In the market for a 996!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 03:42 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeinBloomfield
I hope it's not boring after ABQ! I've got thousands of miles to go after that! For what's it worth, we're staying on the southern route as long as possible, which means we'll try to get through Memphis and Nashville, then head northeast. Looking forward to some decent barbeque, minimum.
Boychick, once you get near Moriarity, all the way to AR you got 700 miles of high desert. It'll be hot, it'll be windy, it may rain, snow, hail, or a tornado(kinda early though). If you are really hungry, stop in Amarillo for the 72Oz steak challenge. If you eat it all in one sitting it's free. That'll help the colon for the rest of the trip.

After Forth Smith AR, it'll get into rolling hills, and then flatten out across the MS river. After that more gently rolling hills, and some scenery. No speeding at all in VA. If you have CA plates on you'll go directly to jail.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:54 PM
MikeinBloomfield
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
Boychick, once you get near Moriarity, all the way to AR you got 700 miles of high desert. It'll be hot, it'll be windy, it may rain, snow, hail, or a tornado(kinda early though). If you are really hungry, stop in Amarillo for the 72Oz steak challenge. If you eat it all in one sitting it's free. That'll help the colon for the rest of the trip.
That place is already on the itinerary, just cause it looks crazy.

After Forth Smith AR, it'll get into rolling hills, and then flatten out across the MS river. After that more gently rolling hills, and some scenery. No speeding at all in VA. If you have CA plates on you'll go directly to jail.
Yeah, i read about people going to jail for three days for speeding. Well advised. http://jalopnik.com/never-speed-in-v...-in-1613604053
Old 04-20-2017, 04:43 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Yeah, i read about people going to jail for three days for speeding. Well advised. http://jalopnik.com/never-speed-in-v...-in-1613604053
There's fwy construction on I-40 in Amarillo. If you get there near 4pm, suggest you take the 335 loop around to the north. I comes right back on I-40 and the next exit when you get back on stop at Hana truck stop for gas. Almost always the cheapest, even for 91.

After you get back on the fwy, pass the airport and look off to your left. In the distance you'll see some white buildings in the distance. That's the Pantex plant. The worlds storage of the nastiest, most horrible chem, bio, and nuclear agents ever. I used to work there a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away. Hold your breath if the wind is out of the north. Then, OK city is next, good cheap gas at P66. You can visit the memorial to the Murrah building in downtown. The only thing I recall from Fort Smith is the trolley museum. Hard to find, but if you like trains it's pretty cool.

Last edited by docmirror; 04-20-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:09 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

As a Texan, lover of smoked meats and perfect steaks, I say avoid the touristy Texan in Amarillo.

And dont go snooping around Pantex, they are just as sensitive as the highway patrol in VA is about speeding.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:45 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS
As a Texan, lover of smoked meats and perfect steaks, I say avoid the touristy Texan in Amarillo.

And dont go snooping around Pantex, they are just as sensitive as the highway patrol in VA is about speeding.
Guessing you missed the emoticon, and sarcasm about the doom of colon after eating steak. But - ok.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:42 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Guessing you missed the emoticon, and sarcasm about the doom of colon after eating steak. But - ok.
I saw the colon doom. I just wanted to make it clear. As a Texan it pains me to say it but the must have steak on I40 is probably Cattlemans in OKC.

Doc I sincerely hope after I get my 996 we can get together and share some meat and brew at least once. I really like your car but at 16% less I'm going to go a different route. I made airline reservations today for the fly and drive.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:00 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS
I saw the colon doom. I just wanted to make it clear. As a Texan it pains me to say it but the must have steak on I40 is probably Cattlemans in OKC.

Doc I sincerely hope after I get my 996 we can get together and share some meat and brew at least once. I really like your car but at 16% less I'm going to go a different route. I made airline reservations today for the fly and drive.
No worries here. Always my advice - get what makes you happy. I'm not upset. As you can tell, it's not a rush for me to sell mine. Heck, I may put a bearing in and keep it for a while. Really, it's too nice and rare a car to give away.

We have a GTG every first of month Sat morning for the 928 group. They always have a mix of cars including 924, 944, 968, 914, 996, 991, 993, etc. Would love to see your new ride sometime. It's at the 183 and Central ave area at one of the cafes. We take over the whole back room, usually 8-15 cars there and a good group. C'mon down and we'll have a cuppa. Roger is the unoff host, and you'll want to get to know him well for his great prices on parts.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:35 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

Aero kits look sooo cool. Congrats on the purchase!
Old 04-22-2017, 03:28 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Virginia cops SUCK! Lived there for 14 years and had a target on my 300srt, I had to sell it because one trooper pulled me over every time he saw me on my way to work for no good reason. Well actually, I beat the three tickets he first gave me in court and he did not like that.
He'd point out & pick every mod on my car apart including the chromed turn signal bulbs in my headlight housings, LED tails, exhaust, SRT across the windshield.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:51 PM
MikeinBloomfield
Burning Brakes

Hey all --

Just an update: bought the car Friday the 29th and got home last Wednesday at midnight. Car was represented accurately, ran wonderfully for 3,000 miles (at some inadvisable speeds) and is now in its new home with fresh oil and filter. When I emerge from vacation catchup at work I'll post some pics from the epic trip.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:44 PM
gnarbowski
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey all --

Just an update: bought the car Friday the 29th and got home last Wednesday at midnight. Car was represented accurately, ran wonderfully for 3,000 miles (at some inadvisable speeds) and is now in its new home with fresh oil and filter. When I emerge from vacation catchup at work I'll post some pics from the epic trip.
Happy to hear you had better luck than me!
Old 05-08-2017, 06:21 PM
MikeinBloomfield
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gnarbowski
Happy to hear you had better luck than me!
Yeah man, I read that thread before I left. What a bummer! And as much fun as we had, I did spend spend some time wondering if the CEL was going to go on, or I was going to hear something bad on a cold start.

Quick Reply: In the market for a 996!