Sponsored by:

Car died on Mass Pike - Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 08:03 AM
speedyB
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car died on Mass Pike - Advice?

Driving to a memorial service Saturday, the engine on my MY00 996 C2 cut out -- completely off. We coasted to the side of I-90 in western Mass, halfway between the New York border and a dealer in W. Springfield (Fathers and Sons). The oil level light was making a funky rolling display that wasn't described in the manual.

The flatbed driver got us to a rental place (we ended up only 10 minutes late to our destination), and the car to Bob Doneen's in Lee. Bob just did a rebuild on a 911E, obviously a different generation of car. Apparently a good reptation. He's got ISO software up to 2001, but is getting ready to head out on a vacation this week.

So I'm wondering:

How far will he get with diagnosis and treatment of my baby? The computer has a lot to do with what is going on, I think.

Should I get ready to have it flatbedded back to a dealer and let them deal with it? I bought the car certified pre-owned with warranty back in July; it's been a dream for nearly 3,000 miles; it recently had a 20,000 mile service done at a dealer, but there were at least 100 miles on the car since that interval.

Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated. I want my baby back!

-- Bill
Old 11-11-2003, 10:01 AM
BigHeadDennis
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bill, doesn't the extended warranty cover a free tow back to a dealership? And if it's under warranty, why wouldn't you want a dealer to diagnose and fix?

vty,

--Dennis
Old 11-11-2003, 02:51 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

100 miles, ONLY....

Get thee back to THAT dealer!
Old 11-11-2003, 03:09 PM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the rolling oil display you're talking about sounds like the countdown to when the electronic oil level sensor will tell you your oil level. there was probably a countdown timer next to it, right?

i would take the car to a dealer and have it fixed under warranty. the towing should be free too.
Old 11-11-2003, 03:57 PM
speedyB
Intermediate

It was imperative that we make the memorial service.

So far, the car is simply sitting in a safe place.

I'll arrange for the flatbed to a dealer. What was I thinking? I plead temporary insanity!

Thanks, all.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:41 PM
Alfie
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

Porsche Roadside Assistance is included with the certified warranty. However, they will only tow to the nearest dealership at no cost. The selling dealer should be able to pick up the tab back to them. Rental costs are also covered.

Quick Reply: Car died on Mass Pike - Advice?