Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How reliable is your pre 02 996 C2/C4 or 986?
Very reliable. I am very happy with the manufacturing quality.
52.85%
Fairly reliable. No major problems so far.
30.89%
Unreliable. Not very happy.
8.94%
Very Unreliable. I am extremely dissapointed in the manufacturing quality.
4.07%
Extremely unreliable. I had a FORD that was built better.
3.25%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Reliability of your 996/986

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 01:46 PM
Chuck Z
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

You guys have me a little nervous. Just bought a 996 C2 cab with 1,700 miles so I won't be voting. Hope I'm part of the group with few probs. Granted the miles are low on my car but there have been no issues to this point. Fingers crossed.

PS. Hey Gretch, nice to see you're here too!
Old 11-14-2003, 01:48 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wanted to let you all know that I called PUK customer relations again.
I pleaded and begged them to reconsider. Told them that all rennlist are wathing for the outcome. Told them that I am in the market for a new car.
Told them that AMV8 is a choice. Told them how dissapointed I am.

The guy I spoke too was most accomodating and he is going to look into it further for me. Said he would call back tommorow or Monday.

Will keep you posted on the outcome.
Old 11-14-2003, 02:39 PM
ruey220
Addict
Rennlist Member

So far the vote shows that people are still satisfied with their porsche quality. I think the reason some people complain about their porsche is they are the newer owners who were lured into buying the porsche's such as the 996 because Porsche attempted to come into the mainstream market by making their cars look more of a Lexus or Mercedes than in the past. Although I myself am a first time Porsche buyer, I was around former porsche owners who knew it wasn't a lexus or mercedes in terms of reliability. In the ferrari group for example, they say that everytime you start your car its a new experience because you never know what will happen next, i.e. car won start, bad starter, electrical, etc.

with this in mind it comes down to why did we really buy this car. I think majority of porsche guys like to drive fast cars, yet have the luxury, elegance closest to an exotic without paying the full price for one and being able to drive it everyday. I've had a Toyota, BMW, Benz and lexus; all cars that they claim are reliable out of the factory. What people forget is if you are into toying with these cars, like adding mods, etc. they don't last.

I moved into Porsches because I've met many people such as those on the board now, who do things like forced induction, change the motor, etc. drive the car on the track and the car runs for years without any sacrifice of quality. Try doing the things you do to your porsche on a lexus, and see if you can compare them. Add a turbo and 100hp's, lets see if it holds out the squeeks and thumps from rough suspension.

I always like to modify my cars and after 10k-20k miles, the mods are so nervewrecking I sold the car after a year. 3 years have gone by with my porsche having 19 inch wheels, coil over suspension, driving through streets of SF, racing the Auto-X, searspoint, etc. and although the damn check engine light comes on every now and then, I am still very satisfied with it. I'm so convinced it will hold up, forced induction is next.

On a side note, my cousin who went from the BMW group to Ferrari recently told me. He visited a BMW CCA forum he used to post on a few years back and from an ousiders point of view noticed how people talk about their cars on the message board. Visit any message board, and the owners, fans of a particular car will always find a way to prove their possession/desire is superior to another even if it goes as far as to be in their own little world. Then there are the upset ones who somehow bought the wrong car and find problems about them ranting them all day. The lesson learned here is that nothing is perfect and if someone wants to make it look bad, they will, and vice versa.
Old 11-14-2003, 02:43 PM
stratpa
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Scouser:

I am in the US so can't come to the "sit in" but I am wondering whether you think that something more "business like" might be effective. I am thinking maybe we could try to garner as many signatures as we can on a "global petition letter" that would calmly but fimrly request that Porsche extend a helping hand to those customers that have experienced issues but nonetheless remain dedicated partners to a good Porsche relationship. What say you?
Old 11-14-2003, 03:39 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

stratpa......count me in. I am all ears, fingers and keyboard.
The issue I have who to contact. I have asked quite a few times
who to address. My best friend is German and he is willing to
write any letters in German for me but I would not know who
to address to get the best results. One thing I don't want is to be
referred to my local P dealer customer relations officer. I would want
to ensure we get to a responsible exec in Germany who would
look into our concerns.
Old 11-14-2003, 03:54 PM
stratpa
Intermediate

I think that your instinct of Prosce North America being a little more customer focused might be right. I would suggest we start with the President of PNA.

