996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Parking Magnet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 02:21 PM
OhioMark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 05' 3/4 ton Suburban 4x4 seems to be the anti-magnet as most drivers seem to be afraid to park next to this boat due to my towing mirrors and general size of the vehicle. The OP photo would really **** me off if I came back to my car to find this situation and there are plenty of other spaces.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:30 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

I always try to park next to the farthest handicap stall. But it happens to me when ever I drive my Speedy
Old 02-01-2017, 02:36 PM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6Music
Whenever possible, always choose an end spot and hug the inside next to the curb. Then upon your return, always walk to the side of the car that's vulnerable to do a quick check for damage like some kind of paranoid freak before getting in and driving away. That's my ritual.
I combine this with always taking a cell phone picture of that vehicle next to mine in case I come out to damage...
Old 02-01-2017, 03:08 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just get one of these and you should be fine with plenty of space next to your car
Attached Images  
Old 02-01-2017, 03:18 PM
johneecatt
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whenever possible, always choose an end spot and hug the inside next to the curb. Then upon your return, always walk to the side of the car that's vulnerable to do a quick check for damage like some kind of paranoid freak before getting in and driving away. That's my ritual.
I do this, too. Always hunt for a 'Porsche spot' (my non-car-loving girlfriend even uses that phrase now!).

But even on the end of a sparse lot - I STILL get people that will park right up tight!!
Old 02-01-2017, 03:20 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by steved0x
I combine this with always taking a cell phone picture of that vehicle next to mine in case I come out to damage...
this is so cute and now shareable
Old 02-01-2017, 04:28 PM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Same here, it happens all the time, more far away you park, more people will notice and need to park next to you, exactly like OP's situation. That's why I try to find a largest possible parking spot between already 2 parked cars (not trucks or SUV's). You cannot win in this "hiding" game :-) Cheers,
Old 02-01-2017, 04:57 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

When you park far away you are basically making your car obvious to everyone. I do what flat 6 does and try to find the curb protection as well.

I also just scratched my car pulling the lawnmower out so we are only kidding ourselves.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:09 PM
texcwa
Racer

Originally Posted by extanker
you have to be kidding....right ?
Not sure if he is kidding but I do the same thing, call me crazy but have had too many instances where I arrive home just to see a ding, if I see one I will call them out.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:16 PM
dbarks
Intermediate

You know the OCD is at full tilt when it occurs to you that if the car next to you is too close you get hit because the door hasn't hit the first detent, or too far that the driver thinks there is plenty of room and opens the door with their foot, pushing past the detent and hits you at full swing!

Also need to keep track of the wind. Never park downwind...must be into the wind...
Old 02-01-2017, 05:51 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mrjonger
We have an Element and a Carrera as well. I used to complain about the Element's harsh ride quality and interior noise. After the Carrera, it seems so quiet and the ride feels so supple.
I love the little toaster. De-tuned 1.6L that'll run for a half million miles (or more). Not sure if it's you or another guy but there's a poster on here with a 996, an Element and a beautiful F355. Great minds think alike
Old 02-01-2017, 06:10 PM
m3driver
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess I don't care enough, it's a car
Old 02-01-2017, 06:18 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I do the same.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:21 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wyovino
I see it all the time too. I parked in a completely empty lot (CVS) just before the store opened. I parked at the far end. As I'm walking away from the car, a woman in a giant SUV parks next to me about 12 inches from my car. There was no way for her to open her door without hitting me so I went back towards the car and said "Wait, I'll move". She reacted by saying "Enjoy your mid-life crisis, fat ***!" I told her to make sure she didn't forget to buy tampons and Midol while she was in CVS.
Lol.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:37 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrox
When you park far away you are basically making your car obvious to everyone. I do what flat 6 does and try to find the curb protection as well.

I also just scratched my car pulling the lawnmower out so we are only kidding ourselves.
Very true. It's a balancing act. I parked way out in a very large lot and when I came out of the store it looked like someone kicked in my passenger door. Doesn't look like a bumper or a shopping cart hit it. I still haven't gotten that door repaired yet so that's the side I "expose" to the world when parked.

Quick Reply: Parking Magnet?