Sponsored by:

Hardtop - square peg & round hole

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 03:17 PM
neilontrack
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hardtop - square peg & round hole

Installment advice. I have a 2005 996TT with screw-type receivers for the hardtop and now have a 1999 hardtop with bayonet-style mounts. Obviously need to change one side to match the other. Is either way easier to install or less expensive for parts? What benefit was Porsche's change to the screw-type system?

Old 03-29-2017, 04:28 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

Pros to the new mount - less rattles

Cons - more expensive

New catches are $361 each

http://www.porscheatlantaperimeterpa...wd=&origin=pla

changing out the mounts is much cheaper but they are harder to find - they usually run about $300 for the set. Half that on ebay. The hard part is telling if you are getting the old adapters or the new ones

here is a DIY article that has the parts numbers for the old and new mounts

https://www.diyauto.com/manufacturer...a-997-by-wiggy
Old 03-29-2017, 04:56 PM
cwilt

Received 203 Likes on 120 Posts

Great info. Thanks for sharing.

On a side topic... What do you guys use to clean your soft top? I purchased a sealer for mine but what to clean it first.

Thanks
Old 03-30-2017, 02:42 AM
gnochi
Instructor

I use the 303 Convertible Top Cleaning and Care Kit. Admittedly it's only been a bit under a year, but water kept beading instead of soaking in for the duration of our rainy season.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:06 PM
cwilt

Received 203 Likes on 120 Posts

Thanks Gnochi.

I will give this one a try. I tried a different one and I'm not impressed.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:59 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gnochi
I use the 303 Convertible Top Cleaning and Care Kit. Admittedly it's only been a bit under a year, but water kept beading instead of soaking in for the duration of our rainy season.
This is what I use also. The kit has a bottle of the convertible top cleaner and a bottle of the protectant. If you decide that you like the products, you may find that it's cheaper in the long run to buy the products separately; the larger sizes of the protectant are proportionally less expensive than the 16 oz spray bottle in the kit. IIRC, I bought a gallon of the protectant for about 60 bucks. FWIW, the protectant is a general purpose product ... I also use it on the seat cushions of our patio chairs.

I found that I had good results applying the protectant by pouring it into a small tray and brushing it onto the top with a 2" paint brush. I usually give it two coats in the spring and touch it up in the fall if necessary (which it generally is not).
Old 04-03-2017, 11:19 PM
gnochi
Instructor

Originally Posted by KoB
I found that I had good results applying the protectant by pouring it into a small tray and brushing it onto the top with a 2" paint brush. I usually give it two coats in the spring and touch it up in the fall if necessary (which it generally is not).
I'll give this a shot, thank you!

Quick Reply: Hardtop - square peg & round hole