996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

First Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 12:41 PM
steve578
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought the car with a squeaky belt or pulley so it was on my to do list. When I replaced the motor mounts, I spun and listened to the pulleys, but wasn't able to determine which one might be bad. I figured I would replace the two idler pulleys, tensioner pulley, and the belt since the car is 13 years old and has over 80,000 miles.

I received them yesterday and decided to install everything after work. I started by removing the airbox. I guess had my 996 right of passage because the oil filler tube decided to become two pieces as it was being unclipped from the airbox. I stuffed a rag in the remaining piece of the tube so that I could continue the pulley and belt replacement without fear of dropping something into the engine.

I was able to replace the upper & lower idler pulleys without issue. I had a hell of a time getting the new belt on though. It seemed just a tad too short, but was finally able to wrangle it on. The tensioner pulley was pretty much touching the lower idler pulley and I still had to use a screw driver to coax the belt on. I wasn't really excited about using the screw driver on the new belt, but was able to get it on.

After all that fun, the light squeak at idle is still there. I guess I need to do some more listening to see if it is coming from the water pump or alternator.

I used duct tape to temporarily fix the oil filler tube until I can install a new one. I ordered the filler tube, o-ring, and the connector tube for the hose to oil separator. I've seen many stories of it breaking when removing the alternator as it becomes brittle after the years. I will be prepared to replace it.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:12 PM
KC-CarGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 71 Posts

Congtats. You will have a lot of fun in it.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:35 AM
91One
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fantastic looking car Steve. Looks like you will be taking good care of it. Have fun!

Quick Reply: First Porsche