Sponsored by:

How much to paint this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 02:22 PM
HawkFan#12
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
4.5hrs to repaint that panel?!?!?! Does paint drying included in the 4.5? You go to be joking, that's not more than 1.5 hrs at most.
Not sure where you are looking but the paint is not 4.5 hours. R/I (remove/install) is 4.5 because it is a welded piece....Refinish is an hour.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:35 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

youll get different estimates at different shops, get 3. its a good job though, small panel, you can do the whole panel, you dont have to do the whole side, etc
Old 03-01-2017, 03:22 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Originally Posted by HawkFan#12
Not sure where you are looking
I don't know about you Hawk, but don't you think this car needs to shipped back to Germany, have the paint stripped down to the metal, and fully repainted with factory Arctic Silver?

"Anything less than the best is a felony!"

Quote: Vanilla Ice
Old 03-01-2017, 04:27 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by HawkFan#12
Not sure where you are looking but the paint is not 4.5 hours. R/I (remove/install) is 4.5 because it is a welded piece....Refinish is an hour.
Why would you want to suggest to remove that panel? It's a minor scratch, no dent, that can be just touched up to look like nothing happened. Doesn't even need a respray, just a proper touch up with wetsand and polish. This is an extremely minor job.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:15 PM
HawkFan#12
Pro

Originally Posted by b3freak
"Anything less than the best is a felony!"

Quote: Vanilla Ice
Boo! You arent supposed to tell everyone where your quote came from!

And to address lmo000, I was never insinuating the need to R/I the panel. No shop would do that. I will disagree with the comment about just needing touch up paint and a good polish. That sounds like the Maaco way of doing things lol.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:34 PM
por944trs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You dont touch up 92U, that comes from 28 years experience painting porsches for the local dealership.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:41 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Old 03-02-2017, 03:18 AM
silverporsche
Track Day

Well on a good note I just picked my car up from my indie shop.

Fuel pump was replaced. My symptoms were slow cranking when the car was already driven throughout the day, almost to the point it sometimes sounded like it wouldn't fire up. When I went to the car in the morning, the crank would be pretty fast and strong to fire up. Finally the car didn't start up at all so I had to tow it to the shop. (Bought a new battery thinking it was that at first face-palm). Heres pricing incase anyone was curious.

Fuel pump = 397.34 and seal = 12.34 totaling to 409.68 for the part.
Labor was 1.9 hrs @95.00/hr totaling 180.50.

All together with tax and debit card processing fees it was $643.74
Old 03-02-2017, 03:24 AM
silverporsche
Track Day

I'm going to call the tow guy tomorrow to discuss with him that I'd like to have his insurance be responsible for fixing the damage he caused to my car. When you run a service like that where you are handling other peoples vehicles, you have to be ready to take responsibility if you cause any damage.

But judging by the way he acted after realizing he messed my car up (he offered to have one of his buddies do a detail and color sanding job on it LOL), I don't think he's going to do the right thing. I really feel like he's going to deny it and not give me his insurance information so I can go forward with a claim.

If this is the case and he refuses to work with me, what should I do? Please point me in the right direction.

The things I have on my side is camera footage at the indie shop my car got towed to, the owner said he's okay to let me use the footage and also be a witness. He was aware of what happened because as soon as I saw my car got chipped up I brought him over to see what he thought. I also have camera footage from my apartment garage when he was loading the car up on the tow and literally footage of him putting that magnetic light on my car. I didn't take pictures of my car towed, but I have pictures directly from his yelp page of several cars he's towed where he's put that magnetic emergency brake light on that caused damage to my car. My car was also in a very minor love tap accident where I got my rear bumper replaced and I picked up my car from a porsche certified collision center on 2/17. So they have a bunch of pictures of my car at every angle before they started to work on the car and also right after with the finished product.

With all these things, he'd be smart to just cooperate I'm thinking?

Last edited by silverporsche; 03-02-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:15 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by por944trs
You dont touch up 92U, that comes from 28 years experience painting porsches for the local dealership.
Why not?
Old 03-02-2017, 12:20 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

It's rather simple what you need to do if he refuses to hand over the insurance information. You call the police and report what happened. It would fall under the hit-and run category. He damaged your car and refused to hand over the necessary information. The police should then call him and give him one last chance to surrender the necessary information or else they will have to charge him. This happened to me before and worked. Nothing puts the fear of law into someone that a call from the police. Let them handle it, they know what to do. This incident happened on a highway/road/street right-of-way so fall under the police's jurisdiction. Even if it wasn't, you have an independent witness to verify your story.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:10 PM
silverporsche
Track Day

spoke on the phone with him. He was very unwilling to work with me. He said I was being annoying and a headache to deal with. He also said he could just tell me to f*ck off but hes being cool with me.

I gave him options to either work with me out of pocket or through his insurance. He claimed he didn't have insurance.

So I said okay I will go get 3 different estimates and we can go from there. To which he said he will only give me $100. He has a boy whose shop I can go to to get it painted and fixed. I said that's not going to work, if you aren't willing to cover a proper repair than I need your insurance information to go through insurance.

Still claims he doesn't have insurance and he would beat my ***. I recorded this whole conversation lol. What should I do now? File a police report?
Old 03-02-2017, 07:56 PM
silverporsche
Track Day

Called the police, they said there is nothing they can do. This is considered a civil dispute. SMH I really don't know what to do.

I did nothing wrong, got my car damaged, the tow guy is not trying to accept responsibility, refuses to give me his car insurance. So I have nothing to work with.

I created a claim with my insurance, and I guess they are going to try go after him to get his information. But what if he just dodges their calls or doesn't give up his information?

Man I'm just really bummed about this whole situation. I feel like there's nothing I can do to get this resolved
Old 03-02-2017, 08:05 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Originally Posted by silverporsche
Called the police, they said there is nothing they can do. This is considered a civil dispute. SMH I really don't know what to do.

I did nothing wrong, got my car damaged, the tow guy is not trying to accept responsibility, refuses to give me his car insurance. So I have nothing to work with.

I created a claim with my insurance, and I guess they are going to try go after him to get his information. But what if he just dodges their calls or doesn't give up his information?

Man I'm just really bummed about this whole situation. I feel like there's nothing I can do to get this resolved
Looks like your only option is to take him to small claims court.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:13 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 180 Posts

trash him on Yelp and social media

File a report with the BBB

if fail, take hostages

Quick Reply: How much to paint this?