Muffler change and white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 08:59 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Muffler change and white smoke

I took my new (to me) 99 C2 cab (certified) to the dealer last week to address a few things, among them a rattle at idle. The dealership replaced one of the mufflers. I drove the car home to Boston yesterday afternoon, top down (60 degrees out :-), but as I drove for 20 minutes, it started to drizzle, so I pulled over to put the top back up. As the car idled, there was an odor that was reminiscent of burning paper, which I attributed to the new muffler, reasoning that it's fresh metal being heated up for the first time. But when I accelerated hard to get back into the flow of traffic, the car blew a huge white cloud of white smoke. I also noticed some more smoking under hard acceleration (although it's hard to look in the rearview mirror when you are accelerating hard in this car).

Would this smoking be somehow related to the muffler change, or do I have a coolant problem? The car runs strong, temperature seems normal.

Vic
99 C2 cab
Old 11-07-2003, 12:46 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have never seen white smoke from a new Porsche muffler. Be prepared for some bad news... check you coolant level and check your oil for coolant.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:54 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Car seemed fine today ... when you have this problem, can it be intermittent? I'm not super concerned because the car is Porsche certified, so if it was a worst-case scenario, I don't mind a new motor ... and the Cayenne loaner they've promised me when my car's in for service -- just in time for winter.

Vic
99 C2 cab
Old 11-07-2003, 03:31 PM
Toreador
Menace to Society
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What's your oil level at?
Mine smokes quite a bit when the level is at full. Ideally you should have the oil at 2 bars under full in a cold engine.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:56 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hmm ... I'll have to check. Didn't look or smell like oil smoke, though ... it was very white. Having owned several oil-cooled 911s, I know what oil smoke looks and smells like ;-)

Vic
99 C2 cab

Quick Reply: Muffler change and white smoke