996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Do Turbo Brakes swap to 996 C2?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 03:14 PM
sennasixty8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Do Turbo Brakes swap to 996 C2?

I have the opportunity to get the brake calipers off a lightly used 2002 Turbo, and I want to know if the brake calipers will simply "SWAP" over to my existing system and brake discs, or should I expect a huge and expensive mess???

Thanks in advance
Old 11-12-2003, 03:39 PM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I remember correctly it has come up before and you can swap if you get the Turbo front hub carriers and wheel bearings.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:43 PM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

the rotors are the same size (380/355mm F/R) and i don't think you need any extra mounting brackets. but i'm no expert on this...
Old 11-12-2003, 09:58 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Carlos is right,......

You need the Turbo front hub carriers and bearings since the Turbo caliper bolt spacing is wider.

Also, Turbo hub carriers are designed for the larger diameter Turbo struts and you'll need those as well.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:24 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 269 Posts

Wow, sounds like more work that expected.

#200 Post!
Old 11-12-2003, 11:56 PM
sennasixty8
Instructor

Unhappy Uh-Oh

Originally posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Carlos is right,......

You need the Turbo front hub carriers and bearings since the Turbo caliper bolt spacing is wider.

Also, Turbo hub carriers are designed for the larger diameter Turbo struts and you'll need those as well.
Interesting point guys....thanks STEVE for the heads up! Ive got the H&R coilovers, would that be a problem too!?!?!?

Old 11-13-2003, 12:28 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Yessir,.....bear in mind that Turbo struts are larger in diameter and only fit the Turbo hub carriers.

If you install the Turbo hub carriers to fit the Turbo brakes, you must use some kind of Turbo struts; Bilstein, H&R, Moton, or whatever,....
Old 11-13-2003, 10:57 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

"Yessir,.....bear in mind that Turbo struts are larger in diameter and only fit the Turbo hub carriers."

unless the PSS9s (for the 996 - not 996TT) or H&R coilovers (for the 996 - not 996TT) are as large as the 996TT struts, that's not true because i have the 996TT brakes on my 996 (2 years ago) and aside from changing the wheel hubs, i made no other modifications besides the above referred coilovers to make it work.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:12 PM
03-C4S
Racer

If anyone is interested, I have a set of Turbo brakes that I am selling with only 3,000 miles.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:06 PM
AdamB
Instructor

how unbalanced would the handling become by adding a set of GT3 front brakes without changing the rear brakes?

Ben did you change both the front and back brakes?
Old 11-13-2003, 03:36 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

yes, i changed front and rear. "unbalanced" is not an issue. however, if i had it to do over again, i'd have just changed the fronts to brembo le mans (lighter than the turbos) and left the rears stock.
Old 11-14-2003, 02:52 PM
ruey220
Addict
Rennlist Member

unless the PSS9s (for the 996 - not 996TT) or H&R coilovers (for the 996 - not 996TT) are as large as the 996TT struts, that's not true because i have the 996TT brakes on my 996 (2 years ago) and aside from changing the wheel hubs, i made no other modifications besides the above referred coilovers to make it work.
Ben, did you go with the TT hubs/carriers or GT3 ones.?

I changed to tt brakes and I used the TT hubs/carriers it was a nightmare. I had to change the whole suspension to TT because i'm using TT carriers which the struts are thicker. Also, if you bought a turnkey kit, it may had a sleeve that allowed the thinner shocks/struts to go into the 996 one.

to whoever is planning to get the hubs/carriers off a TT to put on the 996 DO NOT DO IT! Look for GT3 hubs/carriers and you will be better off.

I had to customize the tension bolt that holds the hubs in because a 996 TT is AWD meaning it has a drive axel there. The regular 996 Tension bolt which holds the hub in will not fit and if you force it will damage the hub, wheel bearing, etc if you force it in. I paid $300 or so per new axle to cut off the drive shaft just to use a bolt that is worth $70. I was so far into the project it was the only way, unless I threw away the hubs/carriers I paid close to $1k for
Old 11-14-2003, 02:57 PM
sennasixty8
Instructor

Exclamation WOW....THANKS

Originally posted by ruey220
Ben, did you go with the TT hubs/carriers or GT3 ones.?

I changed to tt brakes and I used the TT hubs/carriers it was a nightmare. I had to change the whole suspension to TT because i'm using TT carriers which the struts are thicker. Also, if you bought a turnkey kit, it may had a sleeve that allowed the thinner shocks/struts to go into the 996 one.

to whoever is planning to get the hubs/carriers off a TT to put on the 996 DO NOT DO IT! Look for GT3 hubs/carriers and you will be better off.

I had to customize the tension bolt that holds the hubs in because a 996 TT is AWD meaning it has a drive axel there. The regular 996 Tension bolt which holds the hub in will not fit and if you force it will damage the hub, wheel bearing, etc if you force it in. I paid $300 or so per new axle to cut off the drive shaft just to use a bolt that is worth $70. I was so far into the project it was the only way, unless I threw away the hubs/carriers I paid close to $1k for
I now see that this isn't worth doing....unless someone has a "sleeve" and "bolt" that retrofits the application....

I really appreciate all the input everyone!
This make PAINTING the calipers RED a viable choice...since my c2 brakes (black) work GREAT anyway!

Old 11-14-2003, 03:29 PM
ruey220
Addict
Rennlist Member

sennasixty,

oh, if you are looking for the sleeve, I have a guy who may be able to make one for you. Check out www.scargoracing.com and look for rob. He helped me straighten out my mess after another mechanic got me into that hole with the brake upgrade.

He told me had i went to him, he would have been able to make fabrication parts that would have accepted the tt brakes without changing anything. And the good thing is all you need are the brake calipers.
Old 11-14-2003, 03:54 PM
sennasixty8
Instructor

Unhappy hmmmmmm

Originally posted by ruey220
sennasixty,

oh, if you are looking for the sleeve, I have a guy who may be able to make one for you. Check out www.scargoracing.com and look for rob. He helped me straighten out my mess after another mechanic got me into that hole with the brake upgrade.

He told me had i went to him, he would have been able to make fabrication parts that would have accepted the tt brakes without changing anything. And the good thing is all you need are the brake calipers.
Ill call rob....he's up in marin, right?

how much would those "sleeves "cost $ installed...i'm assuming i'd have to re'align the car after the frt end comes apart to install those sleeves!

Quick Reply: Do Turbo Brakes swap to 996 C2?