996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Which Glue for brake bal pad

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 01:13 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

some owners need to surrender their locking wheel bolt socket to the dealer......others should have their engine compartment welded shut ..........for their safety as well as the general driving public
Old 04-02-2017, 11:06 PM
roadblock
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by extanker
some owners need to surrender their locking wheel bolt socket to the dealer......others should have their engine compartment welded shut ..........for their safety as well as the general driving public
Same to be said for those who think it's impossible to fix your own car - and save $$$
Common sense is involved
Old 04-02-2017, 11:07 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by wyovino
Price a full set on Pelican - over $100 just for the dampers.
They're $15 each from suncoast - same from my local dealer. I have a C4S though, so maybe they're different prices - they look similar though.

Just remembered you use two per wheel. So 'not expensive' was a bit of an exaggeration. If you've dealt with old corroded/rusted ones like I have - it's still a bargain compared to replacing all of the caliper pistons.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:09 PM
roadblock
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by charlieaf92
They're $15 each from suncoast - same from my local dealer. I have a C4S though, so maybe they're different prices - they look similar though.
Easy enough to take off and spend 13 bucks for adhesive - extra $$ goes towards new shifter
Old 04-02-2017, 11:14 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by extanker
Another poster is neglecting his car because his passenger door doesn't unlock. This guy needs to weld his engine compartment shut because he asked a question about brake dampers. You have some serious issues, my friend. You should seek help.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:21 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by charlieaf92

Just remembered you use two per wheel. So 'not expensive' was a bit of an exaggeration. If you've dealt with old corroded/rusted ones like I have - it's still a bargain compared to replacing all of the caliper pistons.
Front dampers are $12 x 4 = $48 (OEM)
Back dampers are $15.25 x 4 = $61 (OEM)
Old 04-03-2017, 11:38 AM
roadblock
Rennlist Member

The dampers are in great shape / not even really needed- but Porsche put them on for a reason- Asai has it down - 600 $ all four corners will be perfect. New fluids, new tires, water pump, coils , plugs, Fister and ceramic coated headers,
New LN thermostat, April Wisconsin ready to go
Old 04-03-2017, 12:18 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by roadblock
The dampers are in great shape / not even really needed- but Porsche put them on for a reason- Asai has it down - 600 $ all four corners will be perfect. New fluids, new tires, water pump, coils , plugs, Fister and ceramic coated headers,
Yeah, looking at the pics yours look fine. Mine fell apart when I took them out - and pieces were stuck in the pistons. It was a mess/headache. I ended up replacing all of the pistons with Racing Brake stainless pistons and, ironically, the dampers don't fit them.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:08 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by roadblock
Absolutely. My speculation is it serves 3 purposes:
- the extra layer between the pad and the piston slows down heat trasnfer to the piston (then to the brake fluid)
- the aluminum slugs act as a heat sink
- the aluminum slugs act as a counterweight to dampen brake pad vibration

Everybody knows that unsprung weight can only hurt handling and you think Porsche will put some dead weight there for no good reason just to hurt handling?
Old 04-03-2017, 03:59 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Their only real benefit is to mitigate brake pad squeal by keeping the brake pad from moving around within the caliper relative to the pistons.

Here's the alternate version of the dampers, which may be cheaper:

Comprehensive Shifting Solutions for your Porsche.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:03 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Function-First
Their only real benefit is to mitigate brake pad squeal by keeping the brake pad from moving around within the caliper relative to the pistons.

Here's the alternate version of the dampers, which may be cheaper:

That is not an alternative version of the front brake dampers. That's the dampers for the rear brakes. I agree with what you said for the rear brakes though.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:12 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
That is not an alternative version of the front brake dampers. That's the dampers for the rear brakes. I agree with what you said for the rear brakes though.
Ah, my bad - thanks for pointing that out!

IMO, for a car that's purely street driven, there's no reason not to use them. If it's track/street, they make pad changes a pain, so I run without them and I've never had any squealing, but YMMV.

If OP is insistent on using them, he should just re-use existing dampers, IMO. That seems like the most cost effective solution. Some copper anti-seize on them should prevent them corroding to the inside bore of the pistons.

Quick Reply: Which Glue for brake bal pad