Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Copper anti-seize on back of break pads?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 01:57 AM
James McGrath
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Copper anti-seize on back of break pads?

Hey folks,

I'm in the middle of replacing my brake pads and rotors... I put copper anti-seize on the rear of my brake pads before putting them back into the calipers. It's the side of the brake pad that goes against the caliper pistons.

Is this ok or should I not use copper anti-seize there? Should I take the caliper off and clean it off?? Will it damage my caliper?

I saw this applied on a YouTube how-to video but looking back it was for a Ford Mustang.

Thoughts? THANK YOU!!
Old 03-13-2017, 02:14 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

No antiseize on the back of the pads. You can apply a thin coat on the guide pin. There should be an anti vibration damper that uses adhesive to stick to the back of the pads.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:26 AM
James McGrath
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
No antiseize on the back of the pads. You can apply a thin coat on the guide pin. There should be an anti vibration damper that uses adhesive to stick to the back of the pads.
Do you think the antiseize will damage the caliper or the caliper pistons? Should I remove it?
Old 03-13-2017, 02:46 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by James McGrath
Do you think the antiseize will damage the caliper or the caliper pistons? Should I remove it?
Not sure what's the long term effect on the rubber dust boots. Usually rubber friendly silicone brake grease is used on brake components.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:28 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts

It should be fine. Ahsai is right, it's not necessary but I don't think you have to worry about any damage.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:50 AM
spruden
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The factory service manual is clear on the 996. Nothing recommended except for the "spiders" using adhesive on the back of the pads.

Other 911s (like the 993) do have copper grease recommended by the factory on the vertical edges of the pads only (where they slide into the calipers). Never on the rear of the pad.

Quick Reply: Copper anti-seize on back of break pads?