imported from the US (Florida) to Canada. I don't have the service history prior to the car being imported in 2010-2011.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:56 PM
911Syncro
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

You do want the perfect 911, right?

Only a couple of comments. I got my C4S about 2 months ago, $25k but with higher miles and in SoCal and there are plenty of 996s to choose from so I believe the prices may be lower around here. Certainly agree with those who questioned the dealer's claim about the IMSB inspected. Only way to do that is via paperwork or some past records. But there must be something to the story, Porsche dealers don't mess around with their reputation. And I think a Porsche dealer would perform some repairs and reconditioning before offering a used car -- so see if they have a list of repairs or touch-up work they did.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:13 PM
91One
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911Syncro
You do want the perfect 911, right?

Only a couple of comments. I got my C4S about 2 months ago, $25k but with higher miles and in SoCal and there are plenty of 996s to choose from so I believe the prices may be lower around here. Certainly agree with those who questioned the dealer's claim about the IMSB inspected. Only way to do that is via paperwork or some past records. But there must be something to the story, Porsche dealers don't mess around with their reputation. And I think a Porsche dealer would perform some repairs and reconditioning before offering a used car -- so see if they have a list of repairs or touch-up work they did.
Slight threadjack... Syncro, would you be able to post the article in the positive 996 articles thread (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-articles.html)? I know it's 15 years old but I'd be interested in reading it. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Happy Easter All_Opinion Requested from C4S owners especially