996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Weeping AOS line?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 05:53 AM
Quasio
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Dan great info! I've got a weep/leak near the breather connector and the hose near the AC compressor, above number 4 cylinder.

I can hardly even get my hand to that side of the connector.
In your step 4. Un-do 2 10mm bolts on the bank 4-6 side.
Which bolts are these?

Did you have to move the cables/hoses on the right side to get the pipe through? or just stuck your hand in between and did your best.

I see refridge lines/coolant pipes/other wiring all blocking access to getting that connector and hose out.

Looking at part numbers, for some reason my connector has a breather on it and the hose is a smooth hose mostly non-corrugated, but according to the catalogue, these are for m96.02 cars. although i believe i have M96.03 engine. (2002 3.6L engine)
So i'm a little confused on which parts to get as well.

The part numbers i seem to currently have are:
99610704751 - 4 breather hose
99610714755 - breather connector

Also do these come with o rings as well? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:19 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Quasio
Hi Dan great info! I've got a weep/leak near the breather connector and the hose near the AC compressor, above number 4 cylinder.

Which bolts are these?

Did you have to move the cables/hoses on the right side to get the pipe through? or just stuck your hand in between and did your best.

I see refridge lines/coolant pipes/other wiring all blocking access to getting that connector and hose out.

Looking at part numbers, for some reason my connector has a breather on it and the hose is a smooth hose mostly non-corrugated, but according to the catalogue, these are for m96.02 cars. although i believe i have M96.03 engine. (2002 3.6L engine)

Hey Quasio! Assuming you're on PFA with the same username!

Anyway, to answer question one:

Yes referring to the two 10mm bolts that are holding the hose onto bank 4-6. I didn't move anything out of the way I undid the bolts and there was a bit of room to get it out.

You only need to order the hose itself it comes with everything you need, o-rings etc. the breather connector comes attached to it.

Best advice would be to give your VIN to the dealership when ordering the part to make sure you get the right one. It's probably the same one i've included in this thread. Its corrugated all the way.

I've also included the correct cable tie to attach the hose to the resonator pipe as well.

If you need any more help drop me a PM or reply here ill get back to you.

I don't remember if you're in Melbourne but if you need a hand I trade in the beer economy.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:36 AM
Quasio
AutoX

yep same guy from pfa, thought i'd reply here to give more info to others. Yeah I moved recently from melb to perth, would definitely been good for a meetup, lots of track days etc i'd love to have gone too, not much in perth.

Interesting that the connector comes with the hose, i'll give the dealer a call, but pretty much their prices i don't even bother calling these days at least i can get the right part number.

So the hose you replaced it with - full corrugated, is the same as your original? mine is smooth on the cylinder side, (maybe that's why it's leaking) but i'll check with them.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:56 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Had an awesome morning with the PFA on sunday actually!

I get most of my parts from the dealership but I do shop around, they are usually pretty competitively priced. Don't quote me but I think the hose was only around $65 and yep came with every thing I needed except the cable tie!

Yes I removed one that was corrugated and replaced it with one that was also corrugated although the middle had a smooth section.

I've seen images of engines with non corrugated hoses I think thats an older style hose, mines an '04.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:58 AM
Quasio
AutoX

ok wierdly, my version of the connector has a little breather, has only 1xM10 bolt. on my engine there is no place to put 2 bolts. just the 1 at the back.

Gets wierder, i checked out my engine number to ensure it's a M96.03, and it says it is..

There's also a line that goes right to the top of that bolt. so it will be interesting to move that without breaking anything.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:42 AM
dan_189
Race Car

ok wierdly, my version of the connector has a little breather, has only 1xM10 bolt. on my engine there is no place to put 2 bolts. just the 1 at the back.

Gets wierder, i checked out my engine number to ensure it's a M96.03, and it says it is..

There's also a line that goes right to the top of that bolt. so it will be interesting to move that without breaking anything.
That is weird, haven't seen just one bolt holding the hose onto the 4-6 bank.

Others on here may have though.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:57 AM
Quasio
AutoX

yeh looking at a few 2002 3.6 engines for sale, looks like the same pipe. non corrugated.

now.. another question is whether it's easy to thread the non-corrugated version through the plenums, or if their interchangable but just skip the extra bolt.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:31 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

There's a breather on '02 model and no breather on '03+ models.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:08 PM
Quasio
AutoX

Originally Posted by Ahsai
There's a breather on '02 model and no breather on '03+ models.
Hi Ahsai, thanks for that!, are they interchangeable? i.e. can i use the non-breather model on an 02?
(just to ensure it doesn't leak anymore)
and also seems easier to fit than the current pipe.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:43 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Hi Ahsai, thanks for that!, are they interchangeable? i.e. can i use the non-breather model on an 02?
(just to ensure it doesn't leak anymore)
and also seems easier to fit than the current pipe.
What does the breather attach to? Or is it just part of the hose?
Old 09-21-2017, 09:49 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by dan_189
What does the breather attach to? Or is it just part of the hose?
The breather plugs onto the bank2 head. The AOS hose plugs onto the breather.
Old 03-07-2024, 07:26 PM
Adam-Rad
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The aos vent elbow with the breather is not interchangeable with the other

Which bolts are these?

The vent elbow with the breather fits a smaller diameter #4 pipe so they are not interchangeable. See pic for engine number cut over.

Last edited by Adam-Rad; 03-07-2024 at 07:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Weeping AOS line?