C2 coilovers on lightened 4S?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 10:52 AM
orangeman
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default C2 coilovers on lightened 4S?

Hi all,

While I sort out the issues with my ECU, I am on to other projects on my '03 4S.

As many other have noted on their 4Ss, I hate the way my car is dampened. I like a firm, taught ride, but I don't like jarring. I think the car is sprung perfectly, I think the rebound is just fine, but I have no idea what they were thinking with the compression on these oem struts. It might be confirmation bias, but I seem to not be the only one by a long shot that feels this was about the OEM 4S suspension.

I'd like to be able to corner balance the car, and improve ride quality at the same time. There are numerous threads that mention getting both from a decent set of coil overs. I can't right now justify the extra $1,000 on a set of PSS10s vs HR Streets, so I think I will get the streets.

As mentioned, I like how my car is sprung, I don't particularly care to have the rate go up a lot, which I understand it will with any coils.

Here's my question:

In the rear my car has a cup exhaust, no back seats, no subwoofer, and the rear is probably a good 60lbs lighter than stock.

In the front I have no AWD, no spare or tools and a PC950 instead of the stock battery; the front of the car is about 150lbs lighter than stock.

The C2, C4S and Turbo springs are all different (as the should be) due to the varying weight of the different sub-models, but since my car is closer in weight to a stock C2, especially with the AWD delete, rather than a stock 4S, wouldn't I be better off getting the C2 coils for my car? Has anyone else done this?

Appreciate the input. Best,

Kyle

Last edited by orangeman; 04-10-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:41 PM
orangeman
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok, just got off the phone with Sam at EVO Motorsports and he told me that the knuckle on the 4 and 4s are in fact different (mounting point) due to normally having to have to avoid the front drive shaft and that C2 coils on a C4 would probably be bad news bears. Case closed, unless you switched your knuckles too.

Quick Reply: C2 coilovers on lightened 4S?