How about we split the load:

- I can do research here as to whom to contact and write a draft letter for us to review
- Can you figure out what the most practical way to get an online petition is? maybe rennlist or another site can facilitate.

Deal?
Old 11-14-2003, 04:10 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Deal.

I'll get started.
Old 11-15-2003, 12:57 PM
Mitch
Instructor

Scouser:

1) Convertible top replaced because wasn't seating correctly. Dealer fixed quickly
2) Clutch replaced at 30k miles
3) Water pump being replaced right now at 44k miles and guys are checking for other things in need of repair under extended warranty.

I'm quite pleased w/ the build quality of my '99 C4 Cab. The 996 is a different animal than previous iterations, and the trade off is refinement and comfort VS tank-like build quality. Still much better daily driver than other exotics/sports cars.

Regards,

Mitch
Old 11-15-2003, 01:36 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Mitch. Sounds like you have a well behaved porker and better still a
good service dealer.
I am interested in your car. Not many of us have moded with
techart airkits. Most 996 owners fit stock kits but I like to be different.
Any chance of some pictures. Also what's the ECU upgrade give you?

Old 11-15-2003, 02:06 PM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

my 996:
more stereo and speaker replacements than i can count
driving light bulbs just keep blowing and blowing and blowing (i don't even bother to replace them any more!)
cigarette lighter/power outlet quit working
major coolant leak
security system/lock/unlock/memory all don't work (it even locked me in the car once!)
gas guage broke
center console door broke

and i know there are a few more things, but i lost track since there's been so many problems! but even with all this i still love my 996. what can i say, they're awesome cars!
Old 11-15-2003, 03:32 PM
ronc4
Advanced

I love my '99 C4 but its been in the shop now for 5 weeks with a blown engine and transmission........
Old 11-15-2003, 03:47 PM
stratpa
Intermediate

Looking at current poll results, the question for me is whether "fairly reliable" is the standard that the paragon of automotive sports engineering should be hitting.
Isn't that like giving "edible food" rating to the top gourmet restaurant in any given country ?
Old 11-15-2003, 04:15 PM
Jeff 25
Advanced

Its always sad to hear about people's misfortune in keeping their vehicles maintained. I only wish that there were a separate forum where all the disgruntled could congregate and share their stories of woe.

Its depressing to see all these negative posts on the main board when it is pretty clear that this is just a small but vocal minority. If Porsches are known for anything, it is being a high cost and high maintenance vehicle. No one can say they didn't get into the marquee with their eyes wide open on this issue. The only thing surprising is that the cars are really a lot more reliable and less expensive to maintain than is generally recognized by the public.

There is a long history, at least in the US, of image conscious people buying cars they can't afford to maintain, and then blaming the car rather than their decision to buy it. I come from a whole generation of young guys with Jag XKEs, BMW 2002s, and Triumph TR-6s sitting in their garages that they couldn't keep running. So this is nothing new.

But I feel bad for Porsche, which is a tiny itty bitty little company fighting for its life in a Great Whites, to be drug down by having their enthusiast boards highjacked by the buyers remorse crowed.

So how about it Viken? put the GT3 guys back with us and make that spot the sad sack forum where all the disgruntled can gather and cry in their beers. It would be most therapeutic for everyone.

P.S. I won't see this board again until Monday, so if there's anyone else out there who agrees its up to you to carry the ball...
Old 11-15-2003, 08:54 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Jeff 25, I am a member of rennlist and as such it gives me as much right
as you to voice my opinions. In fact it gives me more right than you since I am a paying member and it p*sses me off that your using my bandwidth.
If you want a hand in the direction of the Forum then pay your dues.
Old 11-15-2003, 09:22 PM
Arthur
Pro

JimB, when I grow up, I want to be like you. My hero

Quick Reply: Poll: Reliability of your 996/986