Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Porsche "approved" tires - how important?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 11:03 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by craigg
By the way, Ferraris (including the ENZO) do NOT use N Spec tires - and I daresay, they can at least stay with most Porsches at speed without fear.
Of course, they don't. A Ferrari is not a Porsche. However, each Ferrari does also come with a specific Ferrari approved tire. The Enzo comes with the Bridgestone "RE-050A Scuderia" which is quite different from the other RE-050's.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:21 PM
longhorn911
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the input everyone. Let me ask a followup question:

Due to an ear injury years ago, I have a slight case of "hyperacusis" which is an increased sensitivity to loud noises. As such, things like road noise affect me more than most. One of the things that had attracted me to the S-03's were their good noise ratings.

My priorities in tires are as follows:

1. Great dry performance (I leave the car in the garage if it's wet)
2. As quiet as possible
3. Comfort

Based on this, what max performance tires would you all recommend?

Thanks
Old 11-13-2003, 03:45 PM
Radar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by longhorn911
Due to an ear injury years ago, I have a slight case of "hyperacusis" which is an increased sensitivity to loud noises. As such, things like road noise affect me more than most. One of the things that had attracted me to the S-03's were their good noise ratings.
I am sorry to hear of your hearing problem. Personally, I don't think there is enough noise difference between the various tires to make such an impact on your problem. However, if you feel that there is, I suggest you change tires more often as they always become substantially louder after 1/3 of the thread is gone. If it were me, I would not want to sacrifice performance for comfort. I may even resort to things like ear plugs if I had to.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Porsche "approved" tires - how important